PDA

View Full Version : questions on accord v6 motor

brittoknee
08-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I found a 98 accord ex v6 (2 door auto). I need a reliable commuter car but wanted to know yalls opinions on this engine. (I personally don't have any experience with hondas other than the h22/h23 motor) From my basic research the 4 cyl. sohc vtec engine that also comes in this model seems to be the most reliable and longest lasting. Ideally I'd like that one, but found a really good deal on a low mileage v6. Let me know your experience/input on this particular engine.

thanks in advance for the feedback.

CHADbee
08-23-2009, 04:44 PM
do not buy that car brittney!!! the 98-04 auto accords are the worst car honda ever made. those tranny's are straight up pieces of shit. do a quick google search and you will see what i mean.

Barefoot
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
do not buy that car brittney!!! the 98-04 auto accords are the worst car honda ever made. those tranny's are straight up pieces of shit. do a quick google search and you will see what i mean.yah they had a lot of unnecessary issues that honda needed to work out. by my count in alldata it had 13 recalls.

brittoknee
08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
so the manual trannys were better quality than the autos?

JITB
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
i believe the manuals are hard to find in v6 trim. if you are set on an accord, id go for a 4cyl auto/manual. A good friend of mine,owns a 01 v6 coupe automatic.. and shes on her 2nd tranny.. and is in a court battle with a shop b/c of that shitty transmission.

lxpaulxl
08-23-2009, 06:05 PM
98-02 Accord V6's never came in manual. The automatic transmission is like glass, it breaks way too easily. I used to have one and have gone through 2 transmissions within a year.

brittoknee
08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
preciate the feedback guys! Looks like I might hold out for a 4cyl

CHADbee
08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
so the manual trannys were better quality than the autos?
Buy a 94-97 with a manual trans..........................and a H22 already in the bay :D

CHADbee
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM
preciate the feedback guys! Looks like I might hold out for a 4cyl
Those have the same tranny problems. My aunt has a 00 4cyl coupe and she is on her 3rd transmission and she bought it with like 50k miles and is at about 150k now. That's about 1 tranny every 50 miles.

AnthonyF
08-24-2009, 08:41 AM
We have encountered MANY accords in this year range with zero tranny problems. If you take car of a car, the car will take care of you. Remember, most people hate a certain model of vehicle saying they are junk b/c they abused the hell out of them and couldn't hold up to it.

-Ant.

Turbodude06
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
^True, but I've looked up the auto V6's before on craigslist and autotrader. And I'd say 90% of them, either need a trans or have a new one.... The motors seem to be pretty good though...

David88vert
08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
How are the trannys in the 2007 Accord V6's? I have one, but never bothered to look up ther reliability of it. It's still under warranty right now.

Franco Tirador
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
We have encountered MANY accords in this year range with zero tranny problems. If you take car of a car, the car will take care of you. Remember, most people hate a certain model of vehicle saying they are junk b/c they abused the hell out of them and couldn't hold up to it.

-Ant.

i know a lot about accords and like them very much, im on my second one right now only because my cb7 93 accord got totalled, i have a 95 and i know they are good cars that's why my wife and i bought a 98 4 cylinder automatic. BIG mistake, the engine is freakin bullet proof, but the tranny is the total opposite, it was until after we bought the car that i did the research and warrainties on the trannies were extended and a buch of other crap that kept coming up, they are super sensative, they dont have an exterior trans filter so the best you can do is keep changing the fluid, but you know one day it will go out cause the filter eventually will get cloged up and the tranny will give out.

i dont know why, but it seems like honda switch provider or manufacturer or parts suppliers, but they did something on all their auto trannies from 98-02 cause i spoke to a shop that have specials all the time on rebuilding these transmission all the time because they get so many customers, they have 2-3 already rebuilt at a time cause they go fast, and they said that they have this problem with all 98-02 hondas, like oddessy, tl, rl,cl and accords, and it's worst with the v6, my wifes tranny has been slipping for the past two years and its getting worst, and hers is a four cylinder, i have heard of v6 models stop running all together. someone here a couple of years ago let one go for like dirt cheap cause the car was not drivable cause of the tranny.

i say get the car ONLY if you plan on doing the 6speed swap, like changaroo did, i think some people use a k series tranny or get a j series tranny from a cl type s, i think the engines 4 and 6 cylinders are pretty good

or if you get a 4 cylinder also go ahead and do the 5 speed swap, the parts are much cheaper, but i do love those 6th gen accords, they are big, nice and very confortable, i want one so i can put a obd2 h22 in it to have some kick with all that comfort:goodjob: