PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Cam gear setting on a stock B series

NosVette
09-13-2009, 01:20 AM
What would you guys recomend to set the cam gears on a stock gsr and b16?Some people said advance the intake 2 and retard the exhaust 1 but idk :thinking: lmk whats your opinion... Thanx

bigdare23
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM

EmminoDaGreat
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
You should set them at 0,0 unless you can properly degree them in with a degree wheel etc.

Starrfire
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
It also varies with what setup you are running, to get the very least overlap and correct v2v clearances. P2v clearances are also important, but I doubt you are going to check those.

scttydb411
09-13-2009, 09:03 PM
stock cams on relatively stock motor are optimized @ 0,0. now here is where the "i heard if you go 2* adv on intake it's better, yadda-yadda". unless you're tuning it on the dyno and can see what/where it's improved it's worthless.

also, those that say adv the intake will yeild more power typically don't go back and re-adjust the dist timing. what they have effectively done is advance the dist timing and added some overlap. the added dist timing can and in many cases improve power, but is the cam gear adj what really did it or is the dist that did it? if you were to be talking aftermarket cams then degreeing them based on specs w/ a degree wheel, adjusting them to suggested settings (skunk2 is really good about this and really close), or adjusting them during a dyno session as long as you know you'll have enough p2v clearance.

basically, what i'm trying to say is keep it @ 0,0 because that's probably going to be the best spot anyway and/or get it on a dyno and see if you're really doing any good anyway. just be sure to check, re-check and adj the distributor each time you make adjustments.

Vteckidd
09-13-2009, 10:54 PM
0,0 all you really do is shift power around, you might make more top end but lose lots of midrange.

Stock cams are designed to be run at 0.0

dirtragz
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Samhonda95
09-25-2009, 01:40 AM
0,0 all you really do is shift power around, you might make more top end but lose lots of midrange.

Stock cams are designed to be run at 0.0

:werd: