PDA

View Full Version : Good news for those that get speeding tickets in Dekalb Co...

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 02:25 PM
There is hope for you being able to get away with just a fine and no points...

I was hit with laser at a reported 63 in a 45mph zone. I was on an access road that runs parallel with I85 here in Atlanta; it's easy to get up to speed. I honestly thought that I was doing closer to 55 in a 45mph zone, but who knows. He shot me a 1/4 of a mile away with laser as I came around a bend. What can ya do? I haven't had a ticket in 7, almost 8 years, so maybe I was due for one.

I go into court and plea down to 55 in a 45 with NO POINTS and only a fine. That means that it won't even raise my insurance rates! You can't beat that shit! :) Damn, I am good. I didn't even have to use "nolo contendere" as an out. The good part was that they offered up a deal before the judge even came inside the courtroom because they were so busy or they just wanted their money sooner than later. I think that Ren had the same outcome when she went to Dekalb Recorder's Court as well? Seriously, I am on cloud 9 right now. :) :) :)

Paying a one-time fine > 3 yrs of elevated insurance premiums

:jester: Today is a good day. Who wants a beer? I'm buying!

quickdodge®
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I'll take a Dew. Later, QD.

A.P. Photography
10-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Where we going, I want my free beer :D Congrats on the ticket.

tony
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
I had the same thing happen in Douglas County, 72 in a 55 and they dropped it to 68.. I'm not sure how often it happens but I was worried about my insurance rate too.

IndianStig
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, maybe if you get the multi color sticker youll get no ticket at all, cause of its laser blocker powers

thats cool tho, not even raise insurance, awesome

rolling_trip
10-11-2005, 02:32 PM
i'm guess the cop didnt show up. i beat an illegal lane change in court, but since it was a fender bender my insurance went up $600 a year. glad to hear your good luck.

JustinSane110™
10-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Nice. :goodjob:

I've been pretty lucky with the tickets myself. Had 4 in Chicago within about 3 months sometime last year, all of them were 15-19 over. Got one a few months ago for 86 in a 60. Somehow my insurance hasn't been touched. :D
That 86 was a bitch at $241, but I wasnt complaining cuz I was really goin 97 right before he clocked me. :lmfao: 2 weeks after that I was goin 25 over in a work zone, saw the cop coming and I got off the interstate at the next exit and he got caught in the traffic tryin to take the fast lane to get to me. That ticket woulda been about $500+. :bigok:

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 02:34 PM
i'm guess the cop didnt show up. i beat an illegal lane change in court, but since it was a fender bender my insurance went up $600 a year. glad to hear your good luck.

Cops don't have to show up in Dekalb Co. Recorder's court. That is the initial arraignment. If you want to fight it, then you will plead and the court will reschedule.

Repost Squintz
10-11-2005, 02:40 PM
yup, i could've told you that.. that shit saved me from loosing my liscense. i got pulled over for doing 24 over, and they lowerd it to only going 14 over. I was like HELL yeS!!! No points on record either, just pay the fine. That was over 2-3 years ago...... *knocks on wood* hopefully no more tickets.

BigBoi
10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
while we are on the topic..

i used to have an '88 Blazer that was a piece of crap.. shook when i got up to 60 so i knew how fast i was going.. well 3 weeks after getting my mustang i got a ticket in Fulton County, college park police dept got me going 83 in a 55 on I-85 N. That is 28 over for the ones a little mathematically challenged.

You say you talked them down on how fast you were going... how does that work exactly? I have never had to go to court, this being my only speeding ticket.. only other ticket was 8 years ago for a stop sign violation.

I admit i was going that fast, but i wanna get out of the points so my insurance doesnt go up.

When you plead do you say "guilty, but can you reduce the speed?" ,, or what?

Thanks for the help.. i've at least learned my lesson from the ticket.

tony
10-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Ruiner, have you considered a laser shifter? I just installed mine about two weeks ago and it already saved me from one ticket.

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I admit i was going that fast, but i wanna get out of the points so my insurance doesnt go up.

When you plead do you say "guilty, but can you reduce the speed?" ,, or what?

Thanks for the help.. i've at least learned my lesson from the ticket.

You need to get below 15 over. So, if you get 14 over or below, it will not be reported to the DMV. 15 over or above is reported and the points go on as well.

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Ruiner, have you considered a laser shifter? I just installed mine about two weeks ago and it already saved me from one ticket.

Yes, but I usually don't speed like that. I will probably pick up the V1, however.

RandomGuy
10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
those laser shifters actually work? They sell them at best buy and shit too right. You would figure they are illegal as shit... I always thought they were a scam.

collins
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
i believe the deal brandon's talking about is just in dekalb co. they recognize that its a source of revenue, and thus treat it as such. they like money, as we all do, so they minimize the effort it takes to get the money. simple enough.

RISKYB
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
congrats man

tony
10-11-2005, 06:19 PM
those laser shifters actually work? They sell them at best buy and shit too right. You would figure they are illegal as shit... I always thought they were a scam.

They definitely work, I was coming around a turn where the speed limit dropped and as soon as he hit me it started shifting.. never picked up my speed.

I had the Valentine 1 before and I miss it a lot.. it did have more false alarms than the Passport I have now but just being able to tell where the radar is hitting you is priceless, if I could do it all over again I would have kept the V1 and bought the shifter as well.

RandomGuy
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
They definitely work, I was coming around a turn where the speed limit dropped and as soon as he hit me it started shifting.. never picked up my speed.

I had the Valentine 1 before and I miss it a lot.. it did have more false alarms than the Passport I have now but just being able to tell where the radar is hitting you is priceless, if I could do it all over again I would have kept the V1 and bought the shifter as well.
what what?
im not sure we're talking about the same thing... I heard of this one thing you install (i think near your bumper or something) right... and it gives the 5-0 a unusable reading from the radar or something, and you're off free. It fucks with the radar somehow. I am not talkin about those passports my friend has one... shit beeps only when his phone is ringing and he got 3 tickets with it. it rarely detects cops.

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
what what?
im not sure we're talking about the same thing... I heard of this one thing you install (i think near your bumper or something) right... and it gives the 5-0 a unusable reading from the radar or something, and you're off free. It fucks with the radar somehow. I am not talkin about those passports my friend has one... shit beeps only when his phone is ringing and he got 3 tickets with it. it rarely detects cops.

Radar is one thing, but laser is the other. You can buy the laser shifter that works with the Passport, but it only gives you a few more seconds to slow down before it locks on. They will still get you if you don't slow down, however.

tony
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah the ZR3 shifter I have works with the Passport 8500, the passport is good cause it picks up radar about a mile ahead and the shifter is good cause it blocks laser, but like Ruiner said the idea is to slow down to the speed limit and then turn it off. (there is a button conveniently placed wherever you want to turn the shifter off quickly)

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread!

RandomGuy
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah the ZR3 shifter I have works with the Passport 8500, the passport is good cause it picks up radar about a mile ahead and the shifter is good cause it blocks laser, but like Ruiner said the idea is to slow down to the speed limit and then turn it off. (there is a button conveniently placed wherever you want to turn the shifter off quickly)

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread! why would you want to turn it off? And what do you mean by blocks the laser.

tony
10-11-2005, 08:13 PM
why would you want to turn it off? And what do you mean by blocks the laser.

If you dont the cop will know something is up when they cant get your speed.. in my case the cop just went on to the next person.

heres a faq on the ZR3

http://www.1radardetector.com/zr3.htm

RandomGuy
10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
If you dont the cop will know something is up when they cant get your speed.. in my case the cop just went on to the next person.

heres a faq on the ZR3

http://www.1radardetector.com/zr3.htm
hell yeah thats what im talkin about... ok say i had one... and i just left it on... what can the cop say? He has nothing on me.. rihgt?

tony
10-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm sure they could still hit you with "wreckless driving" or "too fast for conditions" I dont know how true it is but cops are trained to tell if you are speeding or not so I'm sure they'd still pull you over for passing them @ 90mph.

The only thing I worry about now is being paced, of course they dont have to use laser or radar for that.

ALVIN
10-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Shit I got off easy with a wreck once...I rear-ended an avelanche and did nothing to it. The Snellville cop that showed up told me to be more careful next time cuz he didnt give me a ticket or anything. But the 21 over about 2 years ago was bad because it was in a workzone and I thought for sure that I would lose my license and shit but all I got was a $206 fine and no points. Luck I guess but knock on wood.

Speedm0(\)key
10-11-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm sure they could still hit you with "wreckless driving" or "too fast for conditions" I dont know how true it is but cops are trained to tell if you are speeding or not so I'm sure they'd still pull you over for passing them @ 90mph.

The only thing I worry about now is being paced, of course they dont have to use laser or radar for that.

come on tony! :D .. if you get paced.. and you didnt see the cop, YOU DESERVE IT!!

GirlieZ
10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
yep that is what dekalb does, love it

Ruiner
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
yep that is what dekalb does, love it

Is this the norm? Either way, I am all for that! :)

The Ren
10-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Yes.. I did.. I had a 87 in a 55... and when I got to court they were so busy they told everyone under 21 to pay $90 and go to DD school..

RandomGuy
10-11-2005, 10:50 PM

nah nah im not even that type of driver... I'm just saying... sometimes cops just want to pull you over, ya know? i drive reasonably, Never had a single traffic violation ticket, ever. Its just that I dont want one. I would never pass a cop at 90, in fact i would never pass a cop, lol some of them have those mind ticks that they feel like if youre not intimidated, you need a ticket... Anyways... theoretically, Say i get one, leave it on, forget about it, and drive reasonably... it would reduce the odds of me getting a ticket for like for example a 56 in a 45 zone and stupid shit like that right?

YNOT2JZ
10-12-2005, 07:50 AM

Where we going for beer? holla a cah boy...yeah! :goodjob:

Ruiner
10-12-2005, 08:50 AM
I forgot to mention: You have to be 21 to drink!

YNOT2JZ
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I forgot to mention: You have to be 21 to drink!

I am dawg! :goodjob: :gulp: :drink: