PDA

View Full Version : Ride height issue after new springs

KREEP
09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Ok just had tein s techs installed on my Lexus is 300.
(springs have been on the car for well over a month)
The left rear is sitting half an inch higher than the right rear. Looks like everything was done right. The right rear looks to be exactly the way the s tech drop should look but the left is all jacked up. Wtf??? does anyone know what this could be? Blown strut???But wouldnt that make the car lower than higher?
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5170_1.jpg
See the height difference?????
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5171_1.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5174.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5175.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5177.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5176_1.jpg

Barefoot
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok just had tein s techs installed on my Lexus is 300.
The left rear is sitting half an inch higher than the right rear. Looks like everything was done right. The right rear looks to be exactly the way the s tech drop should look but the left is all jacked up. Wtf??? does anyone know what this could be? The shop is saying blown strut but wouldnt that make the car lower than higher?
got a pic

KREEP
09-15-2009, 10:59 PM
got a pic No pics... you really can tell if you are looking at the rear of the car and if you are on the driver side. tape measure shows a half inch difference

Barefoot
09-15-2009, 11:23 PM
No pics... you really can tell if you are looking at the rear of the car and if you are on the driver side. tape measure shows a half inch difference
na i mean of the setup installed not of the whole car.

like this

KREEP
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
na i mean of the setup installed not of the whole car.

like this no but I can get some in the morning. I will be jacking it up and taking a look.

Barefoot
09-15-2009, 11:52 PM
no but I can get some in the morning. I will be jacking it up and taking a look.
np

KREEP
09-16-2009, 12:50 AM
someone said this on my.is forum

(it might not be settled yet. also, if they torqued the suspension mounts while it was in the air, then the bushings could be torquing the suspension on that side. If I were you, I'd loosen the lower shock mounts, put a jack under the control arm to lift it up, then retorque. If that doesn't fix it, then it might have been installed wrong (people make mistakes ... some people just don't care) so if that's the case, I'd take it back to the shop and ask them what's up.)
\
Does this sound right????

JITB
09-16-2009, 12:53 AM
im sure it is, but are the springs on the right place. the rears in the rear, and the front in the front?

KREEP
09-16-2009, 01:03 AM
im sure it is, but are the springs on the right place. the rears in the rear, and the front in the front? shit...I hope so Lol. I am jacking it up in the morning and checking it out.

J-ROCK
09-16-2009, 02:36 AM
damn never heard of that problem! try the torquring thing and see if that fixs it

HillClimbGuy
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
it has to settle first have the driven the car at all yet?

letting your supension settle is very important i have seen many cases where poeple install coilovers or springs and shocks and do not break in/settle the springs and the next day they crash because of it being unstable. just drive it normal for a day or to and see if it evens out then.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM

letting your supension settle is very important i have seen many cases where poeple install coilovers or springs and shocks and do not break in/settle the springs and the next day they crash because of it being unstable. just drive it normal for a day or to and see if it evens out then. Its been more than a month or two.

D3UC3S
09-16-2009, 10:28 AM
u sure they didnt send u the wrong spring???

like a stiffer one accidentally got put in with your set? It does happen

KREEP
09-16-2009, 10:31 AM
u sure they didnt send u the wrong spring???

like a stiffer one accidentally got put in with your set? It does happen I will be double checking but I am pretty sure that they are correct.:crazy::boobies:

KREEP
09-16-2009, 01:18 PM
anyone a mechanic that could help me out???? That is close to Athens or jefferson/jackson county

AnthonyF
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
anyone a mechanic that could help me out???? That is close to Athens or jefferson/jackson county

A mechanic isn't going to be able to fix a broken or incorrect part. Did you check to see if the springs were the same? Where are the pics? I would call up tein and ask them. That's the smartest thing to do.

-Ant.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
A mechanic isn't going to be able to fix a broken or incorrect part. Did you check to see if the springs were the same? Where are the pics? I would call up tein and ask them. That's the smartest thing to do.

-Ant.
Would they just send 1 wrong spring? And how could i tell if the 1 is wrong?

Barefoot
09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Would they just send 1 wrong spring? And how could i tell if the 1 is wrong?this should answer your question
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253095

D3UC3S
Would they just send 1 wrong spring? And how could i tell if the 1 is wrong?

its happened before...

KREEP

-Ant.
The spring isnt broken....it could be incorrect or installed wrong. I also know or heard that when installing the springs on an is300 they cut the bumpstops. Would that have anything to do with the ride height?

Elbow
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Has it been like this since they were installed? Or is this recent?

I've seen this before with cars that had a different rate spring on accident on one side. They don't say rates on them do they?

KREEP
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Has it been like this since they were installed? Or is this recent?

I've seen this before with cars that had a different rate spring on accident on one side. They don't say rates on them do they? How could I tell ? I will look on the springs. Call me I texted you earlier to see if Jesse could look at it for me

Elbow
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
How could I tell ? I will look on the springs. Call me I texted you earlier to see if Jesse could look at it for me

I got a new phone I will text you.

http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/obtainium_titanium_spring4s.jpg

Shows the spring rates, if it has them, check them. I am sure they didn't install the fronts on the back or anything you'd know VERY easily.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok im going to jack it up take the wheels off and take pics.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok pics are up Look at the side view pics of the gap between the tire and the wheel well. The gap difference is half an inch. The lower side looks to be the right height for the Tein s tech drop. The other side look jacked up!?!?!

Elbow
09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, like Jesse said I think the higher side is the side that's messed up. I don't see anything wrong from the pics how the springs are sitting. You have all the same size tires right? lol.

Do you know which pic of what side is what? Like which pic of the spring is right and left?

EKSedan97
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
You can tell by the position of the calipers.

EKSedan97
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Pass.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5174.jpg

Driver

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/MILESHPEEBLES/IMG_5175.jpg

Elbow
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
^Good point haha.

Elbow
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Is the top of the spring on the driver side sitting right?

EKSedan97
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Can't tell from the pics, but do both springs have the same thing written on them? If not then that could be the problem.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, like Jesse said I think the higher side is the side that's messed up. I don't see anything wrong from the pics how the springs are sitting. You have all the same size tires right? lol.

Do you know which pic of what side is what? Like which pic of the spring is right and left?
LOL Tires are all the same.......Would the bumpstops being cut make any difference in ride height?. I just think something wasnt done right.

EKSedan97
09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Would the bumpstops being cut make any difference in ride height?

Possibly depending on if the pass. side is making contact and limiting it from going up any further.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 07:11 PM
yeah I am no mechanic so I have no Idea if the bumpstops have anything to do with ride height.

03RCode
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
If when they cut the bumpstops down they left one taller than the other the car could be resting on the bumpstop causing it to sit higher on that corner.

Threadjack:
When are we playing SOCOM negro?

G.C
09-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Easiest way, Switch springs. See if the problem goes to the other side, if so you found your problem.

If not, You know something is wrong on that side. Start from there, guessing doesn't help.

EKSedan97
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
if it's sitting on the bumpstop then it would be a pretty harsh ride. You would know from driving it if it was the bumpstop or not.

Elbow
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah I doubt it's riding on the bump stops.

The swapping springs isn't a bad idea if it's at Jesse's shop taken apart anyway.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah I doubt it's riding on the bump stops.

The swapping springs isn't a bad idea if it's at Jesse's shop taken apart anyway. Yeah II just took the bottom bolt loose and jacked it up and I am letting it sit there for a few minutes . Then tighten the bolt and if that doesnt work to Jesses I go

HillClimbGuy
09-16-2009, 10:42 PM
This may sound weird but could you get a side shot it looks like you may have an camber issues. Did you get it alinged after the spring install, camber can make one side look lower or higher.

KREEP
09-16-2009, 11:35 PM
This may sound weird but could you get a side shot it looks like you may have an camber issues. Did you get it alinged after the spring install, camber can make one side look lower or higher. yessir hennesy lexus did the alignment after the install... I can get pics in the morning.

GGPIS3
09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
here's another idea... shot in the dark. do you have a full tank of gas? if not, try going and filling it up all the way, then look again. the IS uses a saddle tank and its possible that you may have more gas on one side. i doubt that is the case, but figured it was worth a try lol

KevinT707
09-17-2009, 12:19 AM
OR just tell your friends to ride on the side that's higher.

Problem solved!

speedminded
09-17-2009, 12:53 AM

letting your supension settle is very important i have seen many cases where poeple install coilovers or springs and shocks and do not break in/settle the springs and the next day they crash because of it being unstable. just drive it normal for a day or to and see if it evens out then.I guess they have to blame it on something lol! Of course it's not driver error dicking around because they got new suspension.

speedminded
09-17-2009, 12:58 AM
LOL Tires are all the same.......Would the bumpstops being cut make any difference in ride height?. I just think something wasnt done right.
If when they cut the bumpstops down they left one taller than the other the car could be resting on the bumpstop causing it to sit higher on that corner.

Threadjack:
When are we playing SOCOM negro?ummm, that would mean the car is SITTING ON THE BUMPSTOPS lol! Try again.

KREEP
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
here's another idea... shot in the dark. do you have a full tank of gas? if not, try going and filling it up all the way, then look again. the IS uses a saddle tank and its possible that you may have more gas on one side. i doubt that is the case, but figured it was worth a try lolSo funny you said that! First thing I did was put a full tank of gas in. Didnt work. Then I tried Jacking the car up and loosening the lower mount bolt while jacked up under the lower control arm and that didnt work. I am just fucking stumped. Maybe the spring rate on that side is wrong? I may want to get you guys to take a look and see what it could be.

KREEP
09-17-2009, 01:23 PM
ummm, that would mean the car is SITTING ON THE BUMPSTOPS lol! Try again. Yeah man It didnt sound right but I am no mechanic so this is all Japanese to me.:goodjob: I have no Idea. I need help. Srings were put on then it was aligned and driven home. No horsing around no crazy stuff. I have no Idea. If it needs new struts I have some already lined up ready to go. I just don't want to throw money at something that can be easily fixed with just some slight ajjustment with the new springs. SOMEONE HELP ME

speedminded
09-17-2009, 01:26 PM
So funny you said that! First thing I did was put a full tank of gas in. Didnt work. Then I tried Jacking the car up and loosening the lower mount bolt while jacked up under the lower control arm and that didnt work. I am just fucking stumped. Maybe the spring rate on that side is wrong? I may want to get you guys to take a look and see what it could be.Compare the part numbers. If they're the same then switch the springs left to right and see what changes.

KREEP
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Compare the part numbers. If they're the same then switch the springs left to right and see what changes.
As soon as I get a hold of a lift I will try that. If the problem goes to the other side I know its the spring and if the problem doesnt go away and stays on that side the it would be what?

Barefoot
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Compare the part numbers. If they're the same then switch the springs left to right and see what changes.that would be my last and final guess.

EKSedan97
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
If the part #'s are the same then save yourself the time of swapping them. I would look to see if they are the same or not. I asked you this yesterday and you never checked them...

KREEP
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
If the part #'s are different then save yourself the time of swapping them. I would look to see if they are the same or not. I asked you this yesterday and you never checked them... Yes they are the same

EKSedan97
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Well there shouldn't be any difference in them whether you swap sides or not. I would look into the strut being shot and needing replaced then.

speedminded
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Well there shouldn't be any difference in them whether you swap sides or not. I would look into the strut being shot and needing replaced then.If the springs are swapped and the height changes respectively then that means the spring rates are different. If it stays the same then further inspection of all components needs to be done.

*sigh* The strut/dampener/shock has NOTHING to do with the ride height. Otherwise it would be humanly impossible to compress them even the slightest millimeter.

EKSedan97
09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
There could be some internal failure only allowing the strut to compress so far. So yes I would look into them.

speedminded
09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
There could be some internal failure only allowing the strut to compress so far. So yes I would look into them.Advice from someone that doesn't even know what car they own? ;)

EKSedan97
09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Advice from someone that doesn't even know what car they own?

:goodjob: Sure. At least I own a car well 3 to be exact.

KREEP
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
If the springs are swapped and the height changes respectively then that means the spring rates are different. If it stays the same then further inspection of all components needs to be done.

*sigh* The strut/dampener/shock has NOTHING to do with the ride height. Otherwise it would be humanly impossible to compress them even the slightest millimeter.
Lol i think you two should fight it out! No seriously....so the shock/strut should not make the car higher or lower if the shock is blown? Well then it could only have been installed wrong. Or is the wrong spring rate.:goodjob:

EKSedan97
09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
so the shock/strut should not make the car higher or lower if the shock is blown? :goodjob:

not according to that guy...

KREEP
09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I just talked to a Tein Tech rep. He said that the ride height will not be affected by the struts/shocks even if they are blown. Not in any way ...up or down left or right. The only thing is that they could have been installed incorectly

KREEP
09-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Compare the part numbers. If they're the same then switch the springs left to right and see what changes. Thanks man for the help! repped

EKSedan97
09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I just talked to a Tein Tech rep. He said that the ride height will not be affected by the struts/shocks even if they are blown. Not in any way ...up or down left or right. The only thing is that they could have been installed incorectly

I don't care what they say I've got proof in my trunk that a damaged strut affect the ride height. I managed to mess one of mine up today installing my Tein S-Tech springs and it wouldn't compress but maybe 2-3" and would stop. If you're gonna be at Tunerfest tomorrow I'll bring it and show you firsthand. :cheers:

speedminded
09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
:goodjob: Sure. At least I own a car well 3 to be exact.None of them are an EK.

I don't care what they say I've got proof in my trunk that a damaged strut affect the ride height. I managed to mess one of mine up today installing my Tein S-Tech springs and it wouldn't compress but maybe 2-3" and would stop. If you're gonna be at Tunerfest tomorrow I'll bring it and show you firsthand. :cheers:How much travel do you expect from a stock dampener? How much do you think a spring compresses when you set a car on it? Why are you attempting to compress a shock that much to begin with? How did you manage to "mess up" a shock installing a spring?

Read the box on your S-Tech springs. I guarantee you it says "Stylish Spec Dress-up Master Kit" right? That means it's a show only part with zero performance or handling aspects. It's nearly as soft as a stock spring. Just saying.

KREEP
09-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't care what they say I've got proof in my trunk that a damaged strut affect the ride height. I managed to mess one of mine up today installing my Tein S-Tech springs and it wouldn't compress but maybe 2-3" and would stop. If you're gonna be at Tunerfest tomorrow I'll bring it and show you firsthand. :cheers:

But would it make the shock/springs ride half an inch higher than the other side