PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors My new deer slayer

allmotoronly
08-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I picked this up a few weeks ago and have added some new upgrades. It's a Browning A-Bolt stainless in .300 RUM. I've added a Nikon 4.5-14x40 scope (for hunting), a limbsaver recoil pad, a bipod, and had the barrel threaded and a VAIS muzzle brake installed. I'm also ordering a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 scope for long range target action. I had the trigger springs upgraded and the trigger adjusted to 2.5#. With the recoil pad and the muzzle brake I can actually shoot this thing stanging up now. As you can see in the pic, the .300RUM round is MUCH larger than the .308 beside it. The other two casings are 6.8SPC and 5.56 NATO. My next plans are for a McMillan custom stock. I've owned a REM 700, a winchester model 70, and a savage 110, and this gun is by far my favorite. The action is much smoother than my 700. I haven't had a chance to do any long range (500yd) shooting yet, but so far it will keyhole shots at 250yds. I bought this gun to hopefully take out west (and eventually Alaska!!!)next year for some long range big game action. Let me know what you guys think!!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02459.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02464.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DSC02465.jpg

Nateds16
08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
damn that is nice

Truegiant
08-29-2009, 12:01 AM
300 RUM is the worst cartridge ever made from my experience. I just got back from some beer drinking but will elaborate tomorrow.

But that is a nice deer rifle. I have owned 3 that were all very similair. Nice gun and action.

allmotoronly
08-29-2009, 02:48 AM
300 RUM is the worst cartridge ever made from my experience. I just got back from some beer drinking but will elaborate tomorrow.

But that is a nice deer rifle. I have owned 3 that were all very similair. Nice gun and action.

well it's an excellent cartridge from my experiences. I've owned pretty much every caliber of large rifle except .338 Lapua mag and the chey-tac. This is my favorite so far. It is a very flat shooter. If I wanted a full out sniper rifle I would just buy another Rem 700 in 300 win mag or maybe even a Lapua mag this time.

Truegiant
08-29-2009, 02:33 PM
When the RUM first came out I was all over it. I bought 3-4 different rifles/actions in that caliber to do some testing with. I guess I was just not impressed with the factory ammo at the time. Did alot of shooting into different objects. Telephone books. Stacked gallon jugs. Concrete blocks. etc.. I will see if i can find some more info that i had compiled for a thread awhile back on the 1000yd forum I used to be on.

allmotoronly
08-29-2009, 08:01 PM
When the RUM first came out I was all over it. I bought 3-4 different rifles/actions in that caliber to do some testing with. I guess I was just not impressed with the factory ammo at the time. Did alot of shooting into different objects. Telephone books. Stacked gallon jugs. Concrete blocks. etc.. I will see if i can find some more info that i had compiled for a thread awhile back on the 1000yd forum I used to be on.

I agree, Factory remington loads blow. I shoot the CORBON DPX 180gr loads. They have a muzzle velocity of 3300fps, and a muzzle energy of 4354 ft lbs. Nosler makes some "custom" loads with 150gr boat tailed bullets that is good for right under 3600fps that shoots very flat.

Truegiant
08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I shoot alot of the nosler bullets out of my 338 win mag. Its a BEAST!

Range report.. ASAP!

allmotoronly
08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I shoot alot of the nosler bullets out of my 338 win mag. Its a BEAST!

Range report.. ASAP!

Yea I like the .338 Win mag. A friend of mine used to have one. That's actually the gun that got me into the magnum calibers. At 3966 lb ft of energy in a 200gr projectile it is still pretty stout. Have you shot a .338 RUM? It's good for 4800 lb ft of energy in a 225gr round. The lapua mag is good for around 5000 lb ft out of some of the really hot 300gr rounds. Did you know that both the .300RUM and the .338 Lapua mag share the same parent case? Lapua redesigned the brass and increased the thickness to support the higher pressures made from the powder they use. The .300RUM is close to the upper limit of the case pressure limit, but can be safely loaded about 10% hotter before the case has issues.