PDA

View Full Version : Misc Swine flu outbreak at Emory and UGA

sam.car
08-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeh...the RA's just came by telling everyone that there's an outbreak of the Swine flu here at Emory. They said people are dropping like flies. The locals are going to be sent home if it gets serious, because the quarantine facility on campus isn't large enough.

Apparently UGA aswell, but homefully some UGA head can chime in and confirm.

One of the girls in the next dorm over is being sent to the hospital early in the morning.

Vi3t
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
i have biochem tomorrow in white hall. :2up:

Deke
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Apparently Tech is having problems too. I still get emails from them and they sent some campus advisory thing a week or two ago.

Wash your hands, a lot.

nreggie454
08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Last I saw in our school newspaper, there were 17 confirmed cases at UGA, but that was last week. I also read that it has hit the dorms, so practically every freshman will get it soon enough, spreading it everywhere.

Stupid freshmen.

sam.car
08-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

REVupZ
08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
actually this thread is scaring the shit out of me right now, maybe this is a vital reason to skip class tomorrow.

sam.car
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Heh, you wonder why I'm still up?

My girlfriend has a roommate, who has been sick since yesterday. Exhibiting all the symptoms of Swine Flu.

sogood
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Fuck me, I live a rocks throw away from Emory... It's going around at GA Southern, too.

toxxxic
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm glad I don't go to school. But really what do they expect? This is the reason they tell kindergartners not to come to school when they get the chicken pox.

I'd be wearing a mask and washing my hands 24/7. LOL

Benefit
08-31-2009, 12:30 AM
yes...yes

ScrapMetalDSM
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Damn that sucks! I wonder if Ga State is having the problem? It's mainly a commuter school but there are Dorms.

Kevykev
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
My friend's 4 year old daughter had it...keyword/phrase "had" and "4 year old."

Supposedly it's just as bad as having the unswineflu.

YoTa_BoX
08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Dude its the flu...nothing more. Ever had the flu?

This is why i hate watching the news...they hype something up more than it is to scare the shit out of sheeple.

WhiteAccord
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Dude its the flu...nothing more. Ever had the flu?

This is why i hate watching the news...they hype something up more than it is to scare the shit out of sheeple.

Troof. Just like supposedly the economy is down.

T.C.
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
The entire school system for Georgia is having an outbreak, its nothing to get hyped up about though. The swine flu has been around for awhile and its just something the news can blow out of proportion.

Greddypacked
09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
They have a great antibiotics/vaccine they are coming out w/ in October. Then it will be treated like a regular flu. ATM though its pretty dangerous.

PSINXS
09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
anybody find it odd all these college campuses are picking this virus up?

thegovanator
09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
It's at State and Tech too man it sucks cause I go to State and we've already had a few cases

Thundercat
09-01-2009, 07:15 PM
its not serious like that down here at VSU ..just a matter a time i'm sure

nreggie454
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM

No. Take a bunch of different people that could have been around the virus in their hometown, then pack them in a tight lecture hall or dorm. They cough or sneeze on somebody else, then it spreads.

Deke
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM

No. Take a bunch of different people that could have been around the virus in their hometown, then pack them in a tight lecture hall or dorm. They cough or sneeze on somebody else, then it spreads.

Exactly, not to mention activities such as drinking games, hook-ups, dorm life, etc.

I think it's weird that you (PSINXS) think it's weird :)

PS, I do believe that it's over-played by the media, but it's not just a normal flu. I'm not saying you're going to die from it, but it is becoming much more widespread than common influenza, and it's not even flu season yet.

Slomaro Z28
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
At my kids daycare too, and KSU.

cactusEG
09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Kinda worries me ! My older sister goes to Emory...

DaSmittyman
09-03-2009, 12:22 AM
woo! as far as i know non at spsu

allmotoronly
09-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Yeh...the RA's just came by telling everyone that there's an outbreak of the Swine flu here at Emory. They said people are dropping like flies. The locals are going to be sent home if it gets serious, because the quarantine facility on campus isn't large enough.

Apparently UGA aswell, but homefully some UGA head can chime in and confirm.

One of the girls in the next dorm over is being sent to the hospital early in the morning.

Why are people making such a big deal about swine flu? It's not nearly as deadly as the regular flu. According to the CDC, as many as 52000 people a year here in the US die from just plain ol' Influenza. I would be highly surprised if more than 1000 people die in the US from swine flu this year. Swine flu is no more deadly than regular flu if treated medically (like regular flu). Young children are the only polulation more vulnerable to getting swine flu. The news is just looking for something to make a bid deal about... I could imagine if it was smallpox of the plague or something, but swine flu? It's been around for hundreds of years and comes and goes every 100 years or so.

marcos713
09-03-2009, 01:02 AM
woo! as far as i know non at spsu

same thing i heard! hopefully it stays that way to!

allmotoronly
09-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Exactly, not to mention activities such as drinking games, hook-ups, dorm life, etc.

I think it's weird that you (PSINXS) think it's weird :)

PS, I do believe that it's over-played by the media, but it's not just a normal flu. I'm not saying you're going to die from it, but it is becoming much more widespread than common influenza, and it's not even flu season yet.

college students are more at a risk of getting meningitis from drinking games, hook ups, etc than swine flu. Swine flu is NOT more wide spread than the common flu. I work at the 3rd largest hospital in GA and we have only seen a handful of cases of swine flu, but probably 25000+ cases of regular flu this year.

Deke
09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
college students are more at a risk of getting meningitis from drinking games, hook ups, etc than swine flu. Swine flu is NOT more wide spread than the common flu. I work at the 3rd largest hospital in GA and we have only seen a handful of cases of swine flu, but probably 25000+ cases of regular flu this year.

I believe you on the second part (I mean this year does include last winter's flu season). But I certainly do not agree with the meningitis part. Maybe you were just exaggerating for effect? Ive known of two people that got meningitis while I was in school. Never did I get a warning through school other than the initial recommendation for vaccination upon entering. There have been more people at Tech to be diagnosed with swine flu in the past month, than I had heard about meningitis my entire college career.

I understand the media is hyping it a little much, but IMO you're downplaying it a tad bit.

Verik
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
all motor only....

so, my gf works at brumby dorm at UGA which houses 900 girls. already 20 cases of swine flu have been there. *shrugs* but you work at the 3rd largest hospital in ga, so naturally that means you have reviewed the medical files of all the hospital's patients and immediately knew the comparison to meningitis. i salute you

Elbow
09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
It's the flu, you won't die, unless you don't go to the doctor, OH WAIT THAT HAPPENS WITH REGULAR FLU AS WELL.

Wash your hands, don't go near sick people, and avoid places that have lots of contact, such as parties with drinking games...LMFAO YEAH RIGHT AT GETTING ANY COLLEGE STUDENT TO DO THAT.

You all do know the rest of the world has been in flu season all summer right? They haven't had a huge breakout or high death tolls. There is no reason to believe for some reason this side of the world will have it any worse.

I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me all the time, and wash my hands frequently, that's about all you can do.