PDA

View Full Version : question about how to get a TITLE

dohc_ls
10-12-2005, 10:27 AM
i didn't know if this was the right place to post but move this as you please to where it needs to be mods.

i bought a car from my friends cousin., but he didn't have the title because it was in his cousins name( he couldn't have anything under his name), but his cousin was in jail and supposedly is gettin out this week, i went to go meet up with the guy i bought it from, but for some strange reason he was hiding from and wouldnt come out of his house.

i have a bill of sale between me and the guy, stating i gave him such amount and when i get the title i will pay him the rest.
but it's looking like this dude is going to flake on me.

i talk to a friend and he said i could put a mechanic lean on it or something like that. you guys no anything else i can do to get a title?

99SI
10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
NEVER EVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT A TITLE!!!!! You are in a pickle. Mechanics lein will not apply. You will have to go to small claims court. Threaten to go to court unless he produces the title. Im sure that if he is that kind of guy even if you went to court you will end up losing in the end. It will be hard and take a long time before you see any money back. If you will PM me the car/vin number/previous owner, I will go onto the GRATIS website and do a title search and find out exactly whose name the vehicle is registered under. I have access to the GRATIS site from my office( I sell cars) so it won't be any trouble.

dohc_ls
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
hey i mike is gonna give you a call later and talk to you about my situation...i'm a friend of his...i kno i'm stuck in a bind

Schugg
10-12-2005, 09:29 PM
find a totaled out car with a clean title and swap the vin plate on the dash, im sure its illegal, but its all i know of that u can do. i would only recommend that if u cant ever get th etitle from the guy.

99SI
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I never did hear from Mike last night unless I missed him. I'll try to get with him today and see if I can help you out. Once again for good measure, NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT A TITLE!!!!! DO NOT EXCHANGE ANY MONEY UNTIL A TITLE IS PRESENT AND YOU SEE THAT IT HAS NO LIENS, IS IN THE PROPER PERSONS NAME AND NO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE BACK OF THE TITLE HAVE BEEN SKIPPED. EVERY TIME AN INDIVIDUAL SELLS A CAR IT HAS TO BE TRANSFERRED!!!! IF THE BACK OF THE TITLE HAS MORE THAN ONE TRANSFER ON IT IT WILL BE NO GOOD!!! A TITLE CAN NOT GO FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER WITHOUT BEING TRANSFERRED THROUGH THE STATE!!!! If anyone has a question about a title before you buy a car from an individual please contact me, I'll be glad to help you. Screwed up titles can be the biggest pain in the ass you have ever had to deal with.