PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Custom Brake Setup

cjhutch
08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm looking to up the braking on my car. It's not bad now, but there is room for improvement. I want to go with a set of Wilwood Forged Superlite 4 pots. I'm planning on using 314mm rotors in place of my current 302mm rotors. The rotors have a thickness of 28mm which means I need to get the Superlites made for 1.10" rotors. Now that all that is out of the way I need to get some custom caliper brackets made. What would a machinist need in order to make the brackets? Wilwood has all the dimensions of the calipers on their site, will they need my stock calipers as well?

redgst97
08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
I would figure they would want the parts. Schematics are goo, IF you are 100% sure they are accurate. Wrong numbers is means a custom part that does not fit.

speedminded
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm looking to up the braking on my car. It's not bad now, but there is room for improvement. I want to go with a set of Wilwood Forged Superlite 4 pots. I'm planning on using 314mm rotors in place of my current 302mm rotors. The rotors have a thickness of 28mm which means I need to get the Superlites made for 1.10" rotors. Now that all that is out of the way I need to get some custom caliper brackets made. What would a machinist need in order to make the brackets? Wilwood has all the dimensions of the calipers on their site, will they need my stock calipers as well?You need to calculate both the offset of the new rotor and the distance of the new placement of the caliper to the mounting point.

The easiest thing to do is mount the new rotor, place the caliper where you want it, then take the measurements to the mounting point. You can even fab up the mock bracket with a block of wood or plastic to use as a prototype, much easier and cheaper to work with then a chunk of steel or aluminum.

What is the car you're doing this on? Are you using a single piece rotor or one with an aluminum hat?

cjhutch
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
These are for a 2004 Saab 9-3. It's going to be a single piece rotor. The european cars come with 314mm rotors stock. So it's basically stock rotors with an upgraded caliper and pad compound.