PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 2002 WRX input

Stormhammer
09-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Anyone advise me on what to look out for problem wise?

yerrow
09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
new bolts, like it was modded by the last owner and then brought back to oem specs to sell

Nemesis
09-11-2009, 08:15 AM
See how the transmission shifts into first from a slow speed rolling stop. Thats one of the top things I would look for. Check for an up-pipe. Anyone that mods a Subaru in those earlier years knows to replace that ASAP. Thatll give a good sign as to the "stockness" of the car. They are fairly hard to install/remove so during trade in people forgot about them most of the time.

Deke
09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Basically what they said^

I don't know about the whole shifting into first thing though. My car had trouble going into first when it was brand new. 90,000 miles later and it's still running strong. The tranny is notoriously weak in these cars though.

atlxpat
09-13-2009, 02:13 AM
transmission transmission transmission
02 wrx's are known for weak transmissions, usually 1st and 2nd are the gears that will go out
i've heard that 03 wrx's are better

Slomaro Z28
09-13-2009, 09:44 AM
STi........just sayin'.

Marta Mike
09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Drive the car with the windows up and everything off to ensure the transmission is not making noise. Make sure all four tires are equal in tread. If not this will cause issues with the awd system and you may end up replacing a center diff later on down the road. Turn full lock in a circle make sure there is no binding, you feel a lot of binding/resistance in the drivetrain the center diff is probably going. Check the oil and diff fluid. Does it smoke? Look down in between exhaust and tranny to see if axle boots are torn, the same for the drivers side as well.