PDA

View Full Version : does the color of primer matter?

Mr. Panda
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM
I am planning on completely primering my civic because the paint currently looks terrible. I dont really want to use gray or white primer because i plan on driving it only primered for awhile untill i get enough money to get it painted proffesionaly. i want to use black primer because i think it looks better than nasty gray and im afraid white primer would get dirty easily. i plan on getting it repainted white when i get the profesional job done.

so would black primer effect how the white paint would look?
would it be ideal to just use gray or white instead, or does it not matter?

browningboy7
09-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Unless you use a real primer and not a rattle can then it really needs to be stripped off the car prior to paint due to rattle can absorbing water. All primers do but rattle can is much worse.

Bus Driver J
09-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Well if you want it painted white then black primer wouldnt be your choice.
BUT if you rattle can it, its all gotta be resanded and reprimered seeing that rattle primer is junk for a professional paint job.

So I guess for now it doesnt matter.

Mr. Panda
09-07-2009, 08:08 PM
so what you are saying is it does not matter because it will need to be redone when i get it painted anyway? because yes i plan on using automotive spray can primer. is there another cheap effective way to get it primered that will last?

browningboy7
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
What we used to do was go to an automotive paint supply and get grey primer and have them mix it with an actual paint to tint the primer to a color and spray it. Looks decent for a year or so and costs like $75.

Mr. Panda
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
so just have them mix gray primer with white paint and i should be ok for at least a few months(i plan on getting painted early next year). also im assuming 75 dollars worth to cover the whole car? and does that mean this mix is painted over or still has to be stripped? thanks for the help by the way

TSiFTW
09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I would go ahead and finish the bodywork and use a good 2k primer. Save yourself the trouble and do it right the first time.

Mr. Panda
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
well im on kind of a budget and trust me if i had the money i would do it the best. but i would need a spray gun for 2k primer correct?

browningboy7
09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I would go ahead and finish the bodywork and use a good 2k primer. Save yourself the trouble and do it right the first time.

I've also ridden straight K2 primer, But fuck the beige/yellow/sand color is fuglyyy. I wouldn't mix white paint and grey primer...I'm not sure how that would look. lol

greasemunkey
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
id leave it alone man, wetsand and buff the car to clean the paint up for now. primering it will make painting the car later on either more expensive or a pain in the ass.

dallasb84
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
ummm yeah.

when i did collision work i would tint the primer sealer depending on what base coat i used.....

why would you use a dark primer on a white paint job..... etc.....plus tinting the sealer close to base reduces the chance of tiger striping.... but who does that anyways :)

using rattle can is better than buying the garbage they sell at autozone or summit (mixed primers/sealers).... at least rattle can primer wipes of with laquer thinner....:) but thats labor and a pain in the ass.

my best advice is the same as above mentioned..... use the 2k uerethane from a body shop.... get a harbour frieght spray gun.... mix some black base or make somthing funky for the time being.... and do the body work yourself....

2k high build primers are pretty good at holding up to rain and shit.

browningboy7
09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
ummm yeah.

when i did collision work i would tint the primer sealer depending on what base coat i used.....

why would you use a dark primer on a white paint job..... etc.....plus tinting the sealer close to base reduces the chance of tiger striping.... but who does that anyways :)

using rattle can is better than buying the garbage they sell at autozone or summit (mixed primers/sealers).... at least rattle can primer wipes of with laquer thinner....:) but thats labor and a pain in the ass.

my best advice is the same as above mentioned..... use the 2k uerethane from a body shop.... get a harbour frieght spray gun.... mix some black base or make somthing funky for the time being.... and do the body work yourself....

2k high build primers are pretty good at holding up to rain and shit.

Yeah, I've tinted primer all kinds of colors. Orange, Pink, Baby blue. It looks 3842394 better than spray can primer and it's relatively cheap.