PDA

View Full Version : 88 EF - Arc'd Alternator - PLEASE HELP ME!

cpearson
09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a 88 EF Hatch with the 1.5 Dual Point FI motor. I just bought the car and it ran fine, but I wanted to give it a tune up. I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, air filter, fuel filter, changed the oil & filter, and replaced the PCV fitting and hose. When trying to get ahold of the hose underneath the intake manifold, my ratchet hit the hot wire (I'm assuming its hot,) coming to the alternator. It made a quick spark, because I was being careless and did not disconnect the battery cable. Anyway, I checked all the fuses underneath the dash and in the engine bay. I found a blown 60 AMP battery fuse. I replaced that. The car started right up. It then sat for about 2 hours. I was not able to start it at that point. I tried jumping it off to no avail. I then rolled it and popped the clutch. It starts like that. I let it run for a minute and shut it off. I was able to start it right back up. After driving it home and letting it sit overnight, it still wouldn't start without popping the clutch. I tried shutting it off and starting it up again after it ran for about 30 minutes, but it would not start this time. I just got back in from getting the battery checked at AutoZone. He said the battery was going bad, but it had enough juice to start the car. I'm at a loss...I'm going to try to trace the wiring down to see if I fried anything, but I just needed some advice from you guys. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is my daily and I need it to get back and forth to work! Thanks guys!

Barefoot
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
pretty yah start searching for anything that looks like it could have burnt with the wire. there really isnt all the must i can think of other than that. an getting a new battery. a battery can sometimes still start the car even if its bad.

cpearson
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I gotcha. I tried a new battery, but it's not working. I'm going to take the starter out tomorrow and test it. I think it may be the starter solenoid...who knows.

revized_DX
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I gotcha. I tried a new battery, but it's not working. I'm going to take the starter out tomorrow and test it. I think it may be the starter solenoid...who knows.

make sure you are getting a good connection on your starter signal wire too! sometimes come loose and have to hit the connector with pliers to get it to hold on to the starter! had trouble for a while with an intermitten no start for a while. will look connected but chance its not! just something to look for as well...