PDA

View Full Version : cam quesions!

blown_ss
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
i guess is this is the right place for this. im wanting to get aftermarket cams. im looking at a stage 3 set up. i know that i have to upgrade my springs and retainers to run the cams but can i use my stock valves? also if i can use my stock valves cant this swap be done with out taking the head off of the block? im really wanting to do this with out taking the head off. any info will be great. thanks in advance.:D

Austin?
09-17-2009, 05:03 PM
can quesions?

Austin?
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
you don't need to take the head off for this up grade>

blown_ss
09-17-2009, 05:21 PM
can quesions?

it says CAM all day long. some more input is needed before i do anything.

Barefoot
09-17-2009, 05:22 PM
stock valves are fine. me personally i would change them if the bugdet allowed. it can be done without changing the head just got to make sure u got a healthy motor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4477803_valve-stem-seals-removing-heads.html

blown_ss
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
stock valves are fine. me personally i would change them if the bugdet allowed. it can be done without changing the head just got to make sure u got a healthy motor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4477803_valve-stem-seals-removing-heads.html

thanks man. i know my motor is fine. 63k on a 05 srt4:goodjob:

Barefoot
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
thanks man. i know my motor is fine. 63k on a 05 srt4:goodjob:
np there is a tool u can get from snap on that does the same thing but its less ghetto ridged.

blown_ss
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
np there is a tool u can get from snap on that does the same thing but its less ghetto ridged.

oh i wont be doing it myself. i wish i could but i dont trust myself. i do everything else to my car, i just dont want to take the chance of screwing up my motor.

Barefoot
09-17-2009, 10:55 PM
oh i wont be doing it myself. i wish i could but i dont trust myself. i do everything else to my car, i just dont want to take the chance of screwing up my motor.
good call

whatever210
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
your gunna need a tune after. yes you can use the stock valves. the reason you need to upgrade springs is because the lift on the new cams that you will be putting in will be much greater than the stock ones. the stock springs will not be able to keep up and then you float a valve. that sucks. so they make tigher springs that can handle the heavy lift.

you can get a compression tester without the guage on it and force a 140lbs of air in th cyl and change out springs without pulling the head if you have a valve spring comressor that work from the top like i did. the air will force the valves up and stay up in order to swap springs. this is the tool i used on my h22 in order not to pull the head after i built it and then decied to put valve seals in.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/whatever210/BPGy0gWkKGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKqmiV1i.jpg
like i said i was able to force air in cyl using the compression tester and a air compressor and this tool from up top without taking the head off. oh and always made sure the valves were pretty much closed when i did this so youll have to turn the bottom half to get it where you want it.

blown_ss
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
;)
your gunna need a tune after. yes you can use the stock valves. the reason you need to upgrade springs is because the lift on the new cams that you will be putting in will be much greater than the stock ones. the stock springs will not be able to keep up and then you float a valve. that sucks. so they make tigher springs that can handle the heavy lift.

you can get a compression tester without the guage on it and force a 140lbs of air in th cyl and change out springs without pulling the head if you have a valve spring comressor that work from the top like i did. the air will force the valves up and stay up in order to swap springs. this is the tool i used on my h22 in order not to pull the head after i built it and then decied to put valve seals in.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/whatever210/BPGy0gWkKGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKqmiV1i.jpg
like i said i was able to force air in cyl using the compression tester and a air compressor and this tool from up top without taking the head off. oh and always made sure the valves were pretty much closed when i did this so youll have to turn the bottom half to get it where you want it.

yep. i have the knowledge to do it but im not willing to take the chance. i would rather have a shop do it instead of me taking the car apart and then not being able to put it back together. thanks for all the help guys.;)