PDA

View Full Version : Just a question for BMW guru's E34 or E39

LordZed
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
So I am strongly considering a M5 for my next car. My delima is this. Do I go with the handbuilt E34 M5, which has just the most beautiful body style to me and is lighter, more unique, and possibly one of the most reliable cars BMW ever built. Second option is the rare 95 540i sport (not M-sport which I understand is nearly impossible to find and highly prized) w the six speed manual. Or The E39 M5 which is no doubt sexy and has 100 more hp than the E34 and those cool halo's. But they are more common, IDK the reliability, cost of driving will be higher, and people may think I'm a rich douch bag. But that being said, the E39 is an amazing performance car and has a nicer overall luxary feel. Like I said, Im heavly leaning to the more simple E34 but I honestly am new to BMW's and would like your insite on this subject. Comments like "Rock ta new M5 dats shit is phat yo" will be ignored. Looking for really usefull experienced opinions here. Ive read up on these two chasis a bit so your not talking to a complete cluless idiot, but feel free to wow me with your facts :goodjob:

Elbow
09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I like E39's most, there is a 540 6 speed with M body for sale right now for 8k...

LordZed
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks Simon! Im thinking in about a year, just wondering the dynamic differences beatween the two as far as reliability and quirks. I do love the E39 but I cant get over the visual appeal of the 34.....its ta sex

both purty
http://www.epitom3.com/pics/10-14-07/IMG_1487.jpg

http://www.epitom3.com/pics/10-14-07/IMG_1488.jpg

http://www.epitom3.com/pics/10-14-07/IMG_1511.jpg

http://www.epitom3.com/pics/10-14-07/IMG_1471.jpg

Elbow
09-05-2009, 06:40 AM
I like E34's, but E39's just turn me on, I've always loved them not sure why. We have a E39 528 :(. I plan on putting M bumpers, lights, and wheels on it, plus a small drop. Not to be a poser or anything, I just LOVE the look.

LordZed
09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I dont think it makes you a poser. Even BMW offered the kit's on non M car's so your just a guy who likes the look of a sexy sports sedan :D

I think both these cars are soverysexy

jfman
09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
e39 FOR LIFE!

Cool Cat Racing
09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
If you think the E34 M5 is the most reliable car BMW ever built you've got a lot more research to do. Its very nice but far from cheap or easy to maintain.

bimmergirrl
09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
E30 FTW!
haha
I love the e34s though! Id get one!

LordZed
09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
If you think the E34 M5 is the most reliable car BMW ever built you've got a lot more research to do. Its very nice but far from cheap or easy to maintain.

Not my personal opinion by any means man. Just what I had read. Thats why Im asking :D Could you enlighten me on the common problem areas please?
I dont think any BMW is cheep or easy to mantain per say, but comming from racing DSM's Im sure it's a notch up in the random shit breaking factor. This is the quote I read and the Wiki link

"The E34 was among the most reliable luxury cars on the market, earning the best-in-class reliability rating from Intellichoice in 1991. It is still considered one of the most reliable BMWs made. It was also one of the safest cars on the road during its production"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E34

BimmerGirrl, I love E30's! Also very sexy, but was looking at something a little bigger

Elbow
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
E39, they even handle good, I take our 528 out and it handles just as good as any smaller car, I even took it to Road Atlanta lol.

I will continue saying E39 until you get one lol.

Cool Cat Racing
09-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Not my personal opinion by any means man. Just what I had read. Thats why Im asking :D Could you enlighten me on the common problem areas please?
I dont think any BMW is cheep or easy to mantain per say, but comming from racing DSM's Im sure it's a notch up in the random shit breaking factor. This is the quote I read and the Wiki link

"The E34 was among the most reliable luxury cars on the market, earning the best-in-class reliability rating from Intellichoice in 1991. It is still considered one of the most reliable BMWs made. It was also one of the safest cars on the road during its production"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E34

BimmerGirrl, I love E30's! Also very sexy, but was looking at something a little bigger

There is a big difference between the normal E34's and the M5. The M5 motor was known to be finicky and require more maintainence, just like the S14 motor in the E30 M3's. The ITB's weren't as reliable nor was several other M exclusives. If you want an E34 there are lots of very nice ones and a newer V8 swap isn't that hard to do, making it a great package. The M5's are nice and its a wonderful car but not something for the weary or light in the wallet to own.

LordZed
09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
E39, they even handle good, I take our 528 out and it handles just as good as any smaller car, I even took it to Road Atlanta lol.

I will continue saying E39 until you get one lol.

LOL!!! Well they are more modern and have WAY more power.... but it's not alll about power. I think Im going to have to compare myself back to back road test wise to see which M5 I like better. It sounds silly, but cars have personality to me and which ever one speaks to me more and fits who I am will be the ultimate factor. Unless someone chimes in with a wealth of info on one or the other car stating the case that one of the two is just a money pit time bomb I should steer clear of.
I did find a pretty sweet E39 540T wagon with a sport package and M5 ground effects, bumper and wheels....but it's a auto which is an instant no no for me. Did they import any 540T manual cars here in the U.S.??

There is a big difference between the normal E34's and the M5. The M5 motor was known to be finicky and require more maintainence, just like the S14 motor in the E30 M3's. The ITB's weren't as reliable nor was several other M exclusives. If you want an E34 there are lots of very nice ones and a newer V8 swap isn't that hard to do, making it a great package. The M5's are nice and its a wonderful car but not something for the weary or light in the wallet to own.

Thank you sir, exactly the kind of info I was looking for! So a E34 540 6speed with a sport package could be a good alternative chice then? THis wont be a daily driver and mantienance isnt an issue for me, but breakage and expensive parts are always a PITA. How about E39 M5 quirks?

Cool Cat Racing
09-10-2009, 07:14 AM
The E39 didn't have any crazy quirks. They ironed out most of the issues in the V8's. The rest of the car is just normal E39 issues. Watch the 540's in the E34's as there were 2 V8's and the early one didn't make much power and doesn't have as much aftermarket support. The later 4.4L V8 is by far the better option. My personal favorite is the E39 540T sport. I found a guy selling one with a 4.4L 6 speed swap and the M body work. That is the sex, but I like sport wagons.

LordZed
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
The E39 didn't have any crazy quirks. They ironed out most of the issues in the V8's. The rest of the car is just normal E39 issues. Watch the 540's in the E34's as there were 2 V8's and the early one didn't make much power and doesn't have as much aftermarket support. The later 4.4L V8 is by far the better option. My personal favorite is the E39 540T sport. I found a guy selling one with a 4.4L 6 speed swap and the M body work. That is the sex, but I like sport wagons.

Thank you very much for the insite!! I would def consider a 540T if it had a manual swap and decent miles on it. The E34 540's only had the six speed in 95 didnt they? The previous motor was like a small 3.0 V8 or something like that if I recall what I had read. This will be about a year from now when it becomes time to purchase, so I have a good long while to learn more and test out a few different styles and find what I like.

Cool Cat Racing
09-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Yea, the 3L V8 sucked. The later 3L sixes made as much power and have much better aftermarket support. If you get any manual version swapping the tranny is very simple as is the engine. You can swap everything easier than you can get a nice 6 speed car. My next project is going to be finding a nice E39T and doing a 6 speed 4.4L swap. Finding a 6 cylinder car with a manual that's in perfect shape is easier to find than anything with a V8 and 6 speed already.