PDA

View Full Version : DSM Owners..please enlighten me...

AnthonyF
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey there. Alright since I was 15, always wanted a 95-99 Eclipse. I didn't know the differences back then but now my truck is for sale and I am wanting a GSX BADLY. My dream was to always get a GS-T convertible and convert it to a GSX. ANYWAYS....is there anything I should look out for? I know the Mitsu's are prone for "crank walk." Im not looking to push an amazing amount of power of it, looking for just a very beautiful DD and that I can have a little fun with. I've found out about the 6 and 7 bolt engines. What vehicles are each of them located in? I also hear a lot about an EVO engine and 16g turbo from the EVO. I'm a turbo noob (D1SC @ 18psi Procharger is what I am used to. :goodjob: )

Any and all insight would be fantastic. I don't want to hear "DSM's are shit" Move on, no1 gives a fuck if that's all you can come up with. I work at a shop, I can call ferrari's shit too if everyone abused the fuck out of them and watched them fall apart. A car is as good as the owners wants it to be.

I appreciate it guys.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
bump...or maybe I need to go to another section.

-Ant.

qwick
08-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Personaly I think DSM just get a bad name due to some of the tards that drive them, I drive my car daily around town plus to ATL once or twice a month and every once in a while go to the drag strip and I havent had any problem with the car, other than normal wear and tear from being driven daily.

Buying a DSM is no different than buying any other car. Look at all the normal thing you would as if it were any other car, drive it and listen/feel for anything that dosent seem normal.

Good luck.

PS:
its not convertible but im in the market to sell my GST if your interested.:D

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
^just like ford.

I'll keep you posted. Is it for sale on IA? I am MAINLY looking for a GSX b/c...well..FWD is no fun. lol. I gotta sell my truck first.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Any good DSM website forums with cars for sale also??

-Ant.

qwick
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
^just like ford.

I'll keep you posted. Is it for sale on IA? I am MAINLY looking for a GSX b/c...well..FWD is no fun. lol. I gotta sell my truck first.

-Ant.

Yea its for sale on here.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250999

qwick
08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Any good DSM website forums with cars for sale also??

-Ant.

http://www.team-2g.com/

1439/2000
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey there. Alright since I was 15, always wanted a 95-99 Eclipse. I didn't know the differences back then but now my truck is for sale and I am wanting a GSX BADLY. My dream was to always get a GS-T convertible and convert it to a GSX. ANYWAYS....is there anything I should look out for? I know the Mitsu's are prone for "crank walk." Im not looking to push an amazing amount of power of it, looking for just a very beautiful DD and that I can have a little fun with. I've found out about the 6 and 7 bolt engines. What vehicles are each of them located in? I also hear a lot about an EVO engine and 16g turbo from the EVO. I'm a turbo noob (D1SC @ 18psi Procharger is what I am used to. :goodjob: )

Any and all insight would be fantastic. I don't want to hear "DSM's are shit" Move on, no1 gives a fuck if that's all you can come up with. I work at a shop, I can call ferrari's shit too if everyone abused the fuck out of them and watched them fall apart. A car is as good as the owners wants it to be.

I appreciate it guys.

-Ant.

www.vfaq.com

search.

Mitsu's are not "prone" to crankwalk. Early 7 bolt cars (92.5-97) seemed to get it more with stiff clutches and weaker thrust bearings. The latter 2g's seemed to have the problem remedied. (Post 97)

www.roadraceengineeing.com has an explaination of crankwalk it you don't really know what it means.

1g's (90-92.5) and Galant VR-4s (91-92) have the factory turbo 6 bolt motors.

Here is what it is referencing:
https://www.nzad.co.nz/store/images/4g63%206bolt%20Vr4%20(Small).jpg

The 6 bolt holes on the flywheel that correspond with the holes on the crank.

Most 16g's you see on cars are from either JDM Galant VR-4's (small 16g's or big 16'g) Or the Evo III 16g which is slightly more effiecient.

Stock USDM 1g's come with 14b (13g for automatics which are even smaller) and then even worse than a 14b is the t25 that comes on the 2g's. A 16g upgrade kit with the feed lines would be a nice start for a 2g.

Another thing, Galant VR-4s are not DSM's. They were built in Japan and shipped over. DSM's 1g and 2g were made in Illinois. Don't make that mistake of calling them DSM's. :no:

Furthermore, these cars are usually done right and are fast as shit or they are owned by poor knuckle-dragging retards that fuck them up. I have been messing with these for years and have seen plenty of misinformation and dumb stereotypes about them. You have said some dumb shit in your time and in general your tech posts are pretty lackluster. Honestly if you got a DSM and did the same shit to it like you did your Mustang and talked like you used to, you'd get your ass handed to you. There are too many DSM people that have been in the game long enough to hear dumb posts from people that think they are just going to just "fit right in".

Making over 400 awhp and running 11's in a 19 year old car will break some stuff over time. So you can't get frustrated with them and I definitely wouldn't dd it unless you had to. I've always had a DD with my gvr4 and couldn't have it any other way.

Well, that's my two cents. Some of it might have not been what you wanted to hear but it was all truth.

1439/2000
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Also here is a history thread I made over 3 years ago:

LINK (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57298&highlight=history)

The pictures no longer work for most of them but the info still works.

Good luck.

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
^thank you so much for that. That helps out a lot. I very much appreciate it and will continue to do some research and I'm praying my truck sells asap. (just put for sale stickers on it today)

a 2g Eclipse has always been my one of my favorites. They look so sessi. I do love the VR4 Galants, I see one every now and then. Very nice car (when taken care of)

-Ant.

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Also here is a history thread I made over 3 years ago:

LINK (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57298&highlight=history)

The pictures no longer work for most of them but the info still works.

Good luck.

sweeeet. Thank ya sir! +33

-Ant.

1439/2000
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
^Also I see your truck when I visit my buddy Will (Ducati Monster/buell blast/random old bikes). I suppose you live over there. If you have any other questions regarding dsm's just post in here and I can help you out. Sleeping Talon is another good source on these cars that is on this site. He had 2 very fast drag cars both 1g (1 fwd and 1 awd).

ScrapMetalDSM
08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
1439 summed it up VERY well (reps). I'm a 1g person, so unless you get a 1g, I wont be able to help ya out to much lol.

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 04:16 PM
^Also I see your truck when I visit my buddy Will (Ducati Monster/buell blast/random old bikes). I suppose you live over there. If you have any other questions regarding dsm's just post in here and I can help you out. Sleeping Talon is another good source on these cars that is on this site. He had 2 very fast drag cars both 1g (1 fwd and 1 awd).

He Live in Alara? I've talked to him over GSB.com but never to his face. I do thank you and this isn't a phase, I REALLY want to get a 2g GSX (unless I hit the lottery of course. lol. Even then, I'll prob still want one. :D I found one I absolutely am in love with...sigh.. :'(

If I have any other questions, I know where to go to. I'd like to get one in my possesion 1st so I can see what I am learning.

-Ant.

1439/2000
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
He Live in Alara? I've talked to him over GSB.com but never to his face.

Yeah he has lived over there a few years now.

AnthonyF
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah...still havent met him. he says he has a bunch of bikes but i've never seen him or him ride out on any. I'll have to look for ya pulling in/out. if you see a guy walking a Blue pitbull, that would be me. :)

-Ant.

1439/2000
08-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah...still havent met him. he says he has a bunch of bikes but i've never seen him or him ride out on any. I'll have to look for ya pulling in/out. if you see a guy walking a Blue pitbull, that would be me. :)

-Ant.

He keeps the bikes put up. He drive a white trooper every day.

$9ktt
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
FINALLY someone on here that gets it !!!!! I've been preaching this for
years about DSM's !!! I'm copying and pasting your response for the
ENLIGHTENMENT of future DSMers !!!!

Reps to you....i think i can do that.

B

www.vfaq.com (http://www.vfaq.com)

search.

Mitsu's are not "prone" to crankwalk. Early 7 bolt cars (92.5-97) seemed to get it more with stiff clutches and weaker thrust bearings. The latter 2g's seemed to have the problem remedied. (Post 97)

www.roadraceengineeing.com (http://www.roadraceengineeing.com) has an explaination of crankwalk it you don't really know what it means.

1g's (90-92.5) and Galant VR-4s (91-92) have the factory turbo 6 bolt motors.

Here is what it is referencing:
https://www.nzad.co.nz/store/images/4g63%206bolt%20Vr4%20(Small).jpg

The 6 bolt holes on the flywheel that correspond with the holes on the crank.

Most 16g's you see on cars are from either JDM Galant VR-4's (small 16g's or big 16'g) Or the Evo III 16g which is slightly more effiecient.

Stock USDM 1g's come with 14b (13g for automatics which are even smaller) and then even worse than a 14b is the t25 that comes on the 2g's. A 16g upgrade kit with the feed lines would be a nice start for a 2g.

Another thing, Galant VR-4s are not DSM's. They were built in Japan and shipped over. DSM's 1g and 2g were made in Illinois. Don't make that mistake of calling them DSM's. :no:

Furthermore, these cars are usually done right and are fast as shit or they are owned by poor knuckle-dragging retards that fuck them up. I have been messing with these for years and have seen plenty of misinformation and dumb stereotypes about them. You have said some dumb shit in your time and in general your tech posts are pretty lackluster. Honestly if you got a DSM and did the same shit to it like you did your Mustang and talked like you used to, you'd get your ass handed to you. There are too many DSM people that have been in the game long enough to hear dumb posts from people that think they are just going to just "fit right in".

Making over 400 awhp and running 11's in a 19 year old car will break some stuff over time. So you can't get frustrated with them and I definitely wouldn't dd it unless you had to. I've always had a DD with my gvr4 and couldn't have it any other way.

Well, that's my two cents. Some of it might have not been what you wanted to hear but it was all truth.

1439/2000
11-18-2009, 07:02 AM
FINALLY someone on here that gets it !!!!! I've been preaching this for
years about DSM's !!! I'm copying and pasting your response for the
ENLIGHTENMENT of future DSMers !!!!

Reps to you....i think i can do that.

B

Thanks buddy.

88NaCivic
11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
6 BOLT LOVE !!!