PDA

View Full Version : Onboard NIC MIA

jorgen
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
This has happened a few times.
My onboard NIC has disappeared.
Open Network connections, its just not there.

The first time I fixed this by installing a PCI NIC, then magically it found the onboard card.
Well, I'm out of PCI slots and I need both connections.
Anyone have anyclue how I can fix this?

jorgen
08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Did a BIOS flash, that didn't help.

guinness
08-31-2009, 11:21 PM
have you gone through device manager and tried to either find,disable then enable,or gotten on the manufacturer' website and see if they have a download that can take care of it.also,are you using as desktop or a laptop?

jorgen
09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Desktop, the device is not in device manager, or anywhere else for that matter.
I was looking around, and someone said it was a BIOS issue, which is what led me to flash, didn't find anything on the website, but did request tech support.

This all started when I did a linux dual boot the first time.
Even wiping the O.S. doesn't help.

If it were a PCI NIC instead of an onboard, it would be like I had just taken it out.
But I can't take it out. It's the strangest thing.

guinness
09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
wait a second!!you said that this all started after you tried to do a dual-boot with linux,right?if that's the case,then the most likely cause of your problem is that your computer is missing the drivers that came installed on it for the NIC.look into that and then let me know what you come up with or run into.

jorgen
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
That was maybe two years ago, that I fixed by installing a PCI NIC and it found the onboard when I started up. Haven't been able to repeat that.
I've downloaded the driver, but XP doesn't even recognize that I have an onboard NIC.

guinness
09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
it's probably your onboard NIC.....it has bitten the dust.if i was you,i would try a USB to ethernet connection.belkin makes one that costs you around $20.if it's not showing up in device manager,then your NIC,onboard one,is just bad,and going the USB to ethernet connection is your only other real option.

jorgen
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm 99% sure its not bad, but some kind of configuration error has caused it to disappear. Guess I'll just move on.

guinness
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
well,that's all i can guess could be wrong with it,lol.if i was you,i would call it quits on it before you drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out when it could be something so simple that neither of us will see it.fuck it man and move on,lol!!!