PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on tipping

40th GT
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
So in class today we got on the subject of restaurants which inevitably led to "tipping." The teacher picks on me and asks how much do I usually tip.
I reply with, 15%. Because that's the minimum that I leave even if I get mediocre-bad service, and more if the service is excellent.
Then the reaction I get from the class and the teacher is something along the lines of, "that's too little!" "20% or bust!"
And I was thinking they're right and I should leave the extra 5%+ from now on.

But a quick google search on tipping returned these results (the top 2 on the list)
http://www.essortment.com/all/tipping_rdef.htm
http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping2.htm
which got me believing (again) that 15% is acceptable.

And..
I did not force you(the wait staff) into your career nor did I set your $2.13 per hour. So don't chastise me for that missing 5%!
<puts on flame suit>

IDK. Maybe cheap bastards like me should just stick with fast food.

Ms Dollar
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
20% is definitely the new minimum

oneSLOWex
09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
If the service is good....I tip 20% or more sometimes but if its bad they get less....and if its really bad (not refilling drinks, slow, messing up orders...etc.) they get nothing.

nreggie454
09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
20% is definitely the new minimum
Disagreed. 15% is acceptable, but I usually tip more anyways.

Ms Dollar
09-16-2009, 08:24 PM
So in class today we got on the subject of restaurants which inevitably led to "tipping." The teacher picks on me and asks how much do I usually tip.
I reply with, 15%. Because that's the minimum that I leave even if I get mediocre-bad service, and more if the service is excellent.
Then the reaction I get from the class and the teacher is something along the lines of, "that's too little!" "20% or bust!"
And I was thinking they're right and I should leave the extra 5%+ from now on.

But a quick google search on tipping returned these results (the top 2 on the list)
http://www.essortment.com/all/tipping_rdef.htm
http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping2.htm
which got me believing (again) that 15% is acceptable.

And..
I did not force you(the wait staff) into your career nor did I set your $2.13 per hour. So don't chastise me for that missing 5%!
<puts on flame suit>

IDK. Maybe cheap bastards like me should just stick with fast food.

If I looked at both of those articles correctly, they are from 2002. I know that's only 7 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that the standard has changed. :rolleyes:

40th GT
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
If I looked at both of those articles correctly, they are from 2002. I know that's only 7 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that the standard has changed. :rolleyes:

Restaurants. This really is dependent on the restaurant in question. Those at the lower end of the market only need tipping the region on 15%. For more formal sit-down meals you should expect to pay along the lines of 20-25% of the cheque.If the staff go the extra mile for you then you should really thank them by tipping a little extra for their work.
This article (different one) is from 4/28/09.
http://eerietravelsecrets.com/americas-tipping-etiquette

98blackcivic
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
just fucking put up to 7 dollars in singles
seriously, the ppl who do this probably had oppurtunities the rest of us get, its not our fault you decided to be a whore and have a baby @ 16 and now youre waitin tables to raise your little mistake! so you fucking complain that 15% is not enuff?!

i only tip when i feel the waiter has been nice, we dont owe em shit!

40th GT
09-16-2009, 08:33 PM
And what about the staff at Sonic? Do they expect a tip at both the drive-thru and the drive-in?

40th GT
09-16-2009, 08:34 PM
seriously, the ppl who do this probably had oppurtunities the rest of us get, its not our fault you decided to be a whore and have a baby @ 16 and now youre waitin tables to raise your little mistake! so you fucking complain that 15% is not enuff?!

Agreed and repped.

Ms Dollar
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
just fucking put up to 7 dollars in singles

I seriously hope you don't go out to eat with that nasty fuckin' attitude. We wait on you hand and foot basically because your piece of shit self is too fuckin' lazy to make your own food. So if it's not too much to ask, the least you can do is tip us for the job that we do. Now granted I am not saying all servers deserve awesome tips, but for the ones that do their job and do it well make sure you take care of them.

FYI: I work at the Punchline down in Sandy Springs. I used to work in an office, but am in the restaurant industry right now because it is easier to go to school full time while working. Oh yeah, I didn't have a baby at 16, shit I don't even have a baby now. Did it ever occur to you that maybe some people like waiting tables? I get to meet new interesting people every time I work, and I get to watch free stand up comedy.

Oh yeah, one more thing. :2up:

deathrex
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
It all depends on the service that I got. Shit service I might leave you a penny. Other times that I've had excelent service I've tipped more than my bill. Average service I'll leave 20-30%. So in reality I wouldn't go off of the standard. I'd just go off of how your servvice was and what you thought they deserved.

40th GT
09-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I seriously hope you don't go out to eat with that nasty fuckin' attitude. We wait on you hand and foot basically because your piece of shit self is too fuckin' lazy to make your own food. So if it's not too much to ask, the least you can do is tip us for the job that we do. Now granted I am not saying all servers deserve awesome tips, but for the ones that do their job and do it well make sure you take care of them.

He did say he tips when the waiter is nice. :shrug:

nreggie454
09-16-2009, 08:40 PM
And what about the staff at Sonic? Do they expect a tip at both the drive-thru and the drive-in?

I tip a dollar if I have one when I go to Sonic. Otherwise, no tip. They literally walk 20 feet and thats it.

Barefoot
09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
im a 25% if service is good to great 15-5% if its not. i dont have high standard for good service either. i do know shitty service when i see it.

smoknlegend
09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
For me I dont normally have a percentage that I'll give. I normally give a base of like $3-4 and go up accordingly. After I hit like $20 on the bill, ill go higher on the tip but below that im already giving like 20 percent. If I take a few people out, or go out with a few people, i may tip more only because I know a group of different people is a pain in the ass for the waiter at times (loud, obnoxious) and not only that, but i know some dont tip accordingly in the group. As far as the older majority i know, they often tip like 18%.

Whats funny is I overheard some people when i was in the hospital for the flu a few weeks ago complaining about tippers, one mentioned they asked the person if they wanted change on their bill, and the guy said "Im gonna tip ya but not that much." The guys bill was for like $37.85, and he gave her $40.

deathrex
09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I tip a dollar if I have one when I go to Sonic. Otherwise, no tip. They literally walk 20 feet and thats it.

I don't tip at sonic. They get full pay there. They always look at me like I'm a cheap bastard. Lol oh well I'm nit trying to impress some highschool Teens.

Mrs.Vtecace23
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I have heard that it should be 18% but I usually give 20%. It really depends on the service I get what I leave. I at least leave some loose change if they are really bad though.

98blackcivic
09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
It all depends on the service that I got. Shit service I might leave you a penny. Other times that I've had excelent service I've tipped more than my bill. Average service I'll leave 20-30%. So in reality I wouldn't go off of the standard. I'd just go off of how your servvice was and what you thought they deserved.

Yea i tip when service is good...if youre genuinely nice to me, even if am feelin broke, ill still leave tips knowing i may feel the burn later, and ive even left $2-3 for bad waiteresses. Theres been times ive over tipped and times when i couldnt do much, but i tip when service is good.

and i am sorry, to the nice waitresses, like ms dollar, who are like my sister and enjoy waiting tables(my sister just gets $10/hour and is not allowed to take home tips((shes works @ garden plaza, old ppls home)))
but the reason i feel strongly about this is ive had waitresses who have that FAKENESS and i can tell they arent really enjoying their jobs...and i never tip the hos at hooters cuz they have fake attitudes!

flame on

Evil Goat
09-16-2009, 09:15 PM
15% is the minimum i'll give with crappy service.....anything over 20% better come with a blowjob....

Nittanys1
09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I always tip well but if I have a bad experience fuck tipping, I'll call the manager over to my table and I get my meal comp'd!

MachNU
09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
wow I tip 10-15% if it is good. Hell think of it this way. average tab for 2-3 (food, drinks(age 21+)) is around $50. Therefore $5 tip. Doesnt seem like much but...at the same time the server is probably waiting 4-5 tables. So if each table was there for average of an hour and each table had the same rate/tip thats almost $30 an hour. If that person averages that for 5-8 hours a night 4-5 days a week, there making plenty money.

But maybe its just me and I have had jobs where it is tip dependent and I think of it as a average per how many at the time.

nismo_92
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
i leave like 5 bucks

40th GT
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
As much as I love statistics I should've posted a poll.

But it seems like the consensus is 20%.

MachNU
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Hell plus for you people tipping %20. Imagine on a table with gratuity(sp) where theres probably 5 checks to a table. That one person for serving the table for 2 hours would probably walk away with $100+ in tips on top of the other tables they where working!

IndianStig
09-16-2009, 10:39 PM
i used to tip 20-25%
but with todays economy i only tip 10-15%

lulzzzzzzz

ShooterMcGavin
09-16-2009, 11:02 PM

yep, we're now in a recession, i don't tip at all...

ShooterMcGavin
09-16-2009, 11:03 PM
wow I tip 10-15% if it is good. Hell think of it this way. average tab for 2-3 (food, drinks(age 21+)) is around $50. Therefore $5 tip. Doesnt seem like much but...at the same time the server is probably waiting 4-5 tables. So if each table was there for average of an hour and each table had the same rate/tip thats almost $30 an hour. If that person averages that for 5-8 hours a night 4-5 days a week, there making plenty money.

But maybe its just me and I have had jobs where it is tip dependent and I think of it as a average per how many at the time.

wow, subjective much? for the sake of those waiting on you i hope you frequent applebees/chilis/tgif and not upscale restaurants...

quickdodgeŽ
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
There was a thread on this same crap not a week or so ago. Damn people and the lack of a SEARCH. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
USE THE GODDAMN SEARCH FUNCTION!!! (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251031&highlight=tipping)

Later, QD.

HeLLo iM iZzY
09-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I swear we get these threads like every month now.

Holy fuck.

HeLLo iM iZzY
09-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Ahhh....I didn't even bother going to page 2.

Good job QD.

ShooterMcGavin
09-16-2009, 11:12 PM
There was a thread on this same crap not a week or so ago. Damn people and the lack of a SEARCH. Later, QD.

their search fu is weak

quickdodgeŽ
09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
their search fu is weak

I found that thread just fine using SEARCH THIS FORUM. Later, QD.

OnURleft
09-16-2009, 11:17 PM
wow, subjective much? for the sake of those waiting on you i hope you frequent applebees/chilis/tgif and not upscale restaurants...

Do you think anyone of that caliber has the taste to go anywhere nicer? He doesn't need to go to any resturants, life with a father who didn't know shit probably had other affects too

40th GT
09-16-2009, 11:24 PM
USE THE GODDAMN SEARCH FUNCTION!!! (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251031&highlight=tipping)

Later, QD.
I do a search every time I wanna start a thread in case the topic has been discussed before - hence my low post count.

There were various threads on tipping and most of them were rants from servers complaining about meager tips, which don't really answer my question.

quickdodgeŽ
09-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I do a search every time I wanna start a thread in case the topic has been discussed before - hence my low post count.

There were various threads on tipping and most of them were rants from servers complaining about meager tips, which don't really answer my question.

You never really asked a question AND, if you'd read the thread that is currently ongoing in my link, you'd see that this is NOT a thread about rantings from servers, but a thread pretty much exactly like this one. Later, QD.

40th GT
09-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I still got a bunch of replies though. :tongue1:

VooDooXII
09-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I tip 20% for good service.

The lowest I've ever tipped was like 34 cents because I just rounded off to the next dollar. They guy didn't show much interest in collecting our checks...seemed like he just wanted to chat it up with the table right next to us. He even had the audacity to give us the "just a second" finger.