PDA

View Full Version : GSR swap or JRSC in 2000 CRV

TommyD1919
09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
OK before I ask my question let me say that I understand whats involved in both situations. I just want to know what other people would do in this situation. Also I am not interested in doing a CRVtec or a 5 speed swap.

I have a 2000 CRV 2 wheel drive automatic. This thing is in need of alittle more power. I need it to stay absolutely reliable... This is my options.
1st
Do a complete GSR (B18C1) automatic swap. I already have a 2000 GSR engine thats complete and a OBD1 GSR automatic ECU (P72) and the jumper harness. I like this idea because its factory. Don't like the idea because it will still have no low end torque and not that much of a HP gain below VTEC.
2nd
Do a jackson supercharger on the factory B20.. The JRSCs for the non-vtec engines can be picked up pretty cheap used. (800-1000 range) This will give me a good boost of low end torque. If I run 6 pounds of boost this should still be very reliable. If I put a tranny cooler on it the tranny should live even through the boost.
3rd
? let me know.. I did look into a H22 automatic swap but??????

EmminoDaGreat
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I would go with the supercharger option, simply because your tranny should be able to hold the 6psi. Also with the fmu setup that comes with it/missing link etc you should still be able to pass emissions.

Barefoot
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
2nd
Do a jackson supercharger on the factory B20.. The JRSCs for the non-vtec engines can be picked up pretty cheap used. (800-1000 range) This will give me a good boost of low end torque. If I run 6 pounds of boost this should still be very reliable. If I put a tranny cooler on it the tranny should live even through the boost.

I would go with the supercharger option, simply because your tranny should be able to hold the 6psi. Also with the fmu setup that comes with it/missing link etc you should still be able to pass emissions.
simple easy no headaches

TommyD1919
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
yea thats kinda what I am thinking too. We don't have emissions here in Augusta so thats not a factor.. The only reason I was even considering the GSR was because it has such low miles on it (54K)

JKOBD
09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Keep in mind with the OBD1 GSR, you will need the right automatic ecu. The harness is pretty complex (I make them, shameless plug) and the TCM is integrated into the OBD1 auto gsr ecu. You say that you have them both, so if they are indeed correct you are a ton of the way there to doing that. The jackson is cool, but keep in mind that the B20/LS jackson uses the same blower as the D-series setup. Just a thought. Jacksons are fun though for sure and very simple in their stock form.

TommyD1919
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Yea I understand the wiring, I actually did swaps for a living for several years. I am 100% comfortable with going in either direction as far as the work goes. I didn't know the charger was the same as the d series I did know it was smaller than the vtec one. Still though on a auto CRV it should still do what I want.. I could do GSR-JRSC since I have the engine already. I was thinking of selling the GSR to cover some of the cost of the charger but?

Turbodude06
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Honestly the gsr probably will be slower in ur car, cause its heavier, or ur not goin to see much gain if any.... I would go with the supercharger, it would be easier and faster.....

chaseamundo
09-03-2009, 05:45 PM
CLean cnd cut bud. supercharge

TommyD1919
09-06-2009, 08:10 PM
OK so today I was digging through me storage building from when I had my shop and this is what I have...
Greddy intercooler from either a 92-95 civic or a 2000 si but who cares
A greddy blue box from the 99-00 si kit before e-manage
B series Greddy manifold w/o external wastegate (also older one) with dp
so now my question is should I make some piping and get a greddy 16G and go turbo over the jackson supercharger? I know the supercharger route will cost alittle more but what do you guys whould think would be "best"

speedminded
09-06-2009, 08:27 PM
yea thats kinda what I am thinking too. We don't have emissions here in Augusta so thats not a factor.. The only reason I was even considering the GSR was because it has such low miles on it (54K)How much would you sell the B18C1 for? Maybe I can fund your supercharger...

TommyD1919
09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I really don't want to sell it yet but I will let you know when I decide exactly what direction I am going to go..

speedminded
09-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I really don't want to sell it yet but I will let you know when I decide exactly what direction I am going to go..I sold the Type-R out of my '01 GS-R to put it back to stock. As soon as I sell my '95 Integra I will be needing a B18C1 so I can sell the '01 too!

Revmaynard
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I say GSR with the turbo or s/c. Considering the monolithic style of the b20 it's cylinder walls can't always handle the pressure of boost. I've seen more GSR's take boost with less problems. Either way, it's going to be an awesome CRV! lol Keep us posted! :goodjob:

JDMJAYDC2
09-06-2009, 09:47 PM
im not sure if you have a ton of money to throw at this project but id give these guys a call (shameless plug)www.levelten.com
i have one of there top level transmissions on my integra and i love it. your stock auto trans will not hold very much boost for long. If your daily it id give it 6 months i went through 2 in my early years before i upped the coin to the bulletproof one i have now

TommyD1919
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
yea I have been thinking about the level 10 route but can't decide.. The problem is I put one in a 3rd gen RX7 with a street port and a 67mm single turbo... The stock automatic lasted about 6 months before it died. I called and had a level 10 built and installed it.. It lasted 3 months and they gave me the run around about it.. So this left a sour taste.. I then got smart and did a complete 5 speed conversion and that made me happy.. Just a side note but since then it has gotten a 1jzgte swap due to the rotary doing what rotaries due (crappin out) and now it might get a ls1...

Me86Rob
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
dont go smaller than a B20. you will lose the TQ. go with a B20 with a B18 head. stock Integra suspension will drop it 2 inches failry easy. then you have a nice lil ride

TommyD1919
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I didn't know that stock teg suspension would lower it.. I am def. going to do some suspension mods... Prob. at the same time as the engine stuff...

COOK83
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I would go with the JR supercharger...My friend had one on his gsr and it was fun to drive and sounded really good. Plus it was very reliable, he could go anywere with it and give it hell in the mean time and not worry about it.

TommyD1919
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
yea Im really thinking of going the jrsc route.. And I've never had one so that makes it all the better...

oleblue
09-18-2009, 10:39 PM
yea Im really thinking of going the jrsc route.. And I've never had one so that makes it all the better...

You will love it. I had a JR gsr and I miss it. Sounds better than anything imo, plus instant power, no spool-up time.

BABY J
09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
The problem w/ boost is when enough is enough. 6 lbs will feel like 4 lbs in 2 months - and in 6 months will feel like 0lbs. The blower will almost force you to beat on the car and your tranny - IMO you're setting yourself up for failure w/ the SC. While it's practical initially, it's not a practical in an auto. In the long run SC+Autotragic Tranny will hurt you. Also I am not a fan of beating on even stock b20 blocks - and w/ a power adder they will tell on you. Not to mention - the cooler sounds like a viable option when you 1st consider it, but by the time you start to benefit from it (at speed) the damage has been done w/ the off idle TQ surge to the glass tranny tryna pull a 3200lb vehicle from a dead stop.

This sounds dumb - but is more practical:

1) It's a CRV - and you are not trying to build a race-car. You can get a shell for 1k and put the gsr setup you have in it and come out cheaper. And if it costs a tad bit more it's more reasonable/useable. This way, you also have a back-up vehicle.

or

2) fully bolt the current setup. CAI - aftermarket tq converter (if applicable) - KiddRacing header mated to a cheap 2.5 in Midas exhaust / some stage 1 (tuner style) cheap bumpsticks and have it tuned and drive it as it sits. I'd bet that'd be just enough to make you happy.

GOOD LUCK

TommyD1919
09-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok the thing is I have had or built almost every possible swap and boost combo available.. I have done the "buy a shell" thing many many times. Everything from CRX w/zc and greddy turbo to 1995 240 with RB26 single turbo/ RB25 tranny, to GTE powered SCs.. But right now I am just trying to get alittle more power/torque out of the vehicle I take my kid to daycare in.. I had a 98 civic with a B20 and a turbo specialties kit on it at 8lbs and it lasted forever.. So the B20 on boost doesn't scare me a bit.. I would like to just pick up 40 or so whp and about that in torque. I know these gains could be easily done with cams and stuff but I believe as I always have that the worlds problems could be solved with boost.

98blackcivic
09-20-2009, 11:56 AM
wow
if i already had a gsr, id put that head on my b20 block and then buy supercharger and hook it up
order autmatic gsr tranny from japan
i hear they have automatic gsr s?! wtff

98blackcivic
09-20-2009, 11:58 AM
The problem w/ boost is when enough is enough. 6 lbs will feel like 4 lbs in 2 months - and in 6 months will feel like 0lbs. The blower will almost force you to beat on the car and your tranny - IMO you're setting yourself up for failure w/ the SC. While it's practical initially, it's not a practical in an auto. In the long run SC+Autotragic Tranny will hurt you. Also I am not a fan of beating on even stock b20 blocks - and w/ a power adder they will tell on you. Not to mention - the cooler sounds like a viable option when you 1st consider it, but by the time you start to benefit from it (at speed) the damage has been done w/ the off idle TQ surge to the glass tranny tryna pull a 3200lb vehicle from a dead stop.

This sounds dumb - but is more practical:

1) It's a CRV - and you are not trying to build a race-car. You can get a shell for 1k and put the gsr setup you have in it and come out cheaper. And if it costs a tad bit more it's more reasonable/useable. This way, you also have a back-up vehicle.

or

2) fully bolt the current setup. CAI - aftermarket tq converter (if applicable) - KiddRacing header mated to a cheap 2.5 in Midas exhaust / some stage 1 (tuner style) cheap bumpsticks and have it tuned and drive it as it sits. I'd bet that'd be just enough to make you happy.

GOOD LUCK

or do wat this guy sez

claybird
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
man I wanna see the out come to this