PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Hunting Prep?

FlipKing
09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Small area maybe 20 acres(surrounded by more land though). Small pond. Mostly pines, though some hardwood. Big clear cut too. I have a tri-pod in the clear cut, and putting a ladder stand in the pines near the pond. Thinking of salt blocks and corn until the season starts and planting 2 plots of throw and grow. Thoughts or advice?

ekcivic1991
09-17-2009, 08:31 PM
dude since its only 20 acres make a nasty food plot with some good stuff like supper thick. Also just hunt around food plot, find some trials.

Another thing is if you feel like it or have the equipment make your own funnels from bedding areas to the water and to the food plot then hunt thoose. deer will always take a path already made.

And another thing just dont over hunt cause if they feel pressured on that small plot they will stay away

FlipKing
09-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I'll only hunt it on weekendss and christmas break. Its in a very rural area, just the plot I am hunting will be spot. Probaly gonna put the ladder stand behind the pond in some pines. Every use throw'n'grow?

allmotoronly
09-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll only hunt it on weekendss and christmas break. Its in a very rural area, just the plot I am hunting will be spot. Probaly gonna put the ladder stand behind the pond in some pines. Every use throw'n'grow?

throw'n'grow is crap. Use whitetail institute secret spot or imperial no plow. I've always had good results. You can find it at basspro. If you don't have access to a tractor or four wheeler, use a trimmer ("weed eater") with a grass blade or pushmower to clear the area if there is grass growing. Then rake it good with a metal garden rake, not a leaf rake. Try to break up the ground as good as you can, and at least have bare dirt visable. Depending on the size of your plot, make sure to use at least 1 to 2 bags (30-60lbs) of 10-10-10 fertilizer, slightly less if you use 13-13-13, and 100-150lbs or ag lime per 1/4 acre. Without it your plot will probably be disappointing. Put the fertilizer and lime out, re-rake. Then use a seed speader and spread the seed. Then re-rake again. All you have to do after that is hope for a good rain. It takes about a week or two to germinate and start coming in.

FlipKing
09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, I read this AFTER i put all my stuff out,lol, so i guess we'll see. I found a place near the property line that they are jumping the fence from a pasture into the property. near there is oak trees. There I put abt a 10' by 10' throw in groww patch, some deer caine, corn, and a salt block. In front of the tri-pod I found a persimmon tree, put out some deer cain, corn, salt block, and another small patch of throw in grow. all spread out. Should get some decent action this year.

Slomaro Z28
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
GL, looking for meat or a rack?

allmotoronly
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Use acorn rage instead of deer caine. It works so much better.

FlipKing
09-21-2009, 01:34 PM
No real preference as to meat or rack. I just like to hunt. I'm gonna check how those did on saturday and check my deer cam and see whats in the area.

ekcivic1991
09-22-2009, 10:12 PM
dude if you have persimmon trees on that plot then your already set probably lol
put some pics of your food plots when they start coming in

FlipKing
09-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Can do, I'll put up some pics of the deer once I check the camera this weekend.

FlipKing
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Checked the camera, saw 3-4 does, a coyote, and a turkey.

ekcivic1991
09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
kill the coyote

FlipKing
09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I plan to, Thing was beast tho. Lol When I get it i'll take pics. Big ass coyote though

ekcivic1991
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
make sure it aint a dog lol
but man they are hard to kill they are way smarter than most people think