PDA

View Full Version : Alright. Question for you smarty pants.

Black Mamba
09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
What type of topology is used when customers in an area use DSL modem for data transfer purposes? How about when they use cable modem for data transfer purposes?

cobalt9123
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
DSL modem for data transmission between what? Cable modem for data transmission between what?
Each other? Other people on internet? Other people in the star bus ring data stream?
Are they all connected to the central modem using a switch or do they all have their own?
Too little information :)

Allshow97
09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm assuming your talking about hooking two sites together and transfer data between sites?

If so, then a VPN tunnel is needed, and you need a device that can establish those tunnels. You can get a VPN Router fairly cheap these days and set up a trust relationship between the two sites via IPSec or SSL.

If you talking about a simple home network then usually a star topology is used.

Like cobalt said, more info is needed in order to answer this question fully.

Black Mamba
09-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Ding ding ding. Star topology was what I was waiting on. However, my question is that - is star topology used in BOTH DSL and cable?

jorgen
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
If we are talking about the connection between the user and the internet...
I'm gonna go with physical star, logical bus...
Oh... I'm sorry.

The internet is a Mesh topology.

My evidance for physical star, logical bus....
http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/nu_lectures/lecture13/DSL/DSF_topol_1.gif

Black Mamba
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
^ LOL. wut

I'm talking specifically about the user and the internet (DSL and CABLE)

jorgen
09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Like I said... The home network is a physical star, logical bus, the internet itself is a Mesh. So it's really a comibination of those two.
I guess you could just call it phys star, log. bus.

Tarzanman
09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
You taking classes at ITT or something?

guinness
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Like I said... The home network is a physical star, logical bus, the internet itself is a Mesh. So it's really a comibination of those two.
I guess you could just call it phys star, log. bus.

well described.:goodjob::goodjob: