PDA

View Full Version : computer problem

EJdm
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
so my buddy gave me a computer that he said a friend built it for him and all i needed was a hard drive...i put in a hard drive and it doesnt work no power nothing...does anybody here know how to check what the problem may be??? ohh and i dont know anything much about or about computers...

Skorcher
09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Power supply or motherboard, first two things to check and most common. Power supplies are fairly cheap. Not sure where you're at, but I have a power supply tester. I'm an IT Admin in Kennesaw, I see this sort of stuff on the daily.

Allshow97
09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but is the power switch on the power supply itself turned on? If it is and you aren't getting anything out of the computer then 9 times out of 10 it's a power supply, which as already stated usually tend to be pretty cheap.

jorgen
09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

Does the power supply fan come on?
You can test the power supply with a volt meter if you have one, see the wiki.
Be careful.

If you touch anything inside the computer, take the following precautions:
Don't do it on carpet, STATIC KILLS
Since the power supply is in question, do not leave it plugged in.
Sometimes I leave it plugged in and hold on to the case to ground it.
Touch the case before working on any components.

30v will kill your motherboard. Now how many volts it takes before you can feel it depends on other factors like Amps. However, you could kill the motherboard, not feel it, and thus likely not even know.

EJdm
09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
thanks guys i'll check everything out...im in auburn so kenn is pretty far for me...lol reps for every1

cobalt9123
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Try taking out 1 stick of RAM in addition to the comments already posted.
If that doesn't work try taking out the other RAM stick and place the other in the primary mem slot.
If that doesn't work try disconnecting the CD drive/floppy drive and see if it will boot.
If that doesn't work you probably need a new motherboard/Power supply or your BIOS is messed up.