PDA

View Full Version : Misc Television Shopping. Any input?

DieselNuts
09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
So I have been researching TVs for quite some time now and have it narrowed down to a couple sets: The Samsung UN55B8000 and the LG 55LH90. Both of these TVs have the LED back lit technology though the LG seems to have done a better job executing it. I am looking for LCD sets and NOT plasma. To the best of my knowledge, plasma is a dieing design and many manufacturers are dropping the design from their line up in the near future if they haven't done so already.

My problem is that I don't want to buy something next week, then have some new and improved technology come out by Christmas and my new TV become obsolete. Now, I understand that it will happen eventually because of the fast pace technology is advancing but you know what I mean.

I have heard of a new Laser technology coming out. Mitsubishi released a TV last year that uses lasers but it is a Projection style TV and debuted at about $8K. I want a "wall hanger" & I am trying to keep the purchase under a maximum of $3500.

If anyone has been doing research or is up to date with all the latest television technology, please give me your :2cents: Thanks in advance:goodjob:

Slomaro Z28
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I know its probably cheaper than you're looking at, but I loved my 37" Vizio.....and now they have a 55", thing has an amazing picture and an awesome price tag. Down side is no LED backlight or awesome tech stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-55-Class/ip/10993799

Scotsman
09-08-2009, 07:35 PM
just sold a 55" rear projection for $50 , tell me the mofo who i sold it to got the PIP to go off the first day , i lmao!

Slomaro Z28
09-08-2009, 07:36 PM
One I posted is a LCD "wall hanger"

punkr6
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
just get the one you want the most, no matter what you get, It will be on sale in two months from your date of purchase anyway.

DieselNuts
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I know its probably cheaper than you're looking at, but I loved my 37" Vizio.....and now they have a 55", thing has an amazing picture and an awesome price tag. Down side is no LED backlight or awesome tech stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-55-Class/ip/10993799

That doesnt look too bad, especially for the price. I have heard good things about Vizio, but I have also heard that they are too new of a company to have long term reviews of their product.

I would really like to get a 240Hz model, but have also heard that rating could be jumping up to close to 500Hz in the near future as well as 1080 going higher... Anyone have info on this?

Scotsman
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
just sold a 55" rear projection for $50 , tell me the mofo who i sold it to got the PIP to go off the first day , i lmao!:thinking:

DieselNuts
09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
just get the one you want the most, no matter what you get, It will be on sale in two months from your date of purchase anyway.

Oh, I'm aware of that. I first started looking at the Samsung about 4 months ago and it has dropped nearly $1500 since then...

Really, my biggest concern is with the upcoming technology more so than my TV going on sale.

DieselNuts
09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
just sold a 55" rear projection for $50 , tell me the mofo who i sold it to got the PIP to go off the first day , i lmao!

That wasn't the spider man TV was it? lol

Scotsman
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
That wasn't the spider man TV was it? lolyessir , still there when i sold it:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

DieselNuts
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
yessir , still there when i sold it:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

God, that's awesome! Glad you got some use out of that bad boy!

Scotsman
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
God, that's awesome! Glad you got some use out of that bad boy!it served me well the years that i had it (even with the PIP there):cheers:

DieselNuts
09-09-2009, 02:16 PM
anyone?

DemonEyez
09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
well. its unfortunate that all these rumors about plasma's have hurt them

in a room with controlled lighting, a plasma produces the best pictures. They are not good for rooms with alot of direct light though.

If you do decide to get plasma, pick up a panasonic. The only one that is worth it.

For LCD if you indeed intend on a 3500 budget u wont go wrong with a XBR 8 or 9 from Sony. nearly any reputable place u look at for reviews will not question the quality of the tv only the price.

www.avsforum.com can give you alot of good insight and information into TV's home theaters, speakers etc.

DieselNuts
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
sweet. thanks for the info

Deke
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
If you do decide to get plasma, pick up a panasonic. The only one that is worth it.

QFT. I love my 42" Viera. I've got a friend with an LG lcd and another with a Vizio lcd, and I think mine looks better than both.

DemonEyez
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
QFT. I love my 42" Viera. I've got a friend with an LG lcd and another with a Vizio lcd, and I think mine looks better than both.

cus it does.

plasma's are generally better than lcd for picture. darks. contrast, motion etc. but any kinda direct light just kills it.