PDA

View Full Version : question about sohc vtec

98blackcivic
09-09-2009, 03:32 PM
a friend of mine once pointed out that you can tell if its non vtec if the spark plugs are at back end of the head, and if its vtec, spark plugs are towards to front of the valve cover....

honda guys, you know wat i mean...
anyway i doubt this is true, even tho it seems so like 99% of the time...the 1%, d16y7 has spark plugs on the front of the valve cover..

whats the deal here?

green91
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Its much easier to just look for the vtec solenoid on the back corner of the head near the distributor. But yes typically the sohc vtec engines have the spark plug tubes toward the front of the vehicle (the d16z6 and d16y8 do) but the y7 is also toward the front.

Barefoot
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Its much easier to just look for the vtec solenoid on the back corner of the head near the distributor. But yes typically the sohc vtec engines have the spark plug tubes toward the front of the vehicle (the d16z6 and d16y8 do) but the y7 is also toward the front.i was thinking that y not just look for the solenoid sounds so simple. i mean i understand what he is talkin about and its a good piece of useless info to know.

98blackcivic
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
lol yea it is pretty useless...
idk me and my friend were talkin bout cars and what not and he pointed that out...
i was just being random..im gonna tell him hes slightly wrong...

so honda just didnt give the y7 the solenoid? diff ecu too i bet

once again...random discussion

green91
09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Theres more to the vtec system than a solenoid and ecu. Maybe you should do some more research

http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html

98blackcivic
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
LOL yea i forgot cams, dizzy and im sure theres still more