PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft?

THEONE
09-14-2009, 11:39 PM
ok i finally got a good core and tore it down for my rod and piston up grade.the guy i go it from said it was rebuilt new bearings and rings,and by the looks of it thats true.

my question is do i need to get the crank turned to use better bearings?? or can i just swap them with the stock replacements that were in there? the crank looks to be perfect with no scoring ir discolored spots and the bearings were fresh.

i want to be sure cause i have heard of people re using stock cranks with stock spec bearings and they work perfectly for a long time. is this true?

Barefoot
09-15-2009, 12:14 AM
if the crank as been stored in the block tq down. i wouldnt worry about anything other than scars on the journals but if everything is good there. u might just want to have it polished and sized for bearing just to be sure oem is what u need. then call it day.

THEONE
09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
if the crank as been stored in the block tq down. i wouldnt worry about anything other than scars on the journals but if everything is good there. u might just want to have it polished and sized for bearing just to be sure oem is what u need. then call it day.

yeah its been on the block right now its standing on end in the corner until i decide what im gonna do. ive got bearing numbers from the old ones i could cross refrence those right??

Starrfire
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
don't turn it, honda cranks are only flash hardened, turn the crank and you take the hardness away. Then your crankshafts life is much shorter and you will probably spin a rod bearing much sooner also. That is unless you spend several hundred dollars to get the crank re-hardened.

dirtragz
09-15-2009, 01:59 AM
^ what he said

98blackcivic
09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
yo you tryna build a non vtec d ?

THEONE
09-15-2009, 11:51 AM
yo you tryna build a non vtec d ?

yes sir,no vtec for me :D

never been a fan of vtec and i would also like to add i feel the same way about the jdm trend lololol