PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence in Banshee & raptor

B18c1Turboed
08-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Im looking at picking one up for a winter toy.
What is the diffrence in a Raptor 350 then a BAnshee 350?

thanks

deathrex
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
i think it might just be the way it looks. pick up the raptor 660 youll like it so much more :)

David88vert
08-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Old Banshees are 2 stroke. Aren't Raptor's 4 stroke?

deathrex
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
^ damn i did overlook that yes the raptors are a 4 stroke.

punkr6
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
night and day...

slow_hatch
08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Lol, the Raptor 350 is a toy, the Banshee 350 is a fucking MACHINE. You should be comparing a Raptor 660 to the banshee :goodjob:

B18c1Turboed
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Lol, the Raptor 350 is a toy, the Banshee 350 is a fucking MACHINE. You should be comparing a Raptor 660 to the banshee :goodjob:

Yea i started looking at the 660 now, but then i found the raptor 700 and you can turbo charge those. I was told the bad thing about the raptor is that they are so heavy.
IM leaning more towards the banshee now...But, its harder to turbo a banche 2 stroke motor.. :(

B18c1Turboed
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Old Banshees are 2 stroke. Aren't Raptor's 4 stroke?
All Banshees are 2 stroke i belive.

drivinmofo
08-27-2009, 11:50 PM
raptors are pieces of shit no offence but they are..go for a banshee you can put basic parts on a banhsee and basic parts on a 660 raptor and the banshee will stomp the shit out of the raptor..

deathrex
08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
raptors are pieces of shit no offence but they are..go for a banshee you can put basic parts on a banhsee and basic parts on a 660 raptor and the banshee will stomp the shit out of the raptor..

well considering everyones new switch to 4 stoke and fading out the 2 strokes the raptor would be your best bet. parts for the 2 strokes are gunna be a bitch to get after a while i would think considering there no longer making the 2 stroke models. the raptor 660 or the 700's are beast out of the crate. and very comparable to the banshee. the raptor weighs a little more yes look at the engine size. but the feel of it is amazing. but so is the banshee. so what its really gunna come down to is wich one do you like best? personally i prefer the raptor over the banshee. you can do more with it as far as building the motors like adding a turbo like you previously said. but id have to say build a banshee and a raptor same mods to both the raptor is gunna RAPE that banshee no problems stock for stock they rape the banshee. the raptors replaced the banshee for a while. then the yzf series came out wich are basically the new banshees.

David88vert
08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I've got an old Banshee sitting that I can't get to run. Looking to find a good mechanic that knows them inside out. Compression is strong, carbs are rebuilt, all electricals have been checked/replaced, has spark, fuel, but won't start for some reason.

B18c1Turboed
08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I've got an old Banshee sitting that I can't get to run. Looking to find a good mechanic that knows them inside out. Compression is strong, carbs are rebuilt, all electricals have been checked/replaced, has spark, fuel, but won't start for some reason.

got gas in it? :lmfao:

deathrex
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM

how much do you want for it :ninja:

deathrex
08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
got gas in it? :lmfao:

is the fuel switch turned to on instead of reserve or off?

Terror
08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
YFZ450.

thread/

deathrex
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
YFZ450.

thread/

agreed its :boobies:

03RCode
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Banshee = liquid cooled, twin cylinder, 350cc 2 stroke. Very easy to build ridiculous power out of.

Raptor 350= air cooled, single cylinder 350cc 4 stroke. Very hard to make good power out of.

Both have a completely outdated suspension setup, and the technology in the motors are outdated as well. Both can be dead reliable machines if taken care of and properly setup. The Raptor 350 would be slightly better in the trails, where as the Banshee has a huge advantage in the open areas.

Personally, I don't care for either one. The new 450's with bolt on's are as fast as your bolt on Banshee's, and the suspension setup on the 450 makes the Banshee looks like a wagon.

The Raptor 660's and 700's as mentioned are my style either. VERY tippy, and again an outdated suspension setup. If you choose to get one of these avoid the 01 660's as they are known for a weak transmissions. All 660's have issues with the one way starter bearings, L&A designs makes a good one to replace it. The 700's aren't as bad, and a YFZ450 front end will bolt right up and make a HUGE difference, as well as leaves options for tons of potential front end setups for everything from a LT MX setup to a ST XC setup.

I say if you're wanting something fun to play with, cheap parts, reliable as hail get a 400ex, LT-Z400, KFX400, or Arctic Cat DVX400. The Z/KFX/DVX are all the same machine just different plastics. They are all proven bulletproof, and tons of fun still.

If you're looking to be more serious it's hard to beat a new 450. I have a completely setup LT-R450 I'd even sell ya.

03RCode
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Check your TORS system. Seems to be a PITA on those and causes all kinds of issues. Other than that how much psi on compression? Plugs gapped correctly? Make sure you're needle is moving properly. Can you describe what it's doing exactly?

Ohhh yeah, and make sure the choke tube going from one carb to the other is hooked up :goodjob:

B18c1Turboed
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I had a CRF 450R dirt bike and damm i almost killed myself. It had alot of torque, i would spend more time in the sand then on the bike. Im leaning towards a 03 Banshee right now. I have been doing some research and i think its the best bang for a buck...

03RCode
08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I had a CRF 450R dirt bike and damm i almost killed myself. It had alot of torque, i would spend more time in the sand then on the bike. Im leaning towards a 03 Banshee right now. I have been doing some research and i think its the best bang for a buck...

Banshee's are excellent bang for the buck, a good set of pipes (CPI, Shearer, Dynojet, Toomey), a CoolHead or NossHead, good set of pistons, gearing change, jetting, and a ProFlow setup and you'll have a fun machine.

I'm sure you already know the typical 2 stroke maintenence and such, if you're aware of that then you're good to go.

David88vert
08-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Check your TORS system. Seems to be a PITA on those and causes all kinds of issues. Other than that how much psi on compression? Plugs gapped correctly? Make sure you're needle is moving properly. Can you describe what it's doing exactly?

Ohhh yeah, and make sure the choke tube going from one carb to the other is hooked up :goodjob:

I know crap about 2 strokes. 125psi each cylinder. Fresh engine rebuild.
Plugs gapped correctly. All electrical parts have been removed and tested via the FSM. New coil. Carbs have fresh rebuild. Everything seems right, but it won't crank.

Looking to just pay someone to fix it and get it running. It's all stock right now. Can you do it, or have someone who can (an won't waste my time)?

Banshee is not for sale.

03RCode
08-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Plugs gapped correctly. All electrical parts have been removed and tested via the FSM. New coil. Carbs have fresh rebuild. Everything seems right, but it won't crank.

Looking to just pay someone to fix it and get it running. It's all stock right now. Can you do it, or have someone who can (an won't waste my time)?

Banshee is not for sale.

Try these first, their should be a little 3 pronged (IIRC) plug under the tank, unplug it, then make sure that choke tube is going in between the 2 carbs. Those 2 would both cause the issues your having. After that if it doesn't fire pull the plugs and see what they look like. I would love to be able to fix it for you, but with school, and GNCC season starting back up in a couple weeks I REALLY don't have time. If those things don't fix it, I can point you in the direction of someone who can :goodjob:

David88vert
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Go ahead and point me in the direction of someone who can fix it. I'd rather spend money on it before screwing around with it righht now. I have my hands full working on other projects that I have going on right now.

03RCode
08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't have the guys number right off, but there is a guy in Cleveland who does GREAT work with Banshees. He's also helping put on a flat track race series in Cleveland right now, I'll try to get his number tonight for you and PM it to you. He used to be the head tech at GA Powersports & Equipment before they shut down shop. He's REALLY reasonable on his rates, and is a very nice guy.

Or if you'd prefer Paul @ Blue Ridge Yamaha is amazing with anything that says Yamaha on it anywhere. Slightly more expensive though.

Either one are very nice guys and know what they are doing.

B18c1Turboed
08-29-2009, 11:54 AM
so compression should be 125 on each cylinder?

03RCode
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
so compression should be 125 on each cylinder?

Stock should be between 110-125. Anything under 110 is getting tired, anything under 100 is time for a freshening up.

Depending on the setup otherwise it fluctuates. My buddies with a CoolHead and 20cc (IIRC) domes is around 190.

B18c1Turboed
08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Stock should be between 110-125. Anything under 110 is getting tired, anything under 100 is time for a freshening up.

Depending on the setup otherwise it fluctuates. My buddies with a CoolHead and 20cc (IIRC) domes is around 190.

K. i was thinking of going too look at this one
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/1347611404.html

seems kinda desperate, i might be able to get cheaper... :crazy:

or this
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/rvs/1348382061.html

03RCode
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
K. i was thinking of going too look at this one
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/1347611404.html

seems kinda desperate, i might be able to get cheaper... :crazy:

or this
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/rvs/1348382061.html

Out of those 2 I prefer the Banshee, but a desperate seller may or may not work to you're advantage. An un-maintained Banshee is a time bomb. The Raptors have just never impressed me. The power is nice, but not as explosive as a new 450, and they just feel so dang tippy. They improved the handling slightly with the 700, but they still creep me out to try to ride at any kind of pace.

I suggest looking into something like:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/1324767811.html

B18c1Turboed
08-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Out of those 2 I prefer the Banshee, but a desperate seller may or may not work to you're advantage. An un-maintained Banshee is a time bomb. The Raptors have just never impressed me. The power is nice, but not as explosive as a new 450, and they just feel so dang tippy. They improved the handling slightly with the 700, but they still creep me out to try to ride at any kind of pace.

I suggest looking into something like:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/1324767811.html

Thats nice, i just dont know much about those bikes.

03RCode
08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Thats nice, i just dont know much about those bikes.

The YFZ's are IMO one of the best all around quads out there. Awesome in the woods, awesome on an MX track, can hold their own on a drag strip, etc. The motor is nearly identical to that of the WR450 bike, VERY reliable. Cam mod, exhaust, jetting, lid off and you'll be able to outrun you're average mildly built Banshee or Raptor.

03RCode
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM

Banshee is not for sale.

I was sitting around last night actually pondering on your issues here... a few other things came to mind.

1. Reeds... What kind of shape are they in? Did they appear cracked? Where they sitting flat against the cage? They can cause issues like this.

2. Float level... When you rebuilt the carbs did you make sure your float level was set properly?

3. Jetting... Is the bike stock? If it has any modifications to the intake/exhaust your jetting could be the issue.

4. Pilot length... If I remember correctly there are 2 separate length pilots, make sure you have the proper ones for a Banshee/RD carb.

5. TORS... It's a little PITA. Can cause issues you would never expect it to. Unplug it under the tank and see if it helps.

David88vert
09-01-2009, 09:09 AM
It's at a friend's house right now. He is working on it. He rebuilt the carbs, etc. He used to own one, but can't seem to get this one going. I just want to take it to someone/shop that can get it going.