PDA

View Full Version : Obama Addresses the Students....

AirMax95
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Link here if you are interested and at work.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

quickdodgeŽ
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Doesn't play anything.

I'm going to talk to my daughter's school and see if they will be showing any of these talks. If so, she may have a couple of absents on her future record. Later, QD.

AirMax95
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Sorry about that. The live stream stopped right after the speech ended.

Total_Blender
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Can't wait for comment from the peanut gallery on this one...

quickdodgeŽ
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
My daughter got in on this one. Forgot all about it and had the date wrong. If another comes around, she'll miss it. Common sense will tell you this is crap. Later, QD.

Total_Blender
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Its a speech where he tells kids to stay in school. How is that objectionable? When I was a kid we heard speeches from Reagan and Bush 41 in school.

I guess you kids are too young to remember Nancy Reagan and "Say NO to Drugs". Or the "President's Fitness Challenge" that used speeches from every single American president since JFK.

If all of you oppose "government involvement" in your kids education, maybe you should consider sending them to schools that aren't ran by ... you know ... the government. :screwy::lmfao:

quickdodgeŽ
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Its a speech where he tells kids to stay in school. How is that objectionable? When I was a kid we heard speeches from Reagan and Bush 41 in school.

I guess you kids are too young to remember Nancy Reagan and "Say NO to Drugs". Or the "President's Fitness Challenge" that used speeches from every single American president since JFK.

If all of you oppose "government involvement" in your kids education, maybe you should consider sending them to schools that aren't ran by ... you know ... the government. :screwy::lmfao:

Is that to me (or folks like me)? And who is a "kid" to you? Someone that has 11 years on you of life? I was getting into middle school the day you were born, man. I have a daughter only a couple of years younger than you. I'm no "kid."

It's not the President's job to "tell the children to stay in school." It's the parent's job. It's my job. And your "comparison" above is almost like apples and oranges. The same as it is used to help further the populace into a better/healthier/more educated living, but the above wasn't blasted and broadcast into every school in the Nation. I was there. I know.

And before you keep the insults flying my way, it has nothing to do with Obama. I voted for the man. Later, QD.

BanginJimmy
09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
The speech has changed significantly since this was first brought to everyones attention. Also, most of the controversy in this speech wasnt so much the actual speech, it was the lesson plans that were handed out for after the speech. It had such things as guided discussions on "what I can do to help the president".

Did a quick search and coupldnt ind it. Anyone got a copy of the lesson plans?

Total_Blender
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
, it was the lesson plans that were handed out for after the speech. It had such things as guided discussions on "what I can do to help the president".

It was the lesson plans that were changed. Also, I remember W. asking kids to write him letters about something or other. And Laura Bush was big on encouraging kids to read.

QD, I wasn't speaking particularly to you, but to the forum in general. I know you have a few years on me, but the average age on IA is about 20 so thats the "person" I am speaking to when I write posts with the plural form of "you" like that.

Nancy Reagan/say NO to drugs was EVERYWHERE in the mid/late '80's when I was in grade school. It was in the schools, it was on TV. We actually watched drug awareness videos with the first lady and the prez. himself in them. You might say that drug-awareness, children's fitness, encouraging reading, etc etc is the parents' job too.

zspeed24
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

81911SC
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
If I had kids they wouldn't have been there.

81911SC
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
the average age on IA is about 20I love how you just guess and call it "average". :lmfao: Reminds me why I don't read half your posts.

BanginJimmy
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Why is it important that we listen to the president and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

Maybe I am a cynic, but this sounds to me like they are telling these kids that the govt is always right and the govt is who you go to for answers.

A few other sketchy questions were also in there but could go either way depending on context. I will come back to this when I have time to actually watch the speech. I will also comment on the 6-12 lessons.

BanginJimmy
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM

x2

quickdodgeŽ
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Nancy Reagan/say NO to drugs was EVERYWHERE in the mid/late '80's when I was in grade school. It was in the schools, it was on TV. We actually watched drug awareness videos with the first lady and the prez. himself in them. You might say that drug-awareness, children's fitness, encouraging reading, etc etc is the parents' job too.

It was everywhere. But it wasn't a broadcast to every single school to drive home the point. It was a campaign against not only an unhealthy act, but an illegal act. Although not going to school can be a "criminal act," you can get around it to where it isn't. You can't get around to where cocaine is legal.

And I don't see a "might" when it comes to it being my responsibility for my child's well-being. It is a "so" thing. It IS my responsibility. I don't know if you have children so I can't make any straight forward remarks on that, but your posts make it seem as if you do not. If not, wait until you do and you may think differently.

There won't be a next time for mine. Later, QD.

TIGERJC
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Damn republicans are scared of everything, or is it just a black man.

*Special Fox News Report*
President Hussein Obama the terrorist that was not even born in the u.s., is at it again. Just like his death panels, he now wants to harm our kids by talking to them about staying in school and improving themselves.

*Breaking News*
Sarah Palin calls on the insane idiots that make up the far right that are scared of their own damn shadow to stand up against this awful message that will be directed to our kids.

TIGERJC
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Hopefully you never reproduce (we have enough idiots) or you turn out to be another right wing hypocrite that rather blow a guy in a airport bathrrom

quickdodgeŽ
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Hopefully you never reproduce (we have enough idiots) or you turn out to be another right wing hypocrite that rather blow a guy in a airport bathrrom

I said the same thing, man. Later, QD.

Total_Blender
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Maybe I am a cynic, but this sounds to me like they are telling these kids that the govt is always right and the govt is who you go to for answers.

Mayors, senators, members of congress, the Governor etc are mostly Republicans around these parts. So when one asks "why is what they say important?" I don't see how that is any kind of "liberal indoctrination" or anything like that.

I see this as the Right just nit-picking. Obama can't even take out his trash without Orly Taints digging through it for fake Kenyan birth certificates. Theres a certain portion of the population who won't be satisfied with anything Obama does, for any number of reasons including racism, xenophobia, gun nuttery, etc.

Deke
09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I skimmed a text version of it, I don't see any reason for controversy.

zspeed24
09-09-2009, 05:09 AM

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/art/null.gif Funding of Bush Speech Draws Fire; Democrat Calls Education Broadcast Paid Political Advertising' [FINAL Edition] The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Washington, D.C. Author: Kenneth J. Cooper; Eric Pianin Date: Oct 3, 1991 Start Page: a.14 Section: A SECTION Text Word Count: 664
The Democratic critics accused [Barbara Bush] of turning government money for education to his own political use, namely, an ongoing effort to inoculate himself against their charges of inattention to domestic issues. The speech at Alice Deal Junior High School, broadcast live on radio and television, urged students to study hard, avoid drugs and turn in troublemakers.
[David T. Kearns] defended the $26,750 expenditure, calling the messages that Bush conveyed to schoolchildren "an important part of the mission entrusted by statute" to the department. An administration official said the costs covered lighting, taping and transmitting the speech via satellite. A videotape will be provided to the White House for deposit in the National Archives, the official said.
Rep. Martin Frost (D-Tex.) said that if Bush feels obliged to use government funds to hire outside consultants "to make him look good," then he should fire some of the public relations experts on the White House payroll. "Then the president might be more sympathetic to unemployment benefits," Frost said, referring to Bush's threat to veto legislation to extend benefits.

The dems wanted to prosecute Bush 41 for doing the same thing that Obama did yesterday... Just sayin...

My son will not be going to a public school, I prefer the charter school that is here. They have gotten higher test scores, smaller student to teacher ratios, and more parent involvement.

btstone
09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
this is dumb, if you didnt want your kid to see it, then you shouldnt have sent them to school. simple as that.
no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight. most left wing values are so far away from common sense, you cant begin to have a valid discusiion about it

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
this is dumb, if you didnt want your kid to see it, then you shouldnt have sent them to school. simple as that.

If you're addressing me, did you actually take the time to and comprehend my post?

If you're not addressing me, then my apologies for the assumption.

no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight.

This part right here is probably the only thing I've ever seen you post that's on point, man. I agree 100% here and that's why I don't get into politics too much. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
doesnt hurt to hear from more than just your parents to stay in school.......shit im 23 and my neighbors and family friends still tell me to stay in school and dont do drugs....:dunno:....1

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
doesnt hurt to hear from more than just your parents to stay in school.......shit im 23 and my neighbors and family friends still tell me to stay in school and dont do drugs....:dunno:....1

Don't need it forced though. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Don't need it forced though. Later, QD.

not forced at all..........just some things can be repeated over and over again with no harm done....1

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
not forced at all..........just some things can be repeated over and over again with no harm done....1

Not forced. Lolol. If YOU think so.

Like bstone said, there's no point in arguing. It's never ending. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Not forced. Lolol. If YOU think so.

Like bstone said, there's no point in arguing. It's never ending. Later, QD.

exactly!! If (((I))) think so!!!! why do u have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinions??....1

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
exactly!! If (((I))) think so!!!! why do u have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinions??....1

For one thing, I'm not cool enough to have monitors that speak the posts that I see on here so I can't hear anything except audio files.

You have your opinion. So what? Don't worry about what I do or what you THINK I am. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
For one thing, I'm not cool enough to have monitors that speak the posts that I see on here so I can't hear anything except audio files.

You have your opinion. So what? Don't worry about what I do or what you THINK I am. Later, QD.

ok QD!!!! Later :no:.......1

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight. most left wing values are so far away from common sense, you cant begin to have a valid discusiion about it

Lollercaust.
:lmfao:

I try to stay out of this particular subforum for my sanity's sake but this statement is beyond ridiculous...

I guess we should all live our lives by double standards and hypocrisy...You know...
like your right wing heroes.

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
ok QD!!!! Later :no:.......1

I know. You don't have like me or what I post. It's all good still. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I know. You don't have like me or what I post. It's all good still. Later, QD.

no doubt man!!! everybodys entitled to their own opininons....i forgot what website im on is all........theres too many diff cultures,values,views for me to be talking like that.....i should juss know.....shouldnt be spoken.....

its all good.....1

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
....i should juss know.....shouldnt be spoken.....

its all good.....1

Homeboy, it shouldn't be that way. Everybody has a right to their opinion. I guess it's all delivery. I know I'm guilty of making my "point" or delivery style in a brash manner and it's not right, nor (in some cases) is it intended. So my apologies. Later, QD.

blackboi50
09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Homeboy, it shouldn't be that way. Everybody has a right to their opinion. I guess it's all delivery. I know I'm guilty of making my "point" or delivery style in a brash manner and it's not right, nor (in some cases) is it intended. So my apologies. Later, QD.

its all good man....no hard feelings......u kno when imma see u imma slap u on your back madd hard....then be like wassup!!! hahaha......1

TSiFTW
09-09-2009, 09:19 AM

I believe far left and far right are completely out of touch with reality these days. That is why trying to argue for either side is moot in my book. Address the issue as you see fit and quit worrying if it makes you right or left. I see some left that I think is wrong and some right. Ask a far left or right though and the other will always be wrong.

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I believe far left and far right are completely out of touch with reality these days. That is why trying to argue for either side is moot in my book. Address the issue as you see fit and quit worrying if it makes you right or left. I see some left that I think is wrong and some right. Ask a far left or right though and the other will always be wrong.

:cheers:

AirMax95
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM

:goodjob:

Too bad those people have their heads so far up their ass. Left, right, rep, dem, cons, lib, etc......

Why the hell are we choosing sides for simple shit, lol.

btstone
09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I guess we should all live our lives by double standards and hypocrisy...You know...
like your right wing heroes.

LOL at this fresco....

Democrat- most support abortion at birth. which is, once the baby is out of the mother womb and breathing etc, they then kill it. its a fact the majority of the dem in congress voted for this, (if you need me to find the article showing this i can). it is also a fact that most dem appose the death penalty...HUH

its ok to kill a livving breathing baby because the mother doesnt wanna deal with it, but its not ok to kill some asshat who is a problem in our society....

you tell me how much sense that makes. thats just one example

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Democrat- most support abortion at birth. which is, once the baby is out of the mother womb and breathing etc, they then kill it. its a fact the majority of the dem in congress voted for this, (if you need me to find the article showing this i can). it is also a fact that most dem appose the death penalty...HUH

Having a child and THEN aborting that child is NOT abortion. It's fucking murder. Outright. And there's nothing wrong with the death penalty.

its ok to kill a livving breathing baby because the mother doesnt wanna deal with it, but its not ok to kill some asshat who is a problem in our society....

you tell me how much sense that makes. thats just one example

I don't see the sense in it at all, myself. Later, QD.

btstone
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Having a child and THEN aborting that child is NOT abortion. It's fucking murder. Outright. And there's nothing wrong with the death penalty.

I don't see the sense in it at all, myself. Later, QD.

thats you. im just stating what was voted for my Obama himself and most other dem. in office right now.
many ppl dont even realize what they are voting for when they vote. yes i am republican. i did not like mccain or palin. but ill be damned if im gonna vote for someone who supports ideas that i think are fucking crazy.
(prob gonna get called racist ofr this but oh well) take this for example. many black ppl voted for obama for the sole reason of him being black. there are many black ppl that vote democrat always and dont even know why. (now im mainly stating this form a regional prospective) if you sit down and talk to most black ppl and ask them questions about laws and bills that come up, they will usually go with for the conservative side and not even realize it. most black ppl are republican and dont even know it. but because it is believed that republicans are only out for white ppl with money and the race card is always pullled, voters are turned away. just my 2 pennies.

ps- usually the first person to play the race card, is usually the racist one

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
thats you. im just stating what was voted for my Obama himself and most other dem. in office right now.
many ppl dont even realize what they are voting for when they vote. yes i am republican. i did not like mccain or palin. but ill be damned if im gonna vote for someone who supports ideas that i think are fucking crazy.
(prob gonna get called racist ofr this but oh well) take this for example. many black ppl voted for obama for the sole reason of him being black. there are many black ppl that vote democrat always and dont even know why. (now im mainly stating this form a regional prospective) if you sit down and talk to most black ppl and ask them questions about laws and bills that come up, they will usually go with for the conservative side and not even realize it. most black ppl are republican and dont even know it. but because it is believed that republicans are only out for white ppl with money and the race card is always pullled, voters are turned away. just my 2 pennies.

I was agreeing with you about the listed issues, man. Later, QD.

.blank cd
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
LOL at this fresco....

you tell me how much sense that makes. thats just one exampleLOL! I do need you to find an article supporting that most democrats support abortion at birth

This should be good for a laugh

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
The only result I could find of voting on this issue took place in 2000:

"In the 2000 vote shown here as Vote No. 1 (House roll call 104), the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act (HR 3660) was approved 287-141 -- one vote above a two-thirds margin. Among Republicans, 209 lawmakers supported the bill, while eight opposed it. Among Democrats, 77 representatives supported the bill, but 132 opposed it."

According to this info, 209 Democrats voted on the Act. 132 of those voted against it. That would be 63% of them voted against the Ban At.

That would support bstone's comment that Democrats are more for this despicable act of violence. Later, QD.

btstone
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I was agreeing with you about the listed issues, man. Later, QD.

i wasnt saying that you werent. read the first sentance. i said that was your opinion. i was just giving my two cents for the thread.

thanks for finding the voting results. saved me tons of time

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM

If you came up with an argument bearing your own ideas and backed by credible sources and facts, I'd respond.
There's no thought process involved with regurgitation.

Edit: Talk about indoctrination. El oh El.
You quoted straight from the " Radical Right Wing's Guide to a Political Argument"

Total_Blender
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
That would support bstone's comment that Democrats are more for this despicable act of violence. Later, QD.

And it also shows that the Dems did not remove the ban on partial birth abortions despite having control of both houses of congress. So neither party fully supports PBA's.

I don't think anyone on either side of the issue is "for" abortion. But speaking for myself and others on the Left, I think that early in the term (before the fetus develops much) abortions should be available as an option. If women who choose abortion are denied safe, regulated abortions... some will turn to the back-alley abortions. I have a friend who is an OBGYN and she tells me she has had several patients who have had hack-job abortions... mostly women from countries where abortion is illegal but still done on the black market.

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
And it also shows that the Dems did not remove the ban on partial birth abortions despite having control of both houses of congress. So neither party fully supports PBA's.

You're right in that case. But I was addressing bstone's comment. And in that case, I did back up what he specifically said.

And I agree with the first trimester option of abortion. Later, QD.

81911SC
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Damn republicans are scared of everything, or is it just a black man.
O look, bringing race into it again. LOL, exactly, it's always about the color of his skin. (Half, ya know?)
Stop being an idiot, or try.

81911SC
09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Hopefully you never reproduce (we have enough idiots) or you turn out to be another right wing hypocrite that rather blow a guy in a airport bathrromAnd judging by your grammar and "sentence" you're one of them.

bdydrpdmazda
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
obama is a cock sucker and to anybody that voted for him........Im sorry you fell for his load of crap and lies

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 03:13 PM
obama is a cock sucker and to anybody that voted for him........Im sorry you fell for his load of crap and lies

Cool post, bro...

Total_Blender
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
it's always about the color of his skin. (Half, ya know?).

In the days of old, when race really mattered a lot... there was no "half". If you could not pass for White 100% you were Black and that was the end of the story. I consider Obama to be Black because he identifies himself as Black and he has experienced his life as a Black person.

Race as it has been historically seen in America has been a binary system. Most people of mixed race pick one race or the other and stick with it.

TIGERJC
09-09-2009, 03:26 PM
And judging by your grammar and "sentence" you're one of them.
LoL I had to give you something to pick at it, I did not want to make you feel like a complete waste of space.

LoL I am bringing race in to the matter, when some of the right suggested that blacks only voted for obama b/c of his skin. When I see how some ppl don't respect the title to atleast give the man a chance, I wonder what alternative motives may prevent them of letting try and do his job. I supported and gave Bush a chance even though I did not vote for him until he did something to change my perception of him. When I hear people are taking thier kids out of school so they can not listen to the president's speech, to me they show know respect for the position

81911SC
09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
In the days of old, when race really mattered a lot... there was no "half". If you could not pass for White 100% you were Black and that was the end of the story. I consider Obama to be Black because he identifies himself as Black and he has experienced his life as a Black person.

Race as it has been historically seen in America has been a binary system. Most people of mixed race pick one race or the other and stick with it.Ok, cool I guess.

81911SC
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
LoL I had to give you something to pick at it, I did not want to make you feel like a complete waste of space.

LoL I am bringing race in to the matter, when some of the right suggested that blacks only voted for obama b/c of his skin. When I see how some ppl don't respect the title to atleast give the man a chance, I wonder what alternative motives may prevent them of letting try and do his job. I supported and gave Bush a chance even though I did not vote for him until he did something to change my perception of him. When I hear people are taking thier kids out of school so they can not listen to the president's speech, to me they show know respect for the positionYea, I'm sure you planned to make a shit "sentence". Of course you're bringing race into, somebody has to. Since the "right wing hypocrites" haven't.

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Yea, I'm sure you planned to make a shit "sentence". Of course you're bringing race into, somebody has to. Since the "right wing hypocrites" haven't.

Actually, see the post quoted above yours.

81911SC
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Actually, see the post quoted above yours.Sorry, I don't read anything he posts.

Total_Blender
09-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I don't read anything he posts.

Neither do I :lmfao:

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
LoL I am bringing race in to the matter, when some of the right suggested that blacks only voted for obama b/c of his skin.

I believe it to be true. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if most black folks voted for Obama because of his skin color. Just as there are probably thousands upon thousands of white folks that voted for McCain because of Obama's skin color. I can't tell you how many countless times I've read, seen, heard interviews with black folks at Presidential rallies and parties where they re asked who Obama's running mate was. None, and I mean NONE, of them knew. They could not answer the question of who Obama was running against. Many of the people thought Obama was running against Bush. I would be hard pressed to believe that the folks that could not answer those questions voted for Obama for anything else than to have a black man in office.

Now when I'm quoted as being an ignorant racist (for the people that have no idea of my racial boundaries), I need for this part to be quoted as well. I did not say ALL black folks. Later, QD.

81911SC
09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I love these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAiarOhC2U

BobbyFresco
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Sorry, I don't read anything he posts.

LOL.
I don't blame you one bit.

BanginJimmy
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I wont get into racial side of it, as idiocy has no racial barriers, but I will say that most of Obama's voters had no clue what they were voting for.

1/3 of people will support any and all dems, no matter what (Total Blender is a perfect example). 1/3 will support a republican, no matter what. That last 1/3 is all that an election is about.

Of that independant 1/3 you can break it into 3 groups.

1. Voted for Obama because he wasnt a republican, that was enough reason. They knew nothing about his politics. These people are having a VERY serious case of voters regret. Hense the 70%+ disapproval rate among independants.

2. Voted based on race. This is probably the smallest group. Some voted for, some voted against him based on nothing more than his race.

3. People that actually knew the issues at hand and both candidates views on it, and they are politically active in a limited way. This group is slightly larger than group 2. This group voted pretty much 50/50 for the candidates. This group is also having a very serious case of voters regret, hence the 70%+ disapproval among independants.

tony
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I believe it to be true. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if most black folks voted for Obama because of his skin color.

I take issue with this because it is well known that blacks vote proportionately Democrat anyway, the demographics of voters who turned out for Clinton mirror the numbers of those for Obama. Race may have motivated some but please believe being black does not suddenly give you an upper hand in being elected president. The rest of thise post is not directed at you.

Its ironic that people want to point the finger at uninformed voters but are nothing close to informed their selves. Quotes from biased sources, even the baseless posts here with no real information in them but whining and complaining. You'd do more for the political process by educating your self rather than making reactionary posts that are nothing more than regurgitated rhetoric. I guarantee just like supporters of Obama get called out, a vast majority those who are quick to attack him do not understand the legislative process of government, have very little understanding if any of the social aspect of Public Policy, and contribute to the deterioration of Politics in this country because you are uninformed yet so vocal.

The man took the time to address children doing well in school. I tend to appreciate when leaders take time out of their schedule to acknowledge an aspect of society that gets taken for granted, no matter if it is Obama, W. Bush, Clinton or H.W Bush, I respect all equally regardless of how I feel about them politically and it is a sad state of affairs and an aggressive display of disrespect when people lash out at an individual for doing something positive, especially when that positive is for the benefit of kids.

BanginJimmy
09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Tony, no one is arguing about the actual speech. People are all up in arms about the lesson plans that came with it. Some of the questions, such as the one I posted earlier, were an indoctrination to dependency on govt.

BABY J
09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
These are the same parents who let their kids listen to Lil Wayne - watch AdultSwim, Southpark and smoke pot.

If you are doing what the fuck you're supposed to be doing as a parent then no "speech" is going to deter your hard work. I never smoked pot, EVER. I've never been to a strip club (even tho I am quite the freak - lol) - why? B/c my parents instilled morals in me that were not breakable by peer pressure, or some guy on TV or the radio. I had PLENTY of opportunity to get into dumb shit... and I didn't b/c my parents let me know the deal at home in the living room... so it didn't matter who came to school w/ conflicting interest.

Of all the things to try to sensor your kids from this is your biggest threat? LOL. Classic.

BABY J
09-09-2009, 06:48 PM

On election night, ABC posted a graphic of the state of Indiana, (because they were one of the last states still going that late), and it color-coded the way votes were going in each county, or area. The whole state was McCain, except for pockets in Indianapolis, Bloomington, Muncie, Terre Haute, Vincennes, and South Bend. I literally jumped up while looking at the map and started pointing at my TV like a mad man. Why? Every county with a major university voted for Obama. That told me all I needed to know about that state.

What makes you qualified to know what "most blacks" know or think? I spent 8 years in the Air Force and let me tell you something... about the places I have been - say Iraq for starters. Over there, they weren't trying to kill "African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Mexican-Americans", they just wanted to kill AMERICANS... we are the only people in the world that devide ourselves into little groups. It's stupid.

BSTONE -- you take care of your family. You lend tools to a racer when he is down, even if it means when he gets his piece of shit back together you lose a race to him. People take care of their own. The Indians (w/ a dot, not a feather - lol) do it better than any group on the planet, and I'd bet that the white man is in the top 5. "My" people are just now figuring that out in the last 20 years or so --- so forgive them if they want to vote for something familiar. If $5 is keeping me from feeding my family, no you can't borrow it. That does NOT mean that I am a racist. It's damn near IMPOSSIBLE for a white man to understand universal issues that all people are seeing. Just as it will be impossible for Obama to do the same. But what Obama DOES have is knowledge of how to swim on BOTH sides of that pond - something McCain did not have. McCain is brilliant, even though his "reality" of what we needed in a president was skewed (IMO). I've had this conversation w/ "black voters" (as you say) --- and I laughed at people who said "he's black, so we should vote for him." It sounded a WHOLE lot to me that you implied in your post that "most" of the racism is rooted in the black community --- keep me honest here and correct me if I am wrong w/ that statement. PLEASE tell me what kinds of racism you have had to endure. I'd bet that in the grand scheme of your life it doesn't amount to much and has not been life-changing - it probably changed nothing more than your mood. If I am wrong, then you are the anomally and def not the norm. I also fail to see how the way 1 votes for President can be directly tied to racism.

The only thing that was proven with this election is that people can indeed vote for the issues...NO MATTER WHAT COLOR they are. You think a black man would REALLY find it hard to vote for the white guy if his ideas REALLY seemed better? Let me educate you... it's VERY easy for me and a trillion other blacks to vote for the white guy - we've only had to to do it umm - FOREVER. So the fact that a miracle brown face showed up impressed me none. I STILL voted on the issues. More important than the "black" vote, maybe put up some metrics for the age groups. W/out even knowing these metrics I'd bet it proves that old racist ass crackers in this country are dieing off - and it's getting harder and harder to pass down white supremacist ideals to a much more educated and unbiased youth. These people never had a place in a country that prides itself on the "land of the fucking free". Those metrics will also probably prove that old ex-panther hypocritical ass n1ggg3r5 who think that they wake up every morning w/ "tha white man's" heel on their forehead and that's why he lives in poverty needs to save that excuse bc it's for the birds. They never had a legitimate place in this country either.

Should there be commemorative plates for Obama being the first african-american president? Or should he just be considered the next president? Should they have made such a big deal when Dungy and Lovie Smith met up in the Super as the first black coaches to coach against each other in a Super Bowl? The media hypes this shit up and puts it in people minds daily and you (not you bstone, just people) "sheep" bite into it w/ zeal. Obama, Dungy, and Smith are all people, that have all accomplished something, not because they are black, but because of their hard work.

tony
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Tony, no one is arguing about the actual speech. People are all up in arms about the lesson plans that came with it. Some of the questions, such as the one I posted earlier, were an indoctrination to dependency on govt.

Lesson plan might have been over the top, if kids struggle to do their homework why are they going to take the time to do the lesson plan? Bad planning on the administration rather than a simple message, I agree with that.

quickdodgeŽ
09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I take issue with this because it is well known that blacks vote proportionately Democrat anyway, the demographics of voters who turned out for Clinton mirror the numbers of those for Obama. Race may have motivated some but please believe being black does not suddenly give you an upper hand in being elected president.

Again I state that I don't/didn't mean all. And I didn't edit that post you quoted, either. I was going to say one thing and reversed myself and didn't correct. I didn't mean most blacks voted due to race. I meant a shitload did. All the videos, interviews, reports and other outlets have shown me this.

it is a sad state of affairs and an aggressive display of disrespect when people lash out at an individual for doing something positive, especially when that positive is for the benefit of kids.

I agree. But as long as he speaks to these children about their education and ONLY their education, then I don't really see that much of a problem with it. If he starts bringing in non-educational subjects, then he's crossing the line.

B/c my parents instilled morals in me that were not breakable by peer pressure, or some guy on TV or the radio.

I was raised exactly the same. But not everyone is. And not every child responds to the lessons that we were taught either. You know there are a lot of idiots out there whom I'm sure weren't taught to be idiots as children/growing up. They just did whatever anyway. They were peer-pressured anyway. I teach the same morals, kindness, values and all that to all my children. But that doesn't guarantee that they will grow up the way I'd like to see. I can only hope, man. Hope you see where I'm going with this.

To me, I'll just see how this plays out. I can envision monitors all over the place with "heads of states" blaring directives at us telling us every move, you know, lolol. <---- I don't mean it literally or think that's going to happen, but this is the first thing that pops in my mind.
Tony, ask Baby J, he knows who I am (in reality) when it comes to race, he'll tell you that I don't have to shoot from the hip on things. I did vote for Obama. Sometimes I question my vote. But he's my President and I respect him because I respect America. Later, QD.

BanginJimmy
09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Lesson plan might have been over the top, if kids struggle to do their homework why are they going to take the time to do the lesson plan? Bad planning on the administration rather than a simple message, I agree with that.

Lesson plan was supposed to be a guided discussion. One of the discussions was about how kids need to listen to politicians and do as the politicians tell them. Yes I am paraphrasing.

I dont understand why race keeps popping up. You have the Gov of New Jersey claiming that he is losing the race there because the media hates blacks, and that the media will turn on Obama next. Yes, I am talking about the same media that cream their pants whenever Obama speaks.

I believe Rangle has brought up how anyone opposing Obama is a racist.

You had the guy on MSNBC that said socialist was a republican code word for he "n word".

When is it going to stop? Some blacks are using the claim of racism as a crutch. Until society as a whole refuses to accept that, it will never end.

I dont have the link and I am not looking for it again so dont ask. I read an article from Seattle yesterday that had to do with race. A black guy who I will assume is younger said that racism was everywhere in Seattle. He brought up a case where him and a few friends were talking down the street one night and a white lady crossed the street to avoid them.

To this guy I say, if you dont like the stereotype of groups of young black males, what are you doing to change that negative perception? The reason people avoid groups of young black males at night is because groups of young black males are about 10x more likely to commit a felony than a group of young white males. Need proof? just look at the robberies at GT downtown.

tony
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I dont understand why race keeps popping up. You have the Gov of New Jersey claiming that he is losing the race there because the media hates blacks, and that the media will turn on Obama next. Yes, I am talking about the same media that cream their pants whenever Obama speaks.

I believe Rangle has brought up how anyone opposing Obama is a racist.

You had the guy on MSNBC that said socialist was a republican code word for he "n word".

When is it going to stop? Some blacks are using the claim of racism as a crutch. Until society as a whole refuses to accept that, it will never end.

I dont have the link and I am not looking for it again so dont ask. I read an article from Seattle yesterday that had to do with race. A black guy who I will assume is younger said that racism was everywhere in Seattle. He brought up a case where him and a few friends were talking down the street one night and a white lady crossed the street to avoid them.

To this guy I say, if you dont like the stereotype of groups of young black males, what are you doing to change that negative perception? The reason people avoid groups of young black males at night is because groups of young black males are about 10x more likely to commit a felony than a group of young white males. Need proof? just look at the robberies at GT downtown.

When you broil it down race is still there, it is an underlying issue and people seem to think because it is not in your face it does not exist. Is the perception that blacks are a certain way because of the robberies at GT or is it because you would be hard pressed to turn on the TV and see blacks represented in a positive light?

That question does not only pertain to blacks, it applies to hispanics being portrayed as Illegal Immigrants, the perception of interracial couples, the list goes on and on. I'd challenge anyone to take a course on Race and Ethnicity with an open mind, I'll admit even I overlooked a lot of social issues pertaining to race in our society.. and I figured myself to be quite aware.

I could sit here and explain a lot of things but it turns into an endless back and forth. This is no dig to you or anyone else but it is hard to grasp and kind of an uncomfortable subject if you are not the one who is subject to prejudice. It takes a level of objectivity that is far above the norm to sit down and really understand the issue of race rather than view the surface and nothing more.

BanginJimmy
09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
When you broil it down race is still there, it is an underlying issue and people seem to think because it is not in your face it does not exist. Is the perception that blacks are a certain way because of the robberies at GT or is it because you would be hard pressed to turn on the TV and see blacks represented in a positive light?

Thats the problem. I cant think of the last time I really saw blacks as a group being portrayed in a positive light. Whether it be the movies, the news, or just around town. As far as the news goes, the blame for that falls squarely on them.

That question does not only pertain to blacks, it applies to hispanics being portrayed as Illegal Immigrants, the perception of interracial couples, the list goes on and on.

it applies to all racial groups. If you are walking down the street at night along and a group of white kids with combat boots, shaved hears and black suspenders are coming towards you. Are you going to walk right to them, or cross the street?

I'd challenge anyone to take a course on Race and Ethnicity with an open mind, I'll admit even I overlooked a lot of social issues pertaining to race in our society.. and I figured myself to be quite aware.

That class just reeks of an "african american studies" class. I can pretty much sum up that class with 2 words. Blame Whitey. Just look at the quality of people you have teaching it. Great people like Professor Gates come to mind.

I could sit here and explain a lot of things but it turns into an endless back and forth. This is no dig to you or anyone else but it is hard to grasp and kind of an uncomfortable subject if you are not the one who is subject to prejudice. It takes a level of objectivity that is far above the norm to sit down and really understand the issue of race rather than view the surface and nothing more.

Then I will only say that until the phrase "black man in America" goes away, there will always be the black man in America.

TIGERJC
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I believe it to be true. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if most black folks voted for Obama because of his skin color. Just as there are probably thousands upon thousands of white folks that voted for McCain because of Obama's skin color. I can't tell you how many countless times I've read, seen, heard interviews with black folks at Presidential rallies and parties where they re asked who Obama's running mate was. None, and I mean NONE, of them knew. They could not answer the question of who Obama was running against. Many of the people thought Obama was running against Bush. I would be hard pressed to believe that the folks that could not answer those questions voted for Obama for anything else than to have a black man in office.

Now when I'm quoted as being an ignorant racist (for the people that have no idea of my racial boundaries), I need for this part to be quoted as well. I did not say ALL black folks. Later, QD.
The media has agenda and thats why they always pick the dumbest individuals to interview. Now if you had numbers to back up your claim then I would agree. Now it is true that majority of blacks do vote democrat (For many years) and the majority of democrats just like republicans dont know who the hell they're voting for, and all they care about is about voting democrat or republican,.

tony
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
That class just reeks of an "african american studies" class. I can pretty much sum up that class with 2 words. Blame Whitey. Just look at the quality of people you have teaching it. Great people like Professor Gates come to mind.

Then I will only say that until the phrase "black man in America" goes away, there will always be the black man in America.

If you think African American studies is all about blaming white people then continue to bask in your ignorance, I mean it is bliss right? Thats like saying researching the strife of Native Americans is demonizing whites, truth hurts but that is our history.

And yes there always will be a "black man in America," strange how you'd want someone to deny who they are just to be called "American" without recognition of their heritage or identity. Being black is a part of who I am, is that racist? No, its called pride.

BanginJimmy
09-10-2009, 05:21 AM
If you think African American studies is all about blaming white people then continue to bask in your ignorance, I mean it is bliss right? Thats like saying researching the strife of Native Americans is demonizing whites, truth hurts but that is our history.

And yes there always will be a "black man in America," strange how you'd want someone to deny who they are just to be called "American" without recognition of their heritage or identity. Being black is a part of who I am, is that racist? No, its called pride.

Here is something that I am sure are not in any AA studies books out there.
Black slave owners were the cruelest slave owners. I doubt there is any mention of black slave owners at all.

I am sure they cover all of the horid ways slaves were treated. How do they teach the circumstance of them being captured though? Do they say they are kidnapped, or do they say they were sold by tribal leaders for guns and tobbacco?

The black man comment obviously went over your head.

quickdodgeŽ
09-10-2009, 07:43 AM
The media has agenda and thats why they always pick the dumbest individuals to interview. Now if you had numbers to back up your claim then I would agree. Now it is true that majority of blacks do vote democrat (For many years) and the majority of democrats just like republicans dont know who the hell they're voting for, and all they care about is about voting democrat or republican,.

But that doesn't decimate the fact that these people exist. They were just exposed. I'm not giving out a number. I'm not saying a majority. I'm not even saying half. I'm saying there are a LOT of them out there. That's undeniable.

Is it safe to say that we can agree that no one will ever know the truth about why they voted for Obama except that person? Later, QD.

tony
09-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Black slave owners were the cruelest slave owners. I doubt there is any mention of black slave owners at all.

I find it funny that YOU would comment on how slaves were treated and who did what. I don't claim to know what my ancestors went through, I can only empathize, read and try to gain a decent understanding. Now, I would love to see the supporting facts and information that shows black slave owners were more cruel than whites, especially when the harsh treatment of black slaves went largely undocumented.

lol This is entertaining, even in slavery you want to point the finger at blacks then wonder why race is still an issue in this country. To answer your question, yes African American studies does take the time to point out that slavery did not start here with white men, but I guess since you dismiss the class as blame whitey you wouldn't know that.

quickdodgeŽ
09-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I'd like to know why you bypassed me, Tony? Do I fall in the "ignorant" category? Later, QD.

btstone
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
On election night, ABC posted a graphic of the state of Indiana, (because they were one of the last states still going that late), and it color-coded the way votes were going in each county, or area. The whole state was McCain, except for pockets in Indianapolis, Bloomington, Muncie, Terre Haute, Vincennes, and South Bend. I literally jumped up while looking at the map and started pointing at my TV like a mad man. Why? Every county with a major university voted for Obama. That told me all I needed to know about that state.

What makes you qualified to know what "most blacks" know or think? I spent 8 years in the Air Force and let me tell you something... about the places I have been - say Iraq for starters. Over there, they weren't trying to kill "African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Mexican-Americans", they just wanted to kill AMERICANS... we are the only people in the world that devide ourselves into little groups. It's stupid.

BSTONE -- you take care of your family. You lend tools to a racer when he is down, even if it means when he gets his piece of shit back together you lose a race to him. People take care of their own. The Indians (w/ a dot, not a feather - lol) do it better than any group on the planet, and I'd bet that the white man is in the top 5. "My" people are just now figuring that out in the last 20 years or so --- so forgive them if they want to vote for something familiar. If $5 is keeping me from feeding my family, no you can't borrow it. That does NOT mean that I am a racist. It's damn near IMPOSSIBLE for a white man to understand universal issues that all people are seeing. Just as it will be impossible for Obama to do the same. But what Obama DOES have is knowledge of how to swim on BOTH sides of that pond - something McCain did not have. McCain is brilliant, even though his "reality" of what we needed in a president was skewed (IMO). I've had this conversation w/ "black voters" (as you say) --- and I laughed at people who said "he's black, so we should vote for him." It sounded a WHOLE lot to me that you implied in your post that "most" of the racism is rooted in the black community --- keep me honest here and correct me if I am wrong w/ that statement. PLEASE tell me what kinds of racism you have had to endure. I'd bet that in the grand scheme of your life it doesn't amount to much and has not been life-changing - it probably changed nothing more than your mood. If I am wrong, then you are the anomally and def not the norm. I also fail to see how the way 1 votes for President can be directly tied to racism.

i didnt say anyone was racist. re-read my post. i was stating, mainly form a regionaly prespective, that most black ppl are conservative. i can see clearly on both sides of the pond/ i have a background that is EXTREMELY diverse. i am going off just questions and opinions i get from ppl. it is not impossible for anyone to see universal issues. it is that many ppl choose not to. its all in perception. i am open to all races. weather anyone wants to admit it or not, races and cultures are diff. they at diff. they will always be diff. i was just pointing out that many black ppl (region only, i dont know how another race acts outside of atl) are conservative but vote democratic because of various issues i dont have time at work to type. im just being honest. no ones wants to be honest anymore. everyone wants to hide behind "racism" accusations and political correctness.
i have taken a ethnic studies class. i was the only white kid in the class. i got berated everyday. i was told i was spoiled and i was blessed with a silver spoon in my mouth. no one in the class even knew my name. they did not know that i didnt grow up with a lot of money. they did not know that both my parents worked very hard just to keep the lights on. they didnt know i am the first person in my ENTIRE family to even go to college. they just saw the white skin and assumed. i was vilified the moment i walked in the door. tell me who is racist. we ended up having to write a paper about our views and background and present it to the class. i spoke of my 2 best friends being black and how i grew up and how i have around a 50/50 number of black/white friends. and how i work my ass off for my cars and and house and job. once i was done, i was laughed at and told "it didnt seem accurate". wtf is an ethnic course for if everyone goes in there with a close mind. i am just stating what happens on a day to day basis. this kind of shit happens all the time.

Total_Blender
09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
. i spoke of my 2 best friends being black and how i grew up and how i have around a 50/50 number of black/white friends. and how i work my ass off for my cars and and house and job. once i was done, i was laughed at and told "it didnt seem accurate". .

So you wrote a paper that said "I'm not racist, I have Black friends". :ninja:

I've typed out long explanations of double consciousness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_consciousness) as explained in W.E.B Du Bois' The Souls of Black Folk (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=souls+of+black+folk&x=0&y=0) but its really just a waste of time because none of you guys really give a shit about thinking outside the box of your own experiences of being socialized as White people.

The point of AA studies and the name "African American" is that Blacks in America have had a different experience as Americans than Whites because of slavery and the disenfranchisement/social inequality that followed it.

Justin51982
09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
There are also countless whites that VOTED for Obama regardless of skin color, it was primarily the white vote that got him elected.

Stop using race, it's a crutch and it's old. Slavery happened a lot longer ago than the Holocaust. I'm HALF jewish, you don't see me blaming everything that happens to me on the fact that I have a Jewish last name or because of Hitler, or because jews were slaves well before blacks ever were (who do you think built the pyramids).

Get over the race issue, it has no place here.

btstone
09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
So you wrote a paper that said "I'm not racist, I have Black friends". :ninja:

I've typed out long explanations of double consciousness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_consciousness) as explained in W.E.B Du Bois' The Souls of Black Folk (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=souls+of+black+folk&x=0&y=0) but its really just a waste of time because none of you guys really give a shit about thinking outside the box of your own experiences of being socialized as White people.

The point of AA studies and the name "African American" is that Blacks in America have had a different experience as Americans than Whites because of slavery and the disenfranchisement/social inequality that followed it.

if thats all you got out of my paragraph then you are part of the problem. i have read a few du bois books and they are about on the smae level as al sharpton to me. thats why this shit is here, ppl only see what they want to see. no one wants to see the truth. call me racist, i dont care what you think of me. but learn why society is fucked up

and yes, white ppl voted for obama to get him into office. that is the university systems right there. many professors try to brain wash students because this is the time most kids are open. they believe all that BS the professors are feeding them

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
if thats all you got out of my paragraph then you are part of the problem. i have read a few du bois books and they are about on the smae level as al sharpton to me. thats why this shit is here, ppl only see what they want to see. no one wants to see the truth. call me racist, i dont care what you think of me. but learn why society is fucked up

and yes, white ppl voted for obama to get him into office. that is the university systems right there. many professors try to brain wash students because this is the time most kids are open. they believe all that BS the professors are feeding them

To equate DuBois to Sharpton is laughable at best.
Eh. Nevermind.
I'm not going to waste my time typing that which will just go over your head anyway....

Total_Blender
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM

Because universities and professors are bad, right? Go ahead and pull your kids out of school because Obama is showing them a speech encouraging them to "stay in school, and work hard in spite of your hardships instead of using them as a crutch". They teach evolution and other monkey-science there, and public school is just socialism anyway. Who needs capitalization and punctuation when you have Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.

On a serious note... the conservative movement used to stand for something when there were actual thinkers/scholars like William F. Buckley and Barry Goldwater involved in leadership roles. Even if I didn't agree with Buckley and Goldwater, they were at least eloquent speakers who could base an argument on logic. There are still some people like that around (George Will comes to mind) but really, the shouters (Sarah Palin, TX. Gov. Rick Perry, MN congresswoman Michelle Bachmann) and their "angry mob" mentality have taken over. The whole movement comes across as anti-intellectual and hypocritical, especially when most of the arguments coming from the conservative camp start with "think for yourself" or something along those lines.

bigdare23
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
This post shows ignorance at its best.

Thats the problem. I cant think of the last time I really saw blacks as a group being portrayed in a positive light. Whether it be the movies, the news, or just around town. As far as the news goes, the blame for that falls squarely on them.

That's straight bull shit. The media picks and choose the stories to air. What do you think will get more ratings, Georgia Tech just graduating it's largest class of blacks recieving ph.Ds in engineering, or someone just got robbed on at a gas station in Bankhead? The media is bias, but you're white and closed-minded so you don't see it.

it applies to all racial groups. If you are walking down the street at night along and a group of white kids with combat boots, shaved hears and black suspenders are coming towards you. Are you going to walk right to them, or cross the street?

That's a extreme example. Skin heads do not equal the typical black person. Some whites would cross the street if the African Americas were wearing slacks and a sports coat. I had whites cross the street while walking toward me, and I had on a polo shirt tucked in some nicely fitted jeans, and a book bag on (and I might add a clean hair shave and cut). It all falls back to the media. Since the media portrays the typical criminal as a hooded black man, all black males feels the repercussions.

That class just reeks of an "african american studies" class. I can pretty much sum up that class with 2 words. Blame Whitey. Just look at the quality of people you have teaching it. Great people like Professor Gates
come to mind.

What is you level of education? Do you have degrees? If so, where did you get your degree from? Or are you one of those people born and raised in the south. I ask that because you seem greatly out of touch. So let me inform you. Most race classes are talk by "whitey" (since majority of sociology professors are white). That class is taught to enlighten people closed-minded people such as yourself, about the racial problems of today. The point of the class is not to blame the problems on a particular race, but to come solutions to the problems. The focus is not just on blacks, but on the topic of inequality with all races. My advise to you is not to speak on a subject if you don't know anything about it. Also, if you have taken a race class before, please go back and slap you professor.

btstone
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
To equate DuBois to Sharpton is laughable at best.
Eh. Nevermind.
I'm not going to waste my time typing that which will just go over your head anyway....

i feel the same way about you

btstone
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Because universities and professors are bad, right? Go ahead and pull your kids out of school because Obama is showing them a speech encouraging them to "stay in school, and work hard in spite of your hardships instead of using them as a crutch". They teach evolution and other monkey-science there, and public school is just socialism anyway. Who needs capitalization and punctuation when you have Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.
this was very intellectual and a great argument based on logic right? this right here is something you just pulle dout of the air and i never said any of it. you just did the same thing you accussed ALL conservatives of doing..hmmm. hypoctical to me

On a serious note... the conservative movement used to stand for something when there were actual thinkers/scholars like William F. Buckley and Barry Goldwater involved in leadership roles. Even if I didn't agree with Buckley and Goldwater, they were at least eloquent speakers who could base an argument on logic. There are still some people like that around (George Will comes to mind) but really, the shouters (Sarah Palin, TX. Gov. Rick Perry, MN congresswoman Michelle Bachmann) and their "angry mob" mentality have taken over. The whole movement comes across as anti-intellectual and hypocritical, especially when most of the arguments coming from the conservative camp start with "think for yourself" or something along those lines.

just because Bush and Palin( i dont like her anyway so lets take her out of this equation) and mccain are not great speakers, does not mean they are wrong or stand for the wrong side. our president is good speaker and he is damn near socialist. speaking does not make you correct on these kinds of matters. remeber, democrats rule the house. its his own party holding his agenda up because everyone knows its fucked up, not just republicans.

Total_Blender
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
just because Bush and Palin( i dont like her anyway so lets take her out of this equation) and mccain are not great speakers, does not mean they are wrong or stand for the wrong side. our president is good speaker and he is damn near socialist. speaking does not make you correct on these kinds of matters. remeber, democrats rule the house. its his own party holding his agenda up because everyone knows its fucked up, not just republicans.

Its not just who is a "good speaker" and who isn't. It also scholarship, doing research, having the facts right, proper use of context, etc. I feel like the message coming from people like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann, and others is just an insult to my intelligence. I try to tell myself that these people don't speak for the whole of the party... but then I don't see many in the party calling them out on it either.

btstone
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Its not just who is a "good speaker" and who isn't. It also scholarship, doing research, having the facts right, proper use of context, etc. I feel like the message coming from people like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann, and others is just an insult to my intelligence. I try to tell myself that these people don't speak for the whole of the party... but then I don't see many in the party calling them out on it either.

there is no need to call them out on it. that creates party divide.
have you ever listen to hanedy? he may change your mind. he used to be a devoted democrat. o nce he realized what the party was really about, he left it.

Total_Blender
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Divide the party or crash it into the ground... its really a no-win scenario I guess. I really don't see how courting the lunatic fringe is good for the party though.

For example... our representative here in the 10th district, Paul Brown was talking at a town hall recently spouting off about the "socialist elite declaring martial law" and "FEMA camps" and more Alex Jones/Glenn Beck bullshit. Johnny Isaakson and others called him out when he compared Obama to Hitler the day after the election... where are the moderates now?

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
i feel the same way about you

:rolleyes:
You are so predictable.
Novel idea for you... How about you argue your points with facts and not generalties, conjecture or baseless insults.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
have you ever listen to hanedy? he may change your mind. he used to be a devoted democrat. o nce he realized what the party was really about, he left it.

There's a reason why you're not taken seriously, even by people who share your sentiments...
How is it that you are ignorant to the spelling of the name of one of your heroes?:lmfao:

Please find your way back to the KF, where mindless banter is better accepted.

AirMax95
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM

L-M-A-O~~~~

What books of W. E. B. Du Bois have you read? Seems to me your reading comprehension level is that of a 4th grader, if you feel that he is on the same level as Al Sharpton:screwy: Two different time frames, education levels, midsets, and class of people.

I would LOVE to have 80% of people in this thread at a meet to discuss things of this nature. The lulz would be awesome.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
What books of W. E. B. Du Bois have you read?

The simple answer is, he hasn't.

Seems to me your reading comprehension level is that of a 4th grader, if you feel that he is on the same level as Al Sharpton:screwy:

You didn't know that any black man of significance is related to Al Sharpton?:lmfao:

Two different time frames, education levels, midsets, and class of people.

T...Do you really expect him to be able to tell the distinction between the 2?

I would LOVE to have 80% of people in this thread at a meet to discuss things of this nature. The lulz would be awesome.

I agree.

AirMax95
09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I am sure they cover all of the horid ways slaves were treated. How do they teach the circumstance of them being captured though? Do they say they are kidnapped, or do they say they were sold by tribal leaders for guns and tobbacco?

The black man comment obviously went over your head.

Your doubt is wrong beyond belief. Have you taken ANY classes of the sort, or are you assuming b/c you "feel" they don't?

All classes on African American studies address every nook and cranny of the slave trades. These classes also incorporate the positive that SOME whites did at the time to combat the slave trade.

Stop fucking assuming based off the bullshit you read man. You ride the race pole like $5 stripper at Pinups trying to make rent.

tony
09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
L-M-A-O~~~~

What books of W. E. B. Du Bois have you read? Seems to me your reading comprehension level is that of a 4th grader, if you feel that he is on the same level as Al Sharpton:screwy: Two different time frames, education levels, midsets, and class of people.

Dubois, Al Sharpton.. seriously at this point dude is a waste of time. The best that those who see the objective side of this is try to educate those who are receptive to learning something, primarily of the younger generation. Let the fool be that.. as long as I explain both sides to my son and anyone willing to listen I have done my part.

tony
09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
QD, no problems with what you said. I just believe the whole "black people voted for Obama because he is black" is a misnomer, was it motivation? Of course, but to go by that rationale Michael Steele should get a proportionate number of votes in the black community when we know that is far from the truth.

81911SC
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
QD, no problems with what you said. I just believe the whole "black people voted for Obama because he is black" is a misnomer, was it motivation? Of course, but to go by that rationale Michael Steele should get a proportionate number of votes in the black community when we know that is far from the truth.But you have no proof it wasn't either?

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
But you have no proof it wasn't either?

Why is this still a point of contention almost a year after the fact?

A. Blacks have primarily voted along Democratic lines for the last 30 years.
B. Yes, Blacks voted for a Black man, much the same way Hispanics would vote for a Hispanic candidate, Asians for an Asian, etc.

Another interesting facet of human nature is that we (ppl in general) tend support those who are the most like us, given the opportunity...

81911SC
09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Why is this still a point of contention almost a year after the fact?

A. Blacks have primarily voted along Democratic lines for the last 30 years.
B. Yes, Blacks voted for a Black man, much the same way Hispanics would vote for a Hispanic candidate, Asians for an Asian, etc.

Another interesting facet of human nature is that we (ppl in general) tend support those who are the most like us, given the opportunity...Quoting me like I'm the only one saying it?
No sir, don't care to argue it but if Tony's opinion is one way, why does that mean he's right?

bu villain
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
But you have no proof it wasn't either?

Therefor the correct way for everyone to proceed is to assume whatever helps promote their personal beliefs/agenda. This is how logic works right?

BABY J
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I was gonna pop back in here but Dare and Fresco basically mopped the floor before I had a chance to. I'll just sit here and watch it dry.

81911SC
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Therefor the correct way for everyone to proceed is to assume whatever helps promote their personal beliefs/agenda. This is how logic works right?Quote where I said that? Go ahead, I'll wait. He stated that's how he feels, I was asking where is the proof.

81911SC
09-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Nevermind, it's a waste of time in here.
Have fun.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Quoting me like I'm the only one saying it?
No sir, don't care to argue it but if Tony's opinion is one way, why does that mean he's right?

I wasn't picking on you specifically.
You just happen to be the only one actively conversing, at the moment.

btstone
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
You are so predictable.
Novel idea for you... How about you argue your points with facts and not generalties, conjecture or baseless insults.

it funny how you have presented one fact. all you do is pull you little dick out and try to show it off. you have broght not one good point to this

btstone
09-10-2009, 04:52 PM
L-M-A-O~~~~

yes both radical and wanting something that will not happen.

fresco is the one i wanna see make a valid point in person. he hasnt made a post worth saving on IA yet

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 04:52 PM
it funny how you have presented one fact. all you do is pull you little dick out and try to show it off. you have broght not one good point to this

and you have done what, exactly?
Quoted for irony, btw.

btstone
09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Dubois, Al Sharpton.. seriously at this point dude is a waste of time. The best that those who see the objective side of this is try to educate those who are receptive to learning something, primarily of the younger generation. Let the fool be that.. as long as I explain both sides to my son and anyone willing to listen I have done my part.

exactly what democrats like to do. brainwash with no real points to stand on.

i will gracefully bow out. its hard to argue with shit that makes no sense at all.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 05:00 PM
yes both radical and wanting something that will not happen.

fresco is the one i wanna see make a valid point in person. he hasnt made a post worth saving on IA yet

PLEASE SHOW ME ONE POST THAT YOU'VE MADE IN ANY THREAD IN THIS SUBFORUM THAT HAS BEEN SUBSTANTIATIVE AND NOT BASED ON YOUR RATHER MORONIC AND JUVENILE ASSERTIONS AND SUPPOSITIONS, DEVOID OF CREDIBLE FACTS.

YOU CAN'T EVEN FORM A COMPLETE AND COHERENT THOUGHT THAT ISN'T RIDDLED WITH RUDIMENTARY MISTAKES...

I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU'VE EVEN STEPPED ONE FOOT INTO A COLLEGE CLASSROOM..

btstone
09-10-2009, 05:04 PM
PLEASE SHOW ME ONE POST THAT YOU'VE MADE IN ANY THREAD IN THIS SUBFORUM THAT HAS BEEN SUBSTANTIATIVE AND NOT BASED ON YOUR RATHER MORONIC AND JUVENILE ASSERTIONS AND SUPPOSITIONS, DEVOID OF CREDIBLE FACTS.

YOU CAN'T EVEN FORM A COMPLETE AND COHERENT THOUGHT THAT ISN'T RIDDLED WITH RUDIMENTARY MISTAKES...

I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU'VE EVEN STEPPED ONE FOOT INTO A COLLEGE CLASSROOM..

dude, i dont see how you even type on here. you just make dumbass come backs at ppl. not one alid point yet.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
IF BSTONE AND THE "SLAVERY DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE SO NEITHER DOES RACISM" CARD IS ALL YOU GUYS HAVE, THEN I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO ADD TO THIS THREAD.

I AM ALL ABOUT EXCHANGING DIALOGUE WITH ABLE MINDED PEOPLE WHO CAN ARTICULATE THEIR POINTS WITH FACTS AND REASONABLE OPINIONS, SANS INSULTS.

BobbyFresco
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
dude, i dont see how you even type on here. you just make dumbass come backs at ppl. not one alid point yet.

LET ME HELP YOU OUT...VALID HAS A V. MORON.
I'M OUT.
I 'M NOT GOING TO CONTINUE TO ARGUE WITH A REMEDIAL TOOL.

btstone
09-10-2009, 05:10 PM
LET ME HELP YOU OUT...VALID HAS A V. MORON.
I'M OUT.
I 'M NOT GOING TO CONTINUE TO ARGUE WITH A REMEDIAL TOOL.

i wasnt enjoying the argument with a bitch. see ya

Total_Blender
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
"Debates" like his make me wish that the death panels and FEMA camps were actually real so we can start thinning out some of the weaker members of the herd when it comes to brain power. For the good of the gene pool. We don't want evolution to start working backwards. If we could just round up all the

9/11 truthers
Birthers
Deathers
FEMA campers
Teabaggers
Alex Jones fans

and put them on a rocket bound for the sun, I think we'd all be better off.
:ninja:

LizBiz
09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Well there goes another Obama thread that ended in race.

Did anyone hear about the school that didn't watch Obama's speech but they kids were bussed to go watch Bush's speech?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Kids-Didnt-Hear-Obama-But-Will-Be-Bussed-for-Bush-57827022.html

In case you missed it.

Justin51982
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM

FOR THE RECORD, MOST EDUCATORS AND PEOPLE IN HIGHER EDUCATION ARE LIBERAL. Whether they push their views or not is a different story. I have have many professors I know are liberal, but they do not try to sway things.

Total_Blender
09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
FOR THE RECORD, MOST EDUCATORS AND PEOPLE IN HIGHER EDUCATION ARE LIBERAL. Whether they push their views or not is a different story. I have have many professors I know are liberal, but they do not try to sway things.

How exactly is showing a speech telling kids to "stay in school" trying to sway things?

Most educators are liberal for the same reasons most Blackwater mercenaries and most hedge fund managers are conservative.

BanginJimmy
09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
How exactly is showing a speech telling kids to "stay in school" trying to sway things?

Well for starters, we dont know how much the speech changed between the original writing and when it was actually shown. The speech was never an issue though. The issue was the lesson plan that came with it.

Most educators are liberal for the same reasons most Blackwater mercenaries and most hedge fund managers are conservative.

Because liberals are typically people that goto school for something but can never succeed. Conservatives are the opposite. They chose their career path, but are successful.

"Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach."

tony
09-12-2009, 09:13 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Total_Blender again.

Amazing post. :eek:

Justin51982
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM

I wasn't talking about your comment, I was referencing someone else talking about university professors, thanks for you continued thoughts.

Justin51982
09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Well for starters, we dont know how much the speech changed between the original writing and when it was actually shown. The speech was never an issue though. The issue was the lesson plan that came with it.

Because liberals are typically people that goto school for something but can never succeed. Conservatives are the opposite. They chose their career path, but are successful.

"Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach."

Very much agreed

rehab
09-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I think if anything that memo is asking the teachers to challenge the students to develope their own interpretations of what the President is saying and asking of them. Unfortunately, the real frightening part is that the educator also has the ability to direct the way of thinking of the child and potentially has the means to manipulate the situation and form the younger childs opinions for them.

In my opinion this would be something that ideally should be geared more for middle-school/high-school aged kids who have a bit more developed cognitive skills and can therefore rationalize, and form their own independent opinions -and where the kids may have a chance to know enough to possibly challenge a teacher who may try and push their own political ideas/agendas upon them. Elementary schools kids should have a less intensive form of this as a means to learn reading, writting, and critical thinking skills without having to try and philosophically make interpretations that -well, they're just far too young to form on their own.

Total_Blender
09-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I think if anything that memo is asking the teachers to challenge the students to develope their own interpretations of what the President is saying and asking of them. Unfortunately, the real frightening part is that the educator also has the ability to direct the way of thinking of the child and potentially has the means to manipulate the situation and form the younger childs opinions for them.

In my opinion this would be something that ideally should be geared more for middle-school/high-school aged kids who have a bit more developed cognitive skills and can therefore rationalize, and form their own independent opinions -and where the kids may have a chance to know enough to possibly challenge a teacher who may try and push their own political ideas/agendas upon them. Elementary schools kids should have a less intensive form of this as a means to learn reading, writting, and critical thinking skills without having to try and philosophically make interpretations that -well, they're just far too young to form on their own.

I think this is the most logical thing I have ever read on IA. I'm not sure if there was one lesson plan for all grades or not, but when there is something federal like this the teachers are also subject to guidelines set by local school boards about what is/isn't age appropriate for the younger kids. Kudos and reps :goodjob:

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Actually, see the post quoted above yours.

That post was made AFTER TigerJC brought race into it.

TigerJC is by far one of the most racist guys on this forum. He's all about being black because he's so far from black, he wishes he could be, so online he'll put up a great fight for the black man. When in person he'll shy in the corner and pick his nose with his dunce cap on.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I take issue with this because it is well known that blacks vote proportionately Democrat anyway, the demographics of voters who turned out for Clinton mirror the numbers of those for Obama. Race may have motivated some but please believe being black does not suddenly give you an upper hand in being elected president. The rest of thise post is not directed at you.

Black voters? If you can provide that, then ill shut my trap. but just because the same number of people showed up means nothing, the discussion is black voters, not democratic voters. I know plenty of democratic voters who voted mccain/palin this term.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM

My sentiments exactly. Childrens minds are sponges, and anything instilled on them from a person they look up to, sticks. Why do you think children with good relationships with their parents have the same ideals? It's common sense people.

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
That post was made AFTER TigerJC brought race into it.

TigerJC is by far one of the most racist guys on this forum. He's all about being black because he's so far from black, he wishes he could be, so online he'll put up a great fight for the black man. When in person he'll shy in the corner and pick his nose with his dunce cap on.
How am I far from being black, is it b/c I don't fit a certain stereotype? You're the type of individual that probably still thinks racism died after civil right's movement. The disrespect that was shown to obama would more than likely have never happen if he was a white men, or maybe not since I remember how the right disrespected kerry when it came to his military days. Shows how much class the right wing has. Almost every time obama is mention on this forum, race is brought up, so I am right to believe race might have played a role in this disrespect of the president

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Black voters? If you can provide that, then ill shut my trap. but just because the same number of people showed up means nothing, the discussion is black voters, not democratic voters. I know plenty of democratic voters who voted mccain/palin this term.

Again trying to dumb down the black vote

quickdodgeŽ
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
In my opinion this would be something that ideally should be geared more for middle-school/high-school aged kids who have a bit more developed cognitive skills and can therefore rationalize, and form their own independent opinions

Exactly, dude. This is exactly what I was looking for. Later, QD.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
How am I far from being black, is it b/c I don't fit a certain stereotype? You're the type of individual that probably still thinks racism died after civil right's movement. The disrespect that was shown to obama would more than likely have never happen if he was a white men, or maybe not since I remember how the right disrespected kerry when it came to his military days. Shows how much class the right wing has. Almost every time obama is mention on this forum, race is brought up, so I am right to believe race might have played a role in this disrespect of the president

You're the one who brought up race in this thread, no one else (until after your post). Race would die if america let it, but too many people are stuck on being racist. Black history should have a curriculum change. The second kids see those videos on black people being hosed down by white firemen etc etc, the first thing they do is go home and ask their racist parent what happened. yes 95% of parents are racist (black and white) because they grew up in that time period and those same ideals are instilled to this day.

The same goes for women. There are tons of sexist men. Womens rights is a short 1-2 chapter read in any textbook. Why should black rights be any different? Why does black history get an entire month? It's because america makes such a big deal out of it, and that's why it doesn't die.

As for Tony saying "black is a skin color, and im proud to be black." Really dude? Is it really necessary to preach to the whole world the color of your skin and how great it is, and how great you are for being black? Realisticly it's thoughts like these that keep EVERYONE being racist, in some way shape or form. If a white person said, im white and im proud of being white, cuz white is great! he'd be looked upon as a racist.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Again trying to dumb down the black vote

How so? The original topic was black people voted for obama because of skin color. His argument was that the same number of people who voted for clinton voted for obama, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The real question was, how many of those same voters who voted for clinton turned up, and how many new ones were there that voted for obama?

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 01:11 PM

You're the one who brought up race in this thread, no one else (until after your post). Race would die if america let it, but too many people are stuck on being racist. Black history should have a curriculum change. The second kids see those videos on black people being hosed down by white firemen etc etc, the first thing they do is go home and ask their racist parent what happened. yes 95% of parents are racist (black and white) because they grew up in that time period and those same ideals are instilled to this day.

The same goes for women. There are tons of sexist men. Womens rights is a short 1-2 chapter read in any textbook. Why should black rights be any different? Why does black history get an entire month? It's because america makes such a big deal out of it, and that's why it doesn't die.

As for Tony saying "black is a skin color, and im proud to be black." Really dude? Is it really necessary to preach to the whole world the color of your skin and how great it is, and how great you are for being black? Realisticly it's thoughts like these that keep EVERYONE being racist, in some way shape or form. If a white person said, im white and im proud of being white, cuz white is great! he'd be looked upon as a racist.
Are you kidding, you fucking live in a fantasy world if you think racism will die just because you decided not to look or think about it. After all the years of black being the definition of ugly and the bad in the world according to certain people. I don't see the problem with my respected people to be proud of their color and their culture. I am glad race issues within in the black community have declined over the years. I am talking about the light and dark skin argument, that light was beautiful and more accepted in society than blacks with darker skin tone.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Are you kidding, you fucking live in a fantasy world if you think racism will die just because you decided not to look or think about it. After all the years of black being the definition of ugly and the bad in the world according to certain people. I don't see the problem with my respected people to be proud of their color and their culture. I am glad race issues within in the black community have declined over the years. I am talking about the light and dark skin argument, that light was beautiful and more accepted in society than blacks with darker skin tone.

Who said not to look or think about it? I just said don't put such a gigantic emphasis on it. Again, why is black history a full MONTH? There's really not that much history. In school we went over the same instances over and over, and then spent countless hours watching videos/movies that took up 2 weeks of the month. It should be shortened into a week long lesson plan, like anything else. Like i said the videos just help promote racism. Especially when kids go home and ask their racist parents why things happened and get a racist response like "well the nggers were this and that" and "well the white man is keepin us down!"

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 01:21 PM
How so? The original topic was black people voted for obama because of skin color. His argument was that the same number of people who voted for clinton voted for obama, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The real question was, how many of those same voters who voted for clinton turned up, and how many new ones were there that voted for obama?
Just look at the rise of black voters in every election, I still don't see how you can debate this as there is no way to know why a person voted for a politician truthfully. Yes their was some blacks just like their was some whites that voted solely based on race. But whats the point of fighting over it, I highly doubt it made any difference in how the election turned out

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Who said not to look or think about it? I just said don't put such a gigantic emphasis on it. Again, why is black history a full MONTH? There's really not that much history. In school we went over the same instances over and over, and then spent countless hours watching videos/movies that took up 2 weeks of the month. It should be shortened into a week long lesson plan, like anything else. Like i said the videos just help promote racism. Especially when kids go home and ask their racist parents why things happened and get a racist response like "well the nggers were this and that" and "well the white man is keepin us down!"
Hi Angry White man
Now you rant you made earlier makes sense now, guess I will see you around Feb bitching.

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Angry White man
Now you rant you made earlier makes sense now, guess I will see you around Feb bitching.

Who's angry? Who said im white? Don't make assumptions :rolleyes:

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Just look at the rise of black voters in every election, I still don't see how you can debate this as there is no way to know why a person voted for a politician truthfully. Yes their was some blacks just like their was some whites that voted solely based on race. But whats the point of fighting over it, I highly doubt it made any difference in how the election turned out

You're right Julian. fact of the matter is, people are saying it didn't happen. I just wanted to make it clear to people that yes, people did vote based on race in this election. And just like QD said, a good bit of black people (which were interviewed) didn't know anything about the candidate, and voted soley based off his skin color. But im sure just as many racist white people voted for mccain for the same reason. It was just a question, dont know why you're so sensitive, and why you felt the need to bring race into this equation.

AirMax95
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Go research why it was put in place, please. After that, go research the history and you will see so much more. Why does it matter to how long the period is? This country promoted racism long before, so 1 dedicated month to nationally recognize that which has been ignored should not bother anyone. Funny thing, if the month was not there in the past, schools would only teach on King and Douglass, if that. There were more than 2 highly impacting individuals that were black.

Also, just becuase parents are ignorant does not mean the child will be.

Total_Blender
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Ugh, the race discussion has started again. I can't really post the way I feel about these discussions right now because I'm on a work computer. But come 6:00 or so... its on. :ninja:

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Go research why it was put in place, please. After that, go research the history and you will see so much more. Why does it matter to how long the period is? This country promoted racism long before, so 1 dedicated month to nationally recognize that which has been ignored should not bother anyone. Funny thing, if the month was not there in the past, schools would only teach on King and Douglass, if that. There were more than 2 highly impacting individuals that were black.

Black History Month is meant to remedy the inequity of representation of blacks contributions to the world. HOWEVER, there is no inequity of representation now. We all know who invented peanut butter and the stop light. 95% of the black history month curriculum should be taught in AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF. It shouldn't be labeled black anything. I dont care how long the period is. If there was enough history to it that it ran 6 months long, with different events, and different information everyday in the curriculum it would be beneficial. But, like i said, for 2 weeks out of that month, students sit there and watch videos of racist events, racist interviews and racist movies, which then instill racist thoughts. Which leaves them with unanswered questions, in which they go home to ask their racist parents. It's pounded into students for an entire month, from kindergarten to seniors in high school and then you wonder why racism doesn't go away? It's a series of events that leads to racist activity.

If you think that a child who looks up to their parent, will not have the same ideals as their parent, you clearly have no kids, or no real experience WITH kids.

AirMax95
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Black History Month is meant to remedy the inequity of representation of blacks contributions to the world. HOWEVER, there is no inequity of representation now. We all know who invented peanut butter and the stop light. 95% of the black history month curriculum should be taught in AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF. It shouldn't be labeled black anything. I dont care how long the period is. If there was enough history to it that it ran 6 months long, with different events, and different information everyday in the curriculum it would be beneficial. But, like i said, for 2 weeks out of that month, students sit there and watch videos of racist events, racist interviews and racist movies, which then instill racist thoughts. Which leaves them with unanswered questions, in which they go home to ask their racist parents. It's pounded into students for an entire month, from kindergarten to seniors in high school and then you wonder why racism doesn't go away? It's a series of events that leads to racist activity.

If you think that a child who looks up to their parent, will not have the same ideals as their parent, you clearly have no kids, or no real experience WITH kids.

What I bolded is the solution that has been preached for years, yet the history books have NEVER changed. That is why I am all for Black History Month. Racism will not go away by ignoring the past.

Let me step back and say that children can turn into what the parents are. They have a choice and they know it. They have their own minds, and know it.

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
You're right Julian. fact of the matter is, people are saying it didn't happen. I just wanted to make it clear to people that yes, people did vote based on race in this election. And just like QD said, a good bit of black people (which were interviewed) didn't know anything about the candidate, and voted soley based off his skin color. But im sure just as many racist white people voted for mccain for the same reason. It was just a question, dont know why you're so sensitive, and why you felt the need to bring race into this equation.
a good bit? Turn off the fucking tv

xxbckiexx
09-14-2009, 02:11 PM
a good bit? Turn off the fucking tv

i haven't watched TV in i dont' know how long. I make my statements based off what i see from my own research. from the videos i find on the internet, or elsewhere. My mind is not swayed one direction or the other just because of what the media is saying.

Total_Blender
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
For those of you who didn't really get much out of school, the entire month of February (Black History Month) was not spent entirely on Black history. Since history is taught chronologically, we learned white and black histories simultaneously. While we might have had a couple of lessons specifically on Black history and the black experience, we continued our progress in lessons about Old White Men (and 2 or 3 White women like Susan B. Anthony who wanted to vote/wear pants) mostly unabated.

I really like how you guys spin awareness of the Black experience and an encouragement of tolerance into "ZOMG reverse racism".

TIGERJC
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM

i haven't watched TV in i dont' know how long. I make my statements based off what i see from my own research. from the videos i find on the internet, or elsewhere. My mind is not swayed one direction or the other just because of what the media is saying.
Go out and interview people, and when you have numbers to back your claim I will listen until then you're talking out your ass

AirMax95
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm tired of these internet agruments/discussions.

quickdodgeŽ
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm living proof of this. I moved in with my grandparents at a young age. Was brought up by them and my Mom in the same house for 15 years until I got married. My first child? Black. My first wife? Japanese. My grandparents reaction? Not favorable. Xmas time only saw me getting presents. My birthday I would receive gifts but my family received nothing. So every present I got would be returned. Unless it was cash and then I spent it on my family. After 2 years of no talking or seeing each other, we ended up getting together. Since that day of spending time with each other, my daughter STILL sees my grandparents. My ex (now) wife still receives help from my grandparents if she needs it (because I have a son by her). Not only did my grandparents views on racial intermixing influence me in mine, but they actually overcame their prejudices to an extent. Later, QD.

BanginJimmy
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
what you really mean is if everyone doesnt bow before you you will start crying and whining. You are the only one that is too immature for intelligent discussion and your posts prove it.

AirMax95
09-14-2009, 10:22 PM
what you really mean is if everyone doesnt bow before you you will start crying and whining. You are the only one that is too immature for intelligent discussion and your posts prove it.

Who were directing this towards?

Justin51982
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM

My guess is Total Blender, everyone elses posts contain substance.

BanginJimmy
09-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Total Blender. Hopefully that tool has been permabanned from breathing.

bdydrpdmazda
09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Im not reading all this because Obama is a dumb ass but Ill put in my opinion. If you believe that Obama can actually do anything about healthcare then you are a dumb ass. If you believed it when Obama talked about bringing home the troops then you are a dumb ass, all he is doing as far as the war goes is moving everybody from Iraq to Afghanistan, Im fine with it because Im a believer that we shouldnt pull out of the war until its one, I was just stating my opinion. If Obama wasnt a minority then he wouldnt be president and its that simple.

BABY J
09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
^^^ I'm sure that the over 50% of white voters who voted for Obama feel the same way that you do. I don't vote party - never have, but repubs like to put that spin on it. The BOTTOM LINE is that the Repubs gave McCain the nod. The BOTTOM line is that America didn't need a McCain in office at this time. The BOTTOM line that America didn't need another Republican in the White House (since people like to talk party).

Furthermore, unless you are privvy to some of the Dept. of Defense information that I have been privaleged to then you should tread softly on what you think a dumb idea was/is regarding our troops. You know what you see on TV - people in the intelligence community know much different from high-level briefings that they get. You don't know the information a president knows - until then, you can't intelligently speak on what a stupid idea is regarding troop placement. Decisions on military action are made in briefing rooms, not after viewing a CNN poll on what "the average dork" thinks that we should do.

bdydrpdmazda
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
^^^ I'm sure that the over 50% of white voters who voted for Obama feel the same way that you do. I don't vote party - never have, but repubs like to put that spin on it. The BOTTOM LINE is that the Repubs gave McCain the nod. The BOTTOM line is that America didn't need a McCain in office at this time. The BOTTOM line that America didn't need another Republican in the White House (since people like to talk party).

Furthermore, unless you are privvy to some of the Dept. of Defense information that I have been privaleged to then you should tread softly on what you think a dumb idea was/is regarding our troops. You know what you see on TV - people in the intelligence community know much different from high-level briefings that they get. You don't know the information a president knows - until then, you can't intelligently speak on what a stupid idea is regarding troop placement. Decisions on military action are made in briefing rooms, not after viewing a CNN poll on what "the average dork" thinks that we should do.
considering Im back at war again and back in iraq ive prolly come across some pretty interesting reading that keeps me pretty well informed about whats going on over here and I would say Im probably above what the news shows us and wants us to think about the war at hand

BABY J
09-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Then you should know why effort is being put on Afghanistan. And if you're REALLY in the know you wouldn't see that as dumb.

bdydrpdmazda
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
check my post again, i said the opposite actually, i said im a believer in not ending a war till its won, i was loling at the people that believed he was just gonna end the war like he was saying he would

BanginJimmy
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Decisions on military action are made in briefing rooms, not after viewing a CNN poll on what "the average dork" thinks that we should do.

That isnt true by a long shot. Most dems voted yes to invade Iraq based on poll numbers, which is why they also attacked Bush when the war wasnt as popular.

BABY J
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
^^ You totally misunderstood what I posted. LOL. That was not a rep/dem argument. I'll say it another way.

The people that vote on those polls don't know what you and I know about the REAL reason why we are in the places that we are in w/ our military. The people that say "hey, why don't we just pack our shit and leave Wherethefuckistan" really don't have a clue about miltary action. Those are the simply the people that want their husband/wife/kid to come home and be a family again.

BanginJimmy
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
^^ You totally misunderstood what I posted. LOL. That was not a rep/dem argument. I'll say it another way.

The people that vote on those polls don't know what you and I know about the REAL reason why we are in the places that we are in w/ our military. The people that say "hey, why don't we just pack our shit and leave Wherethefuckistan" really don't have a clue about miltary action. Those are the simply the people that want their husband/wife/kid to come home and be a family again.

This I agree with completely.

I wasnt making a dem/repub arguement either. That was simply the best example I could think of at the moment.

BABY J
09-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Right on... :)

bdydrpdmazda
09-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I just want to make it clear that I support the war 100%, as somebody who has lost great friends over here I would hate to see us pull out too early and see all those lives be lost in vien