PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Whats a good cam that makes top end power.

NosVette
08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Im trying to see witch cam makes power on the high rpm range.All I see is hp and trq claims by people but by the way I look at it if you've got 10 hp more and your opponent and his rpm range goes 600rpm more its more likely that his car is going to out preform yours .I know that stage 1 cams(in general) and itr's powerband drops around 8600rpm.What I want is a cams that has a power band to 9200-9500rpm.Lmk what info you guys can give me.Thanks

NosVette
08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
For got to mention its for a Honda B-series Vtec...

all-mota
08-27-2009, 05:07 PM
what type os b series engine is it and is upgrading the valve train a option

NosVette
08-27-2009, 06:03 PM
what type os b series engine is it and is upgrading the valve train a option

130,000 b16a2 with arp rod bolts and yes im upgrading the valve train still havent decided what brand im going with.I am going to go with a gsr head the fact of it because it will raise my compression.

allmotorX
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
cant go wrong with skunk2 pro series. Also to big of a cam and not enough compression could result in a power lose.

NosVette
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
cant go wrong with skunk2 pro series. Also to big of a cam and not enough compression could result in a power lose.

yeah I know...thats why I am going to put a gsr head and a thiner head gasket the stock b16a2 is 10:4

punkr6
08-27-2009, 09:06 PM

^^ nuff said :goodjob:

NosVette
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I appreciate you guys info but no one has answered my question yet about what cam has a power band all the way till 9200rpm-9500rpm

allmotorX
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I appreciate you guys info but no one has answered my question yet about what cam has a power band all the way till 9200rpm-9500rpmPretty much all depends on your setup in order to find that out you would have to experiment with different cams, or look around for different setups.

tofu-eg
08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
you can also check on honda-tech..they have lots of info..

all-mota
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
alot of cams will make power into that range but the problem is wether the head and supporting mods will move enough air to make the power your wanting

SoLJames95
08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Pretty much all depends on your setup in order to find that out you would have to experiment with different cams, or look around for different setups.

:stupid: Ive seen some crazy things!!!! My Ls/vtec setup needs some cams and I am undecided. I made 181/130... I saw a bone stock Type R (01) with a kid racing header and just a lil tune make 196-197. and then he put the pro 1s and made 201 and lost 1 in trq:thinking::screwy:... I thought to myself 4-5hp over stock and a loss of 1 in trq?? is it worth 3-5hundred dollars for that. I just cant see my self paying that much for such a lil gain. BUT THEN AGAIN IT VARIES!!! TRIAL AN ERROR IS A BITCH!!!!! So with that being said good luck. Im just thinkin about doing ITR cams and call it day.:cheers:

bigdare23
08-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I appreciate you guys info but no one has answered my question yet about what cam has a power band all the way till 9200rpm-9500rpm

I doubt you would even make power up with basically a stock c/r b16. Even though you're changing heads and using a thinner head gasket, the c/r gain is not significant. With that being said, I wouldn't get past a skunk2 stg2 cam unless you plan on building the bottom-end. :goodjob:

NosVette
08-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I doubt you would even make power up with basically a stock c/r b16. Even though you're changing heads and using a thinner head gasket, the c/r gain is not significant. With that being said, I wouldn't get past a skunk2 stg2 cam unless you plan on building the bottom-end. :goodjob:

okay I threw away my gsr head option and bought some brand new oem ctr pistons from my buddy im guessing my c/r will be good enough for a high rpm setup.Any info on the blox type c cams they look pretty good anybody tried them before?

IntegraXTR
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
well if money is not an issue then I would go with Todas, they make good power from midrange all the way up top, but they won't make any power unless you're bumping atleast 12:1. My spec B's required a minimum of 11:1 to extract any power which still wasn't enough.

Skunk2 pro's are a good choice also but still need compression to compensate for them. The supertech HD kit can handle just about any cam on the market and is a pretty decent price at around $400 for the whole setup.

Why not change the b16 block out for a b18/b20? more displacement will help.

Vteckidd
08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
So mucH bullshit in this thread lol

JDMJAYDC2
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM
So mucH bullshit in this thread lol

mr honda speaks everyone listen

*grabs notebook*:D

Vteckidd
08-30-2009, 11:57 PM
:stupid: Ive seen some crazy things!!!! My Ls/vtec setup needs some cams and I am undecided. I made 181/130... I saw a bone stock Type R (01) with a kid racing header and just a lil tune make 196-197. and then he put the pro 1s and made 201 and lost 1 in trq:thinking::screwy:... I thought to myself 4-5hp over stock and a loss of 1 in trq?? is it worth 3-5hundred dollars for that. I just cant see my self paying that much for such a lil gain. BUT THEN AGAIN IT VARIES!!! TRIAL AN ERROR IS A BITCH!!!!! So with that being said good luck. Im just thinkin about doing ITR cams and call it day.:cheers:
Lil james you my boy and all, but come on man i thought i taught you better than this.

It is crazy to think all these people thought i was going to pick up 20whp from cams , intake manny, and TB. My car with a STOCK ITR motor and a header made 196whp. Thats A LOT OF POWER out of a stock motor. Prob the highest i have ever seen or close to it.

Then i put cams in, and everyone was like "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE 220whp!!!"

Think about it logically. A 1.8L Honda motor, i think the most hp i have ever seen out of one was 205-206. Stock bottom end, i think 202whp is the highest i have ever seen.

You get to the point where the motor can only support so much HP, doesnt matter what cam, header ,etc you have in it. Bigger doesnt always =more power.

PRo1s are a great cam, but i knew (and charles/james can confirm this) that if i gained 5whp id be happy. I KNEW i wasnt going to pick up a ton of power because my motor was already pretty much at its limit.

Take a B16, if it is COMPLETELY stock it makes 135whp. With a header and some ITR cams, 155whp. Do you think if you put a PRO3 cam in it (biggest cam on the market) its going to make 175? 185? Why?

Because a 1.6L cant flow enough air and cant generate enough cylinder pressure to take advantage of the big cam.

So what makes you think an ITR engine making big power already, is going to make tons more with a bigger cam?

just doesnt happen, sorry. I did the cams for 3 reasons

1) It was free
2) Now i have valvetrain to i can rev to 9500 without fear of dropping or floating a valve
3) If i ever do decide to go to a 2.0l bottom end, i have everything i need to make 220whp

I also did something that peak numbers dont tell you, i extended my power ban 600-700 RPMs, which means i can stay in gear longer, and rev it higher, and fall back into a higher power arean when i shift.

Vteckidd
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
for what you are doing, nothing.

B16s lack the airflow, compression, displacement to carry power that deep in the powerband.

You would have to have a retarded ported head,big compression, big cam. Which in a b16 is pointless. Why do all that work to make 105ft/lbs of tQ.

YOu need to tell us what you are trying to do first and what your goals are, but i can almost never think of a time to build a b16. They just arent worth it. Its a good starter motor, but its not something to build , never has been.

I recommend the PRO Skunk camshafts, they have never done me wrong.

Toda for what you pay and the power results, are junk.
Buddy Club cams are decent
Crower is garbage

Vteckidd
08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
okay I threw away my gsr head option and bought some brand new oem ctr pistons from my buddy im guessing my c/r will be good enough for a high rpm setup.Any info on the blox type c cams they look pretty good anybody tried them before?
Compression isnt the problem, its displacement. Compression is only part of the equation.

Go read my NA FAQ thread

SoLJames95
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

B16s lack the airflow, compression, displacement to carry power that deep in the powerband.

You would have to have a retarded ported head,big compression, big cam. Which in a b16 is pointless. Why do all that work to make 105ft/lbs of tQ.

YOu need to tell us what you are trying to do first and what your goals are, but i can almost never think of a time to build a b16. They just arent worth it. Its a good starter motor, but its not something to build , never has been.

Crower is garbage

I didnt even throw you out like that... lol i didnt drop any names, thats why I stated DEPENDS ON SETUP!!!! You didnt have to come in here and throw your motor into the equation.:D I love you mike> NO HOMO...
BTW I made 130 in TRQ with my b16. :ninja:............... Granted it was an LS/Vtec setup:rolleyes:

98blackcivic
09-03-2009, 02:24 PM
i think you gain full benefits from header, intake and all that stuff from a fully built motor...

dirtragz
09-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Crower is garbage

^^^^^^pay attention for the words of the wise ^^^^^^