PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Sinfix_15
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I sold a guy a car a couple days ago and now hes having problems with it. It was an 89 240sx i had been using as a daily driver. I've never had any problems with the car at all. I've taken long trips in it, from mobile AL back and forth to atlanta and so forth. It's an 89 car, it's obviously not a ferrari but it ran good. I let the guy testdrive it as much as he wanted, looked it over the whole nine. Sold the car, everything seems to be ok. A couple days later he calls me and says he's having some major problems with the car, that the engine is knocking as so forth and asks if there's a possibility i could buy it back.

I've never been faced with a situation such as this, so im not sure what the standard procedure is. My first guess is that the new owner may have driven the car a little harder than i normally would and with an 89 vehicle, anything can happen. I'm not sure what to do, i want to be friendly, the buyer seemed like a nice guy and i dont want to do anybody wrong, but what are my options here? I sold a car that left my house running good and now its appearantly tore up. I dont have the $ to buyback or repair a vehicle otherwise i wouldnt have been selling it in the first place.

your thoughts?

99jdmLs
09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
ok, heres how it goes bro.....a similar situation happened to some people on here before.

guy A traded a car with guy B. few days late guy B starts having probs then the car is not drivable ..... there was tension of course but driver B got it fixed. ect.

you sold him the car..he test drove it and approved. i hate to say it but he is SOL. ya you want to be friendly but thats like saying i jsut broke the car i bought from you....you can have it back now.

i know you don't want to hurt feelings and/or anything like that but like you said, he may have been doggin the hell outa that thing. lol....

back in november i bought teg from a person in atlanta. i though the car was fine...ac worked, no leaks..drove great. no smoking, ect....i drove it back home and you don't even want to know the list of problems that happened. lol....the just took shortcuts and sold me crap but i couldn't do anything about it..i fixed it and moved on.

even though you prob didn't take shortcuts, he tested the car....drove it. approved of the car. he even had the car a few days before he started having problems. your just gonna have to be nice and say sry. you cant do anything about it. ......

h22civic09
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
The way I see it u are in the clear. He had to do something to it if it was fine when he bought it. It sucks for him but u are not responsible for his mistakes. I had some similar issues when I got my Honda

LIKEG6
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds like he was beating on it to me.

There is no warranty on it after you sell it so it's his own fault. That's like the guy that bought my gf's car calls her everytime something happens to it even tho we sold it over a year ago.

IMO maybe help him with the problem but don't buy the car back or pay for repairs. He drove it, looked over it and bought it so it's his responsibility now.

Good luck with it tho. Never a good situation to kinda feel like an ass hole.

:goodjob:

lanning
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
same thing just happened to my friend, he purchased the car and blew it up th next day. he never called the guy that sold it bc it wasnt that guys fault it was my friends fault for purchasing the car

sorry i didnt see it was in the crew section before i posted

99jdmLs
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
IMO maybe help him with the problem but don't buy the car back or pay for repairs. He drove it, looked over it and bought it so it's his responsibility now.

thats the best thing to do...im actually gonna agree with brooks on this one. lol.....

TSiFTW
09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah the other guys are right. You have no idea what he did to the car after he got it. Especially with it being a 240 he could have been trying to drift, of show off to his buddies, whatever. He is just SOL. Bad side of used cars.

HypnoToad
09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
im the one the bought the car from him,i mean i have no ill feelinga against him or anything.and i didnt think he would give money back or.

i mean things happen,main thing i was calling to figure out if these things had started before i got it,so id know where to go in fixing them.

never expected to to get money back or anything,guess i was just little ill at the momment when i called u....since it kinda ruined my trip with my gf this weekend.

also i didnt beat on it,i drove it...ofcourse i got on it few times during testdrive to make sure it felt good and not lacking but i babied it since then.

SoLJames95
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Well if its not ebay sold, Your clear. LOL.... My gsr civic ran like a dream and anyone can vouch that has seen it. i sold it to a girl, and a week later she says hey i threw a rod, is there anyway we can work something out. UM NO!!! Not to be mean but cmon- Its called the Tail light warranty.... Once he drives off its his problem and you dont see the lights its his problem. Yes there is a feeling of guilt.. But in reality its his problem, the only reason you can be held accountable is if bill sale has some kinda of written agreement about the car maybe not working in the future, but that does not seem to be the case. Kindly explain the situation about how there is noway of buying it back but will gladly look at it or guide him to a place to go and have it looked over. I have ran into these problems before, but anyone will tell the guy who bought it, you should have examined it more. But its your call, legally you are clear. Hopefully you met in a disclosed area not at your house.

99jdmLs
09-01-2009, 07:15 PM
im the one the bought the car from him,i mean i have no ill feelinga against him or anything.and i didnt think he would give money back or.

i mean things happen,main thing i was calling to figure out if these things had started before i got it,so id know where to go in fixing them.

never expected to to get money back or anything,guess i was just little ill at the momment when i called u....since it kinda ruined my trip with my gf this weekend.

also i didnt beat on it,i drove it...ofcourse i got on it few times during testdrive to make sure it felt good and not lacking but i babied it since then.

i would rep you if i could bro but i cant...i have repped to much in the past 24 hours. lol.

thanks for being on top of the situation and not blowing your top. best of luck to you bro.

SoLJames95
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
DAMN 240s... it probably had a KA!!!! I kid I kid. :)

LIKEG6
09-01-2009, 09:14 PM

:goodjob: +whatimworth