PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Mazda guys chime in.... MS6 questions

Slomaro Z28
09-07-2009, 06:55 PM
So I have been looking at Sti's (04-05ish). But really wanting to move at the start of next year. Used Sti is gonna run around the low to mid $20k.......this is where the Mazda guys come in.......the Mazda Speed 6 looks to be a good alternate to the STi. The 263 HP, AWD, 6speed, sounds just as fun for a DD and cheaper. I have no experience with Mazda, hows the aftermarket, hows the car overall, and any issues with them? Mainly looking for a fun DD, that can carry the kids......mods would be FMIC, intake, exhaust and tune.

Basically any info on the car from people who drive them harder than the reviews on youtube.

NVEOUS
09-08-2009, 01:42 AM
My buddy has one. The aftermarket isn't all that great for them but they are making parts for them. Not sure as to what all has come out. I know that Cobb has the access port for it. I also know they have exhaust kits for it. I believe that there are front mount packages as well. But I could be wrong. Just letting you know what my buddy has found out.

DeeAOne
09-08-2009, 01:45 AM
go with the mazda! but dont listen to me im biased. lol :goodjob:

EP3sAreFun
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
i heard the Speed 6 had problems.... ya might wanna find a mazda forum or something

redfire6i
09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I love my MS6. The aftermarket isnt that great for it, but there are parts available, they just arent cheap. The turbo's on the 2.3 Mazdaspeeds are known to have weak oil seals that may blow out and cause smoking. Mine has only been in the shop once because one of the injectors went out (which isnt common). Check out mazdaspeedforums.org and mazda6club.com

Slomaro Z28
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys, reps for the help.

Redfire, does the MS3 intake fit the MS6? I have found DP, FMIC kit and exhaust but no intake for the MS6......everything is for the MS3. (I like the MS3 just wish it was AWD)

sumixali
09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
check out
mazda247.com
and for parts
Protegegarage.com

Slomaro Z28
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
check out
mazda247.com
and for parts
Protegegarage.com

hell yeah, best site so far for parts:goodjob:. That FMIC kit with the ram air kit is awesome.

sumixali
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
yeah ken is awesome and he really has great parts, there are some parts he doesnt carry.
but you can always find the part you want and see if he has it because if he does it will be cheaper

redfire6i
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys, reps for the help.

Redfire, does the MS3 intake fit the MS6? I have found DP, FMIC kit and exhaust but no intake for the MS6......everything is for the MS3. (I like the MS3 just wish it was AWD)

A short ram will fit but not a cold air.

Slomaro Z28
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
A short ram will fit but not a cold air.

Thanks

redfire6i
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Ive got a Cobb accessport for sale if your interested...

Slomaro Z28
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
It'll be a little while longer before I buy, just researching now. But you can PM me a price and stuff on it, is it unmarried or still attached to your car?

Marta Mike
09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Im a mazda guy at heart but im gonna have to go and say id put my money on the sti. Unless you want something more refined and luxury oriented, then id tip my hat to the ms6. Otherwise its all sti. Im a subaru technician and i must say that the STI is a very well built performance car. The sti a car we see the least, and it has the least amount of failures. The car is damn near bulletproof. Clutch issues, tranny issues, turbo failures, the typical things you may hear about other cars are very rare on sti. The sti is a great choice for a stock platform or a buildable platform. No im saying this bc ima subie tech, cuz I loooooooooooooooove my miata, but in comparison between the ms6 and sti, sti ALL day. But dont take that as the ms6 being junk. Its still a great car. My main issue with the ms6 is its weight, its a bit heavy. But for what it is its still a great package at a bargain price.

Slomaro Z28
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Im a mazda guy at heart but im gonna have to go and say id put my money on the sti. Unless you want something more refined and luxury oriented, then id tip my hat to the ms6. Otherwise its all sti. Im a subaru technician and i must say that the STI is a very well built performance car. The sti a car we see the least, and it has the least amount of failures. The car is damn near bulletproof. Clutch issues, tranny issues, turbo failures, the typical things you may hear about other cars are very rare on sti. The sti is a great choice for a stock platform or a buildable platform. No im saying this bc ima subie tech, cuz I loooooooooooooooove my miata, but in comparison between the ms6 and sti, sti ALL day. But dont take that as the ms6 being junk. Its still a great car. My main issue with the ms6 is its weight, its a bit heavy. But for what it is its still a great package at a bargain price.

I have been reading on mazda247, about all the problems the 6 is having. Smoking turbos, clutches burning up and motors blowing. Also checked and the STi is only $2-3k more. But like I said just researching right now, thanks for the info.

1SICKLEX
09-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I was shocked to see them running high 13s in the 1/4 stock...

Slomaro Z28
09-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I was shocked to see them running high 13s in the 1/4 stock...

Yeah, that's about where my Z was with bolt-on's