PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods catch can question

dallasb84
09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
do i,,,,,,

install a/n fitting on valve cover run hose to can then run to intake manifold???

plug factory hole on valve cover and reuse or plug factory intake mani port (im talking about the hose that goes from vc crosses over fuel rail and straight into mani).

can i get rid of the charcoal box alltogether????? isnt there a sensor on it???

im obd2 b18b1

im trying to not throw cels as well as blow smoke.

thanks

dallasb84
09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
btw my ring gaps are set at max so im a lil worried about blow by on cold start and a bit when running.... thats why i feel i need a catch can.

TheChosenOne
09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Good question. My friend called to ask me about the same thing last night, and I wasn't sure myself. I'm gunna do some research and see what the benefits and disadvantages are of having the catch can.

dallasb84
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
good look homie, preciate ya

TheChosenOne
09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
...straight from the scriptures of Honda-Tech. :goodjob:
Lose the valve in the back of the block. Get a 1/4 BSPT nipple from mcmaster carr and route the line to a catch can. If you leave the valve in, it shuts under boost and the crank case pressurizes. That pressure will find another way out..... usually through the oil pan gasket or the main seals. Either plug the port in the IM or use that port as one of your vacuum sources.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1897200&highlight=catch+DIY

SPOOLIN
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
most people just block off the port that the black box goes into...they replace the 2 big plugs in the back of the engine with vacuum style fittings OEM from honda that screw right in and use that shit as a drain back. Putting the larger ports in the valve cover works because the block has big holes connecting it to the head where the blow by can go. there is 2 big filters on the side of it now for the pressure to vent out while the oil stays in the can, the can is baffled.

Heres my can that TDF made me earlier this year, im sure it holds about a gallon for whatever reason...that would take me just about a full season to fill up.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/spoolinmatt/2000%20EK/Third%20Setup/imagejpeg_0_1.jpg

Heres the lines running to it.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/spoolinmatt/2000%20EK/Third%20Setup/P1030050.jpg

Im going to get the fitting for the back of the block and modify it with an AN style fitting so i can run a line directly from the back of the block to the can for extra venting and block off my black box.

jdm>usdm
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
...straight from the scriptures of Honda-Tech. :goodjob:
Lose the valve in the back of the block. Get a 1/4 BSPT nipple from mcmaster carr and route the line to a catch can. If you leave the valve in, it shuts under boost and the crank case pressurizes. That pressure will find another way out..... usually through the oil pan gasket or the main seals. Either plug the port in the IM or use that port as one of your vacuum sources.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1897200&highlight=catch+DIY

Could someone further explain exactley what valve is being spoken of here? And also, exactley what does the black box on the back of the block do?

B18c1Turboed
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Look at the picture in my signature

SPOOLIN
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Could someone further explain exactley what valve is being spoken of here? And also, exactley what does the black box on the back of the block do?

the only valve is the PCV valve. The valve when it sees boost from the manifold is going to slam shut and block the air movement from the block to the manifold where it gets resucked in and burned through the engine. The black box is a liquid/vapor seperator, liquid oil collects and falls back into the block while the vapor goes up and through the pcv valve and into the manifold to get burned off and also lower your octane rating haha.

jdm>usdm
09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
the only valve is the PCV valve. The valve when it sees boost from the manifold is going to slam shut and block the air movement from the block to the manifold where it gets resucked in and burned through the engine. The black box is a liquid/vapor seperator, liquid oil collects and falls back into the block while the vapor goes up and through the pcv valve and into the manifold to get burned off and also lower your octane rating haha.

Thank you sir :cheers:

Im running a completey stock ls engine on 10 pounds. and The only thing I have done it terms of engine ventilation is put a breather filter on the valve cover where the old line that used to run to the intake went.

Am I hurting the motor by running it like this at low boost levels, with no catch can?

Thread jack.lolz

SPOOLIN
09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Thank you sir :cheers:

Im running a completey stock ls engine on 10 pounds. and The only thing I have done it terms of engine ventilation is put a breather filter on the valve cover where the old line that used to run to the intake went.

Am I hurting the motor by running it like this at low boost levels, with no catch can?

Thread jack.lolz

not hurting anything...stock engine is only going to start producing a lot of blow by once it gets worn in from the turbo. Just get a greddy catch can or similar......does your filter on the valve cover get moist or is it oily? if it is then switch to a catch can.

jdm>usdm
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
not hurting anything...stock engine is only going to start producing a lot of blow by once it gets worn in from the turbo. Just get a greddy catch can or similar......does your filter on the valve cover get moist or is it oily? if it is then switch to a catch can.

Well I ran the filter on an old motor that stated knockin, and it was covered in oil on that one. So since Ive swapped it to the new motor I dont know if anymore oil has been added, or if its just all old. But Ill pick up a new filter and see what it starts lookin like.

I suppose that if it gets oily then Ill look into get a catch can.

I appreciate all the info man.

dallasb84
09-03-2009, 12:57 AM
this is all the exact info i was looking for....

btw whats a good approach if the car is obd2 .... if that matters.

SPOOLIN
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
same approach, i don't think obd2 has the black box though...