PDA

View Full Version : Car started then died......

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
hey guys, got a problem, I started my car today, and it started then died. I tried to turn it back on, and I can tell it wants to, it sounds like it is about to turn over, but then doesnt. Ive been out of town so the car has been sitting since friday morning, but I started it right b4 I left and it was just fine! Anyone have any ideas? I do have a CEL light for the MAP/BORO, but ive taken it to Nissan and they said my ecu has a short in it. Ive been driving around with the light on for about a 1/1/2 months, and I just got another ecu on thursday, and am having it put n this week. My car has been running for this long with the ecu like this, it wouldnt stop it from running now would it? Besides I can def tell it wants to start, and almost does, but then nothing. Should I try to crank it longer? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.

Update: I took the car to Nissan on thursay and I just looked under the hood and noticed the MAP/BORO solenoid valve sensor was left unplugged by the guys at Nissan. Could that cause this?

EmminoDaGreat
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
If the Map sensor is unplugged the car will run horribly/hard start, and will throw a cel, What model nissan is it?

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Its a 96 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd. I just plugged it back in. Help me out my dude!

Barefoot
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
x2:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:
If the Map sensor is unplugged the car will run horribly/hard start, and will throw a cel, What model nissan is it?

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Also, idk if my engine is flooded with fuel or not, how can I tell? And if it is how do I dry it out?

browningboy7
08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Also, idk if my engine is flooded with fuel or not, how can I tell? And if it is how do I dry it out?

Based on this statement alone you should just wait until someone how knows what they are doing can look at the car. You are only going to make things worse for yourself. I'm all for learning how to work on your own shit but take babysteps. heh

jmmx258
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Pull the plugs and turn it over.

If it's not flooded

Have you tried to crank it since you've plugged the map sensor back in?

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Yea ive tried to crank since plugging it back in, but nothing. It still sounds like it wants to turn over, but not as much as when I first tried this morning. I also accidently pushed the gas while cranking it :doh:

browningboy7
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Yea ive tried to crank since plugging it back in, but nothing. It still sounds like it wants to turn over, but not as much as when I first tried this morning. I also accidently pushed the gas while cranking it :doh:

That doesn't matter anymore...lol

Barefoot
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Yea ive tried to crank since plugging it back in, but nothing. It still sounds like it wants to turn over, but not as much as when I first tried this morning. I also accidently pushed the gas while cranking it :doh:what are u missing fuel air spark compression. my guess is spark.

Atlblkz06
08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Make sure the fuel valve is on, choke it and start. Then after it starts let the choke out.

J/k. Check your sparkers and make sure you have fuel in the car (lol). Remember not to go too hard on your starter or you'll burn it out.

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
the gas tank is almost full, so I know I have gas in the car. If flooded my spark plugs will be wet right? If this is the case should I just clean them? And if what I searched is right, then there will be fuel in the plug tubes, so how do I get that out?

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 08:04 PM
what are u missing fuel air spark compression. my guess is spark.
Im not exactly sure, but im guessing spark. The car has plenty of fuel and its trying very hard to turn over

Atlblkz06
08-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Pull the spark plugs out and check them. Fuel evaporates fairly quickly so dont expect a
puddle.
As the others suggested, check the ignition coil. Maybe you're not getting a spark so the car isnt starting despite everything.

Shift_2WIN
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Ill have to check them out 2morrow to dark to do it now. Unfortunatley...........I dont have the tools to pull them at my house (usually go to my dads house to change plugs, oil, etc. and he lives in Kennesaw, im in Midtown). Does anyone have some, and be willing to stop by tomorrow to help me out :cry: ? If not ill just have to have it towed to a mechanic. Anyone know of a decent priced one not to far from downtown atl? And since it was Nissan who didnt plug the sensor back in, you think they will do this for free?

Shift_2WIN
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Its crazy, got my car towed to Nissan, and the tech got it to start, they have no idea wat happened..... Im lost too lol

hmong_Spec
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
wat was the prob.

Its crazy, got my car towed to Nissan, and the tech got it to start, they have no idea wat happened..... Im lost too lol

Shift_2WIN
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Well my ecu is on its way out, but they switched out sum of the pins and got it 2 work, but im still going to look 4 a new ecu. Idk y it didnt start, I already knew the ecu was acting up, ive been looking for a new 1 for bout a month, but the car has been fine, idk y it jus decided not to work now. They also said the previous owner fucked up some of the wiring...trying to mod it most likely, and had numerous vaccum hoses on backwards and shit UGH!!! They fixed all of the vacuum hoses, and the wiring. Does anyone know of some1 selling a ecu to a 96 or 97 Nissan Maxima 5spd? Let me know