PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Are these baby snakes poisonous

TIGERJC
08-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Cutting the grass today, and saw these two guys laying on the walk way. They were already dead, just wondering if they're dangerous since I have a small dog.

eraser4g63
08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
One is a corn snake and i cant tell what the other one is, But neither appear to be judging by pictures alone.

Donati03gt
08-24-2009, 12:04 AM
anaconda bro

TIGERJC
08-24-2009, 12:05 AM
aight reps to you

Sammich
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
lol @ anaconda...look at my anaconda

no homo

TIGERJC
08-24-2009, 12:14 AM
lol @ anaconda...look at my anaconda

no homo
don't you belong in the WL

eraser4g63
08-24-2009, 12:17 AM

I see him sneak out occasionally.

Sammich
08-24-2009, 12:18 AM
lol sorry bro *leaves*

TIGERJC
08-24-2009, 12:24 AM
how did they kill each other and end up that far apart

Sammich
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
one look like they got their head cut....then the other look like they got they head bust open...just sayin from observation..ur riding lawn mower is quite vicious lol

Truegiant
08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Neither are poisonous. More than likely what happened is that you ran them over in the yard and they crawled to a spot where they can sun. Alot of snakes when they feel threatened try and find a warm place to "collect" there thoughts.. haha

Truegiant
08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
either that or the neighborhood kids were playing with them, killed them, and then left them there

quickdodgeŽ
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Lolol @ the truth. Later, QD.

ranger250x
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
niether are poisonous. I see those brown looking snakes around but cant figure out what they are. looked at lots of books and websites and still dont know. anyone know?

Slomaro Z28
08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I work in the power business, when we open underground transformers the brown snakes are everywhere. They aren't poisonous, think the guys at work call them ground snakes. There are gray ones also, look just alike.

06IX RS
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I think the brown one is juvenile red-bellied water snake. They're aggressive when they grow up but not poisonous.

chip P.
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
tht other one is an eastern kingsnake. and maybe your dog is a badass and took em out.

PD code 805D
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
niether are poisonous. I see those brown looking snakes around but cant figure out what they are. looked at lots of books and websites and still dont know. anyone know?

thats funny you call them brown snakes.... THATS THE NAME. these snakes are very often confused with copperheads for some reason. they are related to the garter snake.... check out NORTH AMERICAN AUDOBON SOCIETY BOOKS I GOT SEVERAL. when threatened they will be very aggresive... they arent quick to slither away.. i catch them all the time....

too bad on the corn snake though ( if thats what it is,,, i was thinking king snake...either way VERY RARE to see one.)

chip P.
08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
:goodjob: thts wht i said it was...kingsnake
thats funny you call them brown snakes.... THATS THE NAME. these snakes are very often confused with copperheads for some reason. they are related to the garter snake.... check out NORTH AMERICAN AUDOBON SOCIETY BOOKS I GOT SEVERAL. when threatened they will be very aggresive... they arent quick to slither away.. i catch them all the time....

too bad on the corn snake though ( if thats what it is,,, i was thinking king snake...either way VERY RARE to see one.)

speedminded
08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Need to see a closer look at the heads but neither are an eastern king snake, garter snake, or red-bellied water snake. The one with yellow markings could be a corn snake and the other is most likely a brown snake.

At least in the southeast, the shape of a snakes head instantly gives away if it's poisonous viper or not, some harmless snakes can flatten and spread their head when threatened to give the appearance of a viper though. Others shake their tail and make a noise pretending to be rattlesnakes lol! Copperheads have cat eyes and two tiny dots on top of their head...freakin heat sensors! I'm only saying this because juvenile copperheads are grey in color and often not recognized. They are also as dangerous if not more than adults because they can't control their venom.

*edit*
Oh yeah! If anyone plans on getting bit by an eastern coral snake you better do it fast. After October 2009 there will most likely not be any antivenom available. :doh:
http://www.ashp.org/import/news/HealthSystemPharmacyNews/newsarticle.aspx?id=2957

chip P.
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
im pretty close to positive that it iss an eastern. i worked at a nature center for 4 years. and i mostly worked with the snakes. we had 3 . but i could still be wrong..
and snakes are venomous..not poisonous

Julio
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Someone killed them and threw them there..

according to some unknown experts..

thats bad luck..

speedminded
08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
im pretty close to positive that it iss an eastern. i worked at a nature center for 4 years. and i mostly worked with the snakes. we had 3 . but i could still be wrong..
and snakes are venomous..not poisonousYou're probably right, the markings on the top don't appear to be linked to the markings on the belly...first indication to me it probably wasn't an Eastern Kingsnake. The stripes are also not very well defined, even for a juvenile...BUT I just learned the further south the species the larger the markings are and found a few pics where the top and bottom don't meet.

There was a 4 foot long near solid black kingsnake on my parents farm for over 10 years (life span of 25). One day i'd see it climbing a tree then then a month or two later it would be coiled up under a bail of hay with a couple chicken eggs in it. Let's not talk about how many copperheads I've killed lol!

Touche on the poisonous...I was responding to how the title was worded. Venom is harmless unless injected directly into the tissue or blood, poison is absorbed through the skin or digestive track. That's why you can drink venom and not die...as long as you don't have mouth sores or stomach ulcers lol!

chip P.
08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
yea those black ones are cool. mexican king snake if i remember correctly. we had one of them too. \one easter, one california and one mexican. and abt 10 random other species.
i was mentioning the venomous vs. poisonous just for everybody. but reps for making it clearer.

whenever im not busy drinking snake venom i rack up on the ulcers and sores to make up for lost time lol