PDA

View Full Version : problem after head swap

98blackcivic
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
ok so my boy wit my help was able to swap in a 95 y8 head onto my 98 y8 block...if anyone knows about what ive been goin thru...then you kno that ive been tryna replace my cylinder head becuz the original one's spark plugs seized and are STUCK!!

so it was amazing that we got it on there wit no problems and i was starting to get really happy towards tha end thinkin, "hey ill be able to get around now!".

alas the feeling was short lived. Once we started putting fluids in, we noticed that all the coolant was leaking out from underneath the car...we're both like wtf!...turns out, the itsy bitsy space between where the cylinder head and the block meets, theres a pretty good flow of leakin coolant that is flowing NON stop!...

also, my timing was advanced according to another friend(hope hes right) but the car is not turning over....WHAT A TEASING DAY ITS BEEN!!!...

so my question is, what could be the reason there is a constant flow of coolant from the space between where the head and the block meet? my headgasket looked fine and we reused it...

wat do you guys think, could the headgasket be the issue? sorry for the length...

Barefoot
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
what tq did u put on the bolts. did u put the gasket in on the correct side up. i would used a new gasket and head bolts (josh will so otherwise i know this) at least.

98blackcivic
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
what tq did u put on the bolts. did u put the gasket in on the correct side up. i would used a new gasket and head bolts (josh will so otherwise i know this) at least.

honestly...as broke as i am..i cannot afford another head gasket and headbolts...we were really worried about the bolts at first..but they came out really nice and smooth and looked very healthy...b4 we put them in(Exactly where they go) they were left in a nice oil bath to say lubricated or what not...

im might get a loan soon...but i do not wanna spend ANOTHER dollar on my car man...ive got receipts and shit all adding close to $2500 if not maybe $50-$100 or so bux more...

its on sale for $2500, sadly..

Barefoot
09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
what tq did u put on the bolts. did u put the gasket in on the correct side up.

honestly...as broke as i am..i cannot afford another head gasket and headbolts...we were really worried about the bolts at first..but they came out really nice and smooth and looked very healthy...b4 we put them in(Exactly where they go) they were left in a nice oil bath to say lubricated or what not...

im might get a loan soon...but i do not wanna spend ANOTHER dollar on my car man...ive got receipts and shit all adding close to $2500 if not maybe $50-$100 or so bux more...

its on sale for $2500, sadly..but u didnt answer my questions.

MidLifeCrisis
09-06-2009, 11:49 PM
but u didnt answer my questions.

im pretty positive its the stock headgasket..

for 2500 i can almost build a civic from a bare shell to a running car...

what all have you replaced and why?

Barefoot
09-07-2009, 12:03 AM
im pretty positive its the stock headgasket..

for 2500 i can almost build a civic from a bare shell to a running car...

what all have you replaced and why?he hit me up in via pm i think i got him straight.

green91
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
btw they didnt make the d16y8 in 95.

Barefoot
09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
yo pm me with pix of the car. what was done in the last few years. your price.

THEONE
09-15-2009, 12:26 PM
did you use a new head gasket or the one that was stuck on the head when i gave it to ya?i hope not since that one was used and beat to hell and back lol.
also what did u use to torque down your head bolts and did you do them according to spec and the correct sequence?
i told ya you needed a new gasket and to get the head resurfaced just to be sure. maybe i can swing by sometime and look at it for ya.up to you ...

98blackcivic
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
lol actually the best thing we could think of takin out the loan, totally getting the car fixed and drivn the bitch for the next year or 2....i think ill keep my car cuz by looking at the engine, THAT SHIT WAS CLEAN!..so we left it at my dads friends shop

so am gettin new head gasket, tming belt, water pump, am usin my old cylinder head( lol) and also gettin my door fixed

besides the major engine components and about half of my total sensors, ive replaced just about everythiin n that car!
after this job is done
ill have spent over $3500 on this car!!
lol