PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Intercooler Spray Bar

Nemesis
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-080108/?image=large

Has anyone tried that? How much does it cost to fill that bottle?

Any other reccommendations on kits?

1NonlyAccord
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
i converted a NX wet kit into one,using that spray bar and that blue momentary switch.
the only problem i had was the line was not long enough,so i had to search on ebay for another one and attatched both together from a brass fitting from ACE.

i ended up filling it with nitrous and spent 40/45$(10lb bottle) cant remember. but i heard c02 will cost 15$.

Mr. Antonov
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
A buddy made a pretty basic one for next to nothing.. except his was just water so it's not as good but it still helps.

crashtke
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I really think your money is better spend elsewhere. I forget where it was, but there was an article done that showed that there was next to NO gain from these. The ones where Nitrous was used, they found minimal gains and also observed that nitrous was getting into the intake. The ones where Co2 was used they actually saw hp loses for the same reason.

TSiFTW
09-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I really think your money is better spend elsewhere. I forget where it was, but there was an article done that showed that there was next to NO gain from these. The ones where Nitrous was used, they found minimal gains and also observed that nitrous was getting into the intake. The ones where Co2 was used they actually saw hp loses for the same reason.

Oh nooo:no:. You definitely do not want Co2 to get into the intake. Yikes. A friend did that to a go cart motor one time and the outcome was funny. Anyways I have never heard of any respectable gains from doing this though.

Turbodude06
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I always heard that these were good gains, and didn't hurt the motor at all but I have no personal experience with them:no:...............

crashtke
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
I have yet to see dyno proven independent results...other than managing to get a little nitrous into the intake ;) But if you are after that, why not just spray it in directly and quit messing about!

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
this is a gimmick like the motorized fan in the intake

Dwisforme05
09-14-2009, 08:59 PM
you dont want it man. your already pushing it on stock internals. Shit starts breaking normally after 450-475 rwhp on a stock 3v. enjoy the boost

edit- just saw that it was a c02 kit. lol. when you think about it, it makes sense cuz it SHOULD cool the air going to the FMIC.

Nemesis
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Guys im not talking about spraying N2O or CO2( LOL @ that) into the motor.

Im talking about pure track use to freeze the intercooler before a run, especially on a hot day at the track to prevent detonation.

The Youngn
09-14-2009, 11:33 PM
You could use some nitrogen on it instead...lol. Plausible

SampaGuy
09-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Im talking about pure track use to freeze the intercooler before a run, especially on a hot day at the track to prevent detonation.

Maybe have a buddy spray it with a fire extinguisher? Then you don't have any extra weight. I never heard that this would prevent detonation, I thought it was just to get that 1% extra power at the start. Hell by the time you hit the 60ft mark it will be hot already lol. For that price you might as well just save a little more and get the biggest possible intercooler, if detonation is your concern.

Z0_o6
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
meth/water injection. much better solution, imho.

SampaGuy
09-15-2009, 02:01 PM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://deathofaugust.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/reading_fail.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFT3ojh5__BhDTvUbaKC_0d8vEh3g

David88vert
09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
When you spray the intercooler with a chemical that can evaporate and remove heat quickly, it helps you gain a cooler, more dense, charge of air.

If you wish to test it, put your car on a dyno and make 2 pulls. Now, spray your intercooler with denatured alcohol and make another pull. You will see an increase in measured power. On a mostly stock FD RX7, we saw a gain of 13rwhp.

Water, N2O, CO2, and alcohol all can remove heat.
Is it worth the cost? That's up to you. If your intercooler is small and is getting hot, and you do not have enough room for a bigger intercooler, it probably is. If your IC is not getting warm, it probably isn't.

crashtke
09-15-2009, 07:03 PM

Right, the point was that the Co2 or No2 that you are spraying goes somewhere.....and in independent testing they found that some of it get sucked up through the air intake...not directly, but they watched it happen. They found NO gains from the sprayer in and of it self. Now the alcohol (or just water like the stock Sti) will remove heat through evaporation. That I have seen gains from. The co2/no2 sprayers I have yet to see any decent results.

Dwisforme05
09-15-2009, 08:04 PM
i dont see why it wouldnt work but like most said it might not b worth the money.

see if you went with an AFTERCOOLER you could dump a bag of ice in the reservoir before you run. lol.

i cant wait to see some times with this kit george, gonna be nasty

punkr6
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
not worth the $$$