PDA

View Full Version : 2010 U.S. Skyline Owners Meet Planning

Type-R
09-13-2009, 08:33 AM
This year we kicked off our 1st annual meet as a organized group and had a fairly good attendance being that it was the first of it's kind. While we were there I spoke to the owners of ZDAYZ to allow us Skyline guys to tag along and be included in the show and events. So next year (2010) we're hoping for a even better meet with lots more Skylines.

Details and event coordination is being discussed and updated here, http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5024

speedminded
09-13-2009, 08:41 AM
[Facepalm] How many of these skylines are legal? I'd expect a U.S. Customs road block with a large scale meet...

Type-R
09-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for posting nothing relevant to the meeting.

Is your car/s legal?

If I had a nickle for every e-thug and kid in the country that said "Are those legal? Those things are illegal" I'd be a fucking rich bastard.

speedminded
09-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for posting nothing relevant to the meeting.

Is your car/s legal?

If I had a nickle for every e-thug and kid in the country that said "Are those legal? Those things are illegal" I'd be a fucking rich bastard.I'm willing to bet I know as much or more than any Skyline owner regarding the importation of models less than 25 years old.

Yes, all my cars are both state AND federally legal and have never been on the "no import" list.

I'm very well aware the R33 is federally legal but I know R32's and R34's will be present as well. Those federally legal are far and few between.

The relevance is me stating my opinion on how such a bad idea it sounds for a large scale gathering of federally illegal cars. Prove me wrong.

teh_mugen18
09-13-2009, 09:28 AM
The relevance is me stating my opinion on how such a bad idea it sounds for a large scale gathering of federally illegal cars.

lol when you put it that way...:rolleyes:

Type-R
09-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Prove me wrong.

http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3916

The objective of this thread is regarding a meet, not the legality of cars.

People have legal Skylines, it's a fact... get over it.

I'm willing to bet I know as much or more than any Skyline owner regarding the importation of models less than 25 years old.

Then you would know that swapping a B18C5 USDM or JDM, doesn't matter, into a Integra that didn't originally come with that motor is a violation of the clean air act, http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/ read up. That applies to domestic and imports alike.

Cleanest B18C5 ITR swap
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/470820
The Go
� New B18C5 [Type-R] from Acura - (now w/ 40k+ miles)

NickW
09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm willing to bet I know as much or more than any Skyline owner regarding the importation of models less than 25 years old.

lol, Hold yourself in high regards much?

I'm very well aware the R33 is federally legal but I know R32's and R34's will be present as well. Those federally legal are far and few between.

The relevance is me stating my opinion on how such a bad idea it sounds for a large scale gathering of federally illegal cars. Prove me wrong.

Not that it matters that anyone prove you wrong...but what you mean is another gathering, right? lol

JDMJAYDC2
09-13-2009, 09:58 AM
very nice site i like the brotherhood of the skyline owners hopefully i can join the site soon....

The Youngn
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Umm...he actually is giving some advice that really pertains to the meet and would help a lot of the owners out instead of bashing like you guys are making him out to be doing.

NickW
09-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Well it's all about presentation. You can say the same thing 5 different ways. It's not as simple as him just giving friendly advice.

JDMJAYDC2
09-13-2009, 10:11 AM
that would suck if you guys had a meet and the cops showed up i hope that doesnt happen

quickdodge®
09-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with the way he put it, lolol. Remember, you can't tell "tone of voice" through text. Later, QD.

Type-R
09-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Umm...he actually is giving some advice

Hardly, we (Skyline owners) take offense when misinformed non-Skyline owners try and tell us we have illegal cars. You and everyone else doesn't know dick about my car or anyone else's car so to tell us "Hey, dude, you know your car is illegal right?" is stupid.

1) You have no clue when my, or anyone else's car came in the country
2) In reference to #1, you have no clue who brought the car/s in

that would suck if you guys had a meet and the cops showed up i hope that doesnt happen

Why? What do cops ask for? License, registration and proof of insurence..... check, check, and check... what now? It's not illegal to have a steering wheel on the right side. We don't promote illegal activitey nor do we endorse it.

NickW
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM

Ya, then there would be a lot of skyline owners biting there tounges then, huh? lol, it's not the local cops you have to worry about, it's the feds...that is, if you're illegal.

I didn't see anything wrong with the way he put it, lolol. Remember, you can't tell "tone of voice" through text. Later, QD.

True. That is what I said, err typed, isn't it, lol. But all I'm saying is that you can come across different ways, depending on how you present whatever message you're delivering.

quickdodge®
09-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Lolol @ offense.

OK folks, that's enough in here:

This is the EVENT section and is here to post events.

Let's keep it on topic, please.

This will be the only warning to everyone (myself included) to keep it to the meet and not to trash talk and bullshit.

Thanks. Later, QD.

JDMJAYDC2
09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
you have a pm
Why? What do cops ask for? License, registration and proof of insurence..... check, check, and check... what now? It's not illegal to have a steering wheel on the right side. We don't promote illegal activitey nor do we endorse it.[/quote]

Ya, then there would be a lot of skyline owners biting there tounges then, huh? lol, it's not the local cops you have to worry about, it's the feds...that is, if you're illegal.

you may very well be correct i will be the first to say in a total noob when it comes to skylines and whats legal i was only stating the fact i know how much of a hastle it is to deal with ignorant cops ive been in the passenger seat when this has happend to a friend of mine with his skyline its not a fun half hour

True. That is what I said, err typed, isn't it, lol. But all I'm saying is that you can come across different ways, depending on how you present whatever message you're delivering.

speedminded
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3916

The objective of this thread is regarding a meet, not the legality of cars.

People have legal Skylines, it's a fact... get over it.

Then you would know that swapping a B18C5 USDM or JDM, doesn't matter, into a Integra that didn't originally come with that motor is a violation of the clean air act, http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/ read up. That applies to domestic and imports alike.I don't think you understand I have NOTHING against Skylines. I'm the one offering LOGICAL advice when you very well know there are more illegal skylines than legal ones on the road.

Bet you didn't know I purchased my engine brand new from an Acura dealership and RETAINED the charcoal canister, stock catalytic converter, and everything else pertaining to emissions huh? Are you attempting to tell me all the engines that get replaced at dealerships are illegal per the EPA too? My engine had a block code stamped by Honda of America so it was also 100% DOT legal too. State the law(s) Georgia has regarding replacement engines, this isn't California or any other state that requires you to register the replacement engine with extensive CARB/EPA rules. If it was, it would have been done. The only thing you could get me on is swapping out the steering wheel with an OEM Honda version without an airbag. Why would you attempt to change the subject to Honda's/Acura's? lol!

lol, Hold yourself in high regards much?

Not that it matters that anyone prove you wrong...but what you mean is another gathering, right? lolI have read the DOT, EPA, and NHTSA manuals and all the required forms regarding importing automobiles. The ONLY Skyline legal to import is the '96-98 GTS & GTR. Docket number NHTSA-2005-22654. Then you have a few select examples of R34's that were made federally legal...very few. Since Motorex, how many R34's from have been made federally legal? 0? 1? 2? Even most of the Motorex cars didn't conform to the EPA/DOT/NHTSA requirements but they scrapped through and were granted immunity.

I know you have meets, again, I have NOTHING against Skylines. The original post said, "(2010) we're hoping for a even better meet with lots more Skylines." It's a nationally advertised event that's "bigger and better" that concerns me. Remember, I'm the one thinking logically here. I'm thinking the worst case scenario and I'm not going to say "I told you so" when a dozen people get on the boards after a 2nd annual nationally advertised Skyline meet saying they lost their cars.

If there is nothing to worry about then why should any Skyline owner get defensive?

Ziptied
09-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I know that big things are changing REALLY soon, even for motorex cars.... im glad I got rid of my GTS-4........

Type-R
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
when is zdayz?

it's May 20 - 23, 2010

quickdodge®
09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Lolol @ offense.

OK folks, that's enough in here:

This is the EVENT section and is here to post events.

Let's keep it on topic, please.

This will be the only warning to everyone (myself included) to keep it to the meet and not to trash talk and bullshit.

Thanks. Later, QD.

NO MORE!

Thank you for cooperating. Later, QD.

jfman
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Literaly hundreds if older skylines roam the streets here in Montreal.

Type-R
09-14-2009, 06:59 AM
when is zdayz?

May 20 - 23, 2010

Type-R
09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
test

Type-R
09-14-2009, 07:05 AM
vb error

Elbow
09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I'll be there in my BMW doing doughnuts.

Doppelgänger
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Meh, I tihnk what Speedminded is trying to say is to be careful not to attract the attention of the DHS..since they have nothing to do buct suck shaft and hunt down "illegal" Skylines.

Correct me if I am wrong, but having a registered car doesn't mean it was sent/exported to the states "legally"...as in stolen and shipped to another country. I don't own one, so i've never looked into every nook and cranny of what is and is not illegal to have. Also, has anyone noticed a pattern to the cars that are being head-hunted? Regardless, the fact that our government gives a crap about a handful of cars is outrageous.

Type-R
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Meh, I tihnk what Speedminded is trying to say is to be careful not to attract the attention of the DHS..since they have nothing to do buct suck shaft and hunt down "illegal" Skylines.

Correct me if I am wrong, but having a registered car doesn't mean it was sent/exported to the states "legally"...as in stolen and shipped to another country. I don't own one, so i've never looked into every nook and cranny of what is and is not illegal to have. Also, has anyone noticed a pattern to the cars that are being head-hunted? Regardless, the fact that our government gives a crap about a handful of cars is outrageous.

I understand what he may have been trying to say but my point was that people who own Skylines don't care to hear that, we hear it every day. There's lots of legal Skylines floating around yet 90% of everyone who doesn't own one thinks that when they see one it's illegal.

Since June the federal government (HLS and EPA) have been investigating "short digit vin and import cars" to include JDM and Euro's, everything grey market or even bond released. The focus of the investigation is to verify each and every car that's registered to ensure it has proper documentation (ie: EPA compliance and release papers, NHTSA release) Cars that have those papers are cleared and sent on their way. The objective is to nab the cars that don't have those papers. Additionally, HLS and CARB have built a case submitted to the Department of Justice against ALL Kaizo cars. Their process was simple, back track all Kaizo cars to their current owners and then send them a letter to export the cars "or else". What's being done about that is we (Skyline owners) came together to fight "the man" and aim to keep the cars where they are. So there is a behind the scense court battle underway to keep Kaizo cars at bay. The speculation is that once HLS/EPA is done with Kaizo they will move onto all other import cars (civics, silvias, etc.) The larger spectrum of this is that the EPA's main battle is motors in the Kaizo cars, everything would be fine and dandy if they had no motors but when you put the original motor back in or any motor for that matter then the EPA get's into the mix.

That was also my further point that motor swaps are a violation of the clean air act. Most people don't realize that. For that guy's example:

Bet you didn't know I purchased my engine brand new from an Acura dealership and RETAINED the charcoal canister, stock catalytic converter, and everything else pertaining to emissions huh? Are you attempting to tell me all the engines that get replaced at dealerships are illegal per the EPA too? My engine had a block code stamped by Honda of America so it was also 100% DOT legal too. State the law(s) Georgia has regarding replacement engines, this isn't California or any other state that requires you to register the replacement engine with extensive CARB/EPA rules. If it was, it would have been done. The only thing you could get me on is swapping out the steering wheel with an OEM Honda version without an airbag. Why would you attempt to change the subject to Honda's/Acura's? lol!

I don't give a shit if President Obama put you motor in your car, illegal is illegal, violating the EPA rules is what it is. Just because you kept your original emissions from the car doesn't mean you can go and put a motor that didn't originally come with THAT CAR. Just because it's a Integra doesn't mean a Type-R motor is ok to go in it, by the EPA rules it has to be the SAME motor code. The thing is that it's such a small and lame rule that no one enforces it or thinks about it, but it's there.

Which brings me to my next point, some mad tite JDM swap owner thinks he's going to tell me that he's more spun up on all of this then "any Skyline owner" is just funny. I haven't been doing this since 2004 or anything, haven't owned and imported handfuls of cars or anything. I have no clue what I'm talking about. Nevermind the fact I used to live in Japan and do this still all the damn time. Forget the fact that I'm the head community leader for the Skyline community in the U.S. and own SkylineOwnersUSA.com I have no clue what I'm talking about though.

I hope the information is solid now and everyone gets the picture. I don't often come off as a dick or asshole but when I simply try to pass the word about a meet going on and the first reply I get is someone who doesn't even own a Skyline saying:

[Facepalm] How many of these skylines are legal? I'd expect a U.S. Customs road block with a large scale meet...

as well as a number of other things only for that person to try and spout off that he knows his shit and we've all got illegal cars is just laughable, don't expect me to sit by and let the misinformed misinform everyone. I always stand to correct the misinformed so that the rest understands the proper information. It's people like that who cause everyone else to think it costs $40,000 to import a car properly.

Back to the subject:

Date of the meet - May 20 - 23, 2010
Location - http://tailofthedragon.com/maps_loop.html | http://www.fontanavillage.com/

Doppelgänger
09-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I always get a kick out of people when they see a RHD car and instantly think that just because the steering wheel is on the "other" side, that is what makes a car illegal lol

Thanks for the info though. I have not heard most of that stuff and am glad I know that much more now :goodjob:

Vteckidd
09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Hardly, we (Skyline owners) take offense when misinformed non-Skyline owners try and tell us we have illegal cars. You and everyone else doesn't know dick about my car or anyone else's car so to tell us "Hey, dude, you know your car is illegal right?" is stupid.

1) You have no clue when my, or anyone else's car came in the country
2) In reference to #1, you have no clue who brought the car/s in

Why? What do cops ask for? License, registration and proof of insurence..... check, check, and check... what now? It's not illegal to have a steering wheel on the right side. We don't promote illegal activitey nor do we endorse it.

Facts are as follows

Unless you have a FEDERALLY LEGAL Skyline , then any skyline is here ILLEGALLY. Whether it has as state title or not, its ILLEGAL. WE have been over this 10000000 times.

Pretty much the only LEGAL skylines left in the country were the old MOTOREX cars because they were the only ones that possessed the NHTSA paperwork to make them DOT compliant.

So all Jason is saying is, given the recent crackdown on Kaizo and other Skyline importers with Homeland Security, advertising a public gathering where i would bet 90% of the cars are illegal, prob isnt the smartest idea.

But hey im sure you guys know what you are doing just be careful

Vteckidd
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
you are correct about engine swaps, luckily we live in GA where the average cop doesnt know the difference.

Just like my RHD silvias i owned, the average cop didnt know it was from Japanland.

But try ANY of that in California and your car is seized/crushed/refed to oblivion.

Just because we can get away with it here doesnt mean its legal, same goes for Skylines or any RHD car.

Chances are, if it is RHD, it is ILLEGAL because the car doesnt have any Federal safety paperwork allowing the car to be on the road. DOes that mean your average cop is gonna pull you over? no. Does it mean if the RIGHT cop pulls you over you can lose the car, YES.

speedminded
09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Facts are as follows

Unless you have a FEDERALLY LEGAL Skyline , then any skyline is here ILLEGALLY. Whether it has as state title or not, its ILLEGAL. WE have been over this 10000000 times.

Pretty much the only LEGAL skylines left in the country were the old MOTOREX cars because they were the only ones that possessed the NHTSA paperwork to make them DOT compliant.

So all Jason is saying is, given the recent crackdown on Kaizo and other Skyline importers with Homeland Security, advertising a public gathering where i would bet 90% of the cars are illegal, prob isnt the smartest idea.

But hey im sure you guys know what you are doing just be carefulNo matter how many ways you say it, it won't be comprehended. He will never admit to a majority of them being federally illegal.

FAM0U5
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
you are correct about engine swaps, luckily we live in GA where the average cop doesnt know the difference.

Just like my RHD silvias i owned, the average cop didnt know it was from Japanland.

But try ANY of that in California and your car is seized/crushed/refed to oblivion.

Just because we can get away with it here doesnt mean its legal, same goes for Skylines or any RHD car.

Chances are, if it is RHD, it is ILLEGAL because the car doesnt have any Federal safety paperwork allowing the car to be on the road. DOes that mean your average cop is gonna pull you over? no. Does it mean if the RIGHT cop pulls you over you can lose the car, YES.

this man speaks the truth...
on a side note I'm glad I didn't get a skyline... cause all I have to deal with is people saying "look it's the fat and the furious!"
:blah::lmfao:

Type-R
09-15-2009, 04:54 PM
No matter how many ways you say it, it won't be comprehended. He will never admit to a majority of them being federally illegal.

What is to comprehend? What is said was exacally my point and my directed comments were to you that YOU do not know the details about anyone's car therefor it's silly for you to ASSUME that someone's car is illegal where infact YOUR car is the one running a motor swap.

I'm not worried about my Skyline, I have Motorex paper work sitting in my glove box. As for the rest of the owners on the website most I know are Motorex and others have their own details I don't know of. I'm not the import police nor are you or anyone else on this forum. Facts are facts and thanks to the internet it's very easy to research the correct and proper information pertaining to matters.

I never once said that just because a car has a title means it's 100% legal. I said what do cops ask for? License, registration, proof of insurence. Once that's cleared they cannot do anything because there is this wonderful thing called jurisdiction that you seem to not understand. A Cobb county cop cannot issue a ticket in Dekalb, he has to sit and wait for a Dekalb officer to show up to issue the citation. It's no different with federal matters such as something that pertains to HLS/ICE/NHTSA who has jurisdiction over imported vehicles. State police can verify VIN's but investigations fall more towards theft and fraud division of the DMV HQ for the state.

Another item that seems to need some clarification here, bond release. Just because a car has a "bond release" paper which basically is nothing more then a 1 page document typed up saying they received the request papers from the registered importer saying the vehicle is compliant HOWEVER the NHTSA has not inspected or reviewed the vehicle therefor they reserve the right to inspect the vehicle in the future. The release of the vehicle is not confirming that the vehicle meets all FMVSS. There are copies of bond releases available to view on the internet, you will find the wording to be nearly exact but somewhat different. Most Motorex guys I know have very similar worded documents.

Furthermore, I personally know one of the key Motorex guys and I hate to tell you but Motorex cars are NOT 100% legal. There's many that have no OBDII and incorrect manufacture years listed on titles to get around OBDII (1997 listed at a 1995). Motorex also used a "black box" to slip past OBDII and emissions testing during the compliance processing at G&K. Near the end of Motorex a lot of the cars didn't get any compliance work done but were simply passed through. There was absolutely nothing put in writing that those cars were good to go or "graced" and the question has always remained, though they have the release paper what happens if the NHTSA decides to later inspect the vehicles? That's also one of the things we'll be handling in court following the Kaizo case.

Vteckidd
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I think this is just a misunderstanding. Jason didnt mean any harm although perhaps he could have worded it a little more friendly.

You guys just be safe and watch your back is all he was saying. With the Feds taking so much interest in the Skylines or any imported car, just be careful where and how you post . Thats all.

Hope you guys have fun, and look forward to lots of pics :)