PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak B16

Si_freak
08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
2000 honda civic si B16a2
The block has been machined by Automotive Precision in Forrest Park. Due to old block locking up. i have put all new parts in the block. The head was rebuilt by Dover and checked by Automotive Precision a 2nd time they put a straight edge on it to make sure it was good. Also the block has ITR pistons new with new rings.
We just put this in last night we have pulled up a website that had all torque specs and used them.
The Oil leak is coming from each corner of the head connecting to the block and its a pretty good leak ive lost about 2 quarts of oil in 15 miles. i found the problem and shut the car down.
Im not a mechanic but i know my fair share.
I have looked around on the net trying to find someone with the same problem but the ones ive found arent leaking in the same place.
Any help at all would be great. Thanks,
Pat

Barefoot
08-22-2009, 12:30 AM
sure u got them head bolt tq right.

Tech5
08-22-2009, 12:37 AM
check the torque again..If not must been a shitty gasket.. Or the Oiler plug is out of the block and missing.. I seen this before and cause the same problem..

Si_freak
08-22-2009, 09:26 AM
we done the honda torque specs at 65 foot pounds. i know to some this will be funny but oiler plug? i know theres 2 dowel pins that we had to go to the shop and get. is there another pin im missing? thank you guys for taking the time to read and help ill be checking the torque to make sure again.if someone needs my phone number tell me ill pm it to you. heres something else i found im using arp head studs arp is calling for 80 foot pounds on the head.

carbon_crash
08-22-2009, 09:52 AM
make sure your head gasket isn't on upside down. I've seen it happen and that would explain why you have oil shooting out like that

Barefoot
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
make sure your head gasket isn't on upside down. I've seen it happen and that would explain why you have oil shooting out like thatgood answer good answer

Formally...
08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
make sure your head gasket isn't on upside down. I've seen it happen and that would explain why you have oil shooting out like that

X2

Did you use an OEM Honda headgasket. If so you should be able to see a little silver tab that has numbers stamped in it sticking out just under the front left corner of the head. If it is not there look at the back right corner (timing belt side) and if you see it there then the gasket is backwards. B series are one of the only motors I have seen that is very easy to get the HG backwards.

Black4DrEK
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
^ yea check that gasket man!!

Si_freak
08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
i checked the oil in this morning to see the oil level and the oil level seems to be good. the leak isnt major like its shooting out more like dripping out slowly but none the less this is all new. also the head gasket is not OEM its engine tech bought it from the shop that did the machine work.

stevo_EF91
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
ttt

Barefoot
08-22-2009, 03:43 PM
tttdid u really just bump this.

Black4DrEK
08-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Are u sure its coming from the headgasket? Check cam seals?

Si_freak
08-22-2009, 05:28 PM
ok ive been at it all day lol and ive found that it is not coming from there its coming from around the cams so its prolly the cam seals like black4 said. good thing i didnt pull this head off lol. running into one other problem have a check engine light went and had it checked and its IAT sensor replaced the sensor and still have a check engine like saying the same thing. will this not let Vtec engage? i know some check lights wont allow it to engage.

Si_freak
08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
i think ive found the issue in the valve cover was some old RTV that and gotten rock hard and about the size of a BB. i removed it and reinstalled the gasket. the piece of RTV was right around where i found the oil leak. i also fixed the CeL a friend that was here helping me wired it all up eing he had done it before i trusted him and when i checked everything i found the Vtec plug was in the ECT slot i switched the two around and got rid of the light. thank you guys for all the help so far.

Si_freak
08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
ok i done the honda torque specs on ARP head studs 67 ft/lbs +/- 2.
i was reading ARP is calling for 80 ft/lbs of torque on the studs. i am leaking at the head gasket on both front corners. can anyone tell me the truth to this cause i dont know lol. go with honda or go with arp?

Barefoot
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
oem bolts go with honda. aftermarket arp ge or who ever follow there directions.

egibbs123
08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
did you torque them twice once at 20 then 65... in the same sequence? thought i would ask...

Si_freak
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
yea we torqued them in 3 20 45 then 67 i think is how we done it i know we done it in 3 tho.

Tech5
08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
you need to torque them to ARP specs

greasemunkey
08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
your the man josh, workin on it now. about 2 hours and we will have an update

greasemunkey
08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
re torqued the head seemed to fix most of the leaking. we still have a minor leak that is either from the head or between the vtec solenoid to the head, not sure really with the new oil in its hard to tell. and it was the oil pressure/ect that was switched up..don't know why the two sensors would be exactly the same and in the same area..damn honda engineering.