PDA

View Full Version : wrecked bikes?

deathrex
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
anyone know where i can get one for cheap? basically lookin for a laid out bike to turn into a racebike/street driveable possibly. if i could get one that dosent have a salvage title that would be amazing. Nothing with frame damage or needing new forks or anything big, minor repairs only, mainly bikes that have been laid on the side or dropped.:goodjob: id appreciate any leads will rep! lookin for 04 & up cbr's or gixxers only 1000's:bump: .

sina518
08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
there are a couple of sites that someone had posted in the past, but i cant remember the names, there is always coparts. but i think you need to have someone with a dealer license register.

deathrex
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
yeah ive been googling all day and on craigslist and ebay and cycle trader but havent really found anything. i mean i found a 06 gixxer that was laid out and needed alot of work but the guy still wanted 8k for a close to totaled bike. pretty sure he was smokin something to ask that price. it needed fairings forks front wheel new radiator. new gauges. a whole mess of things. +reps your way ill keep lookin arround.

97_c1vic
08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
They're out of town but you can try here.

http://www.crashedtoys.com/

deathrex
08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
reps to you sir! majority of them have salvage titles though :(

97_c1vic
08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
But they're hella cheap...

deathrex
08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
But they're hella cheap...

true extreamly cheap but im kinda lookin for something i can take out on the street to. i mean i dont need one to take out because i have my repsol but i think id rather build a bike that i can enjoy whenever i want to instead of just track days.

AnthonyF
08-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Google salvaged motorcycles. There are deals everywhere. I saw an 02 R1 that was laid down, not huge damage, for $1,400

-Ant.

deathrex
08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Google salvaged motorcycles. There are deals everywhere. I saw an 02 R1 that was laid down, not huge damage, for $1,400

-Ant.

+reps your way good sir:goodjob:

dazn
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
you can ride salvaged bikes on the street. you just have to go through the process of getting a rebuilt title for it. not a big deal, people do it all the time.
the salvage bikes are where the deals are had so dont count those out.
just make sure you read up on the rebuilt title process so you dont miss anything when you go get it inspected.

deathrex
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
you can ride salvaged bikes on the street. you just have to go through the process of getting a rebuilt title for it. not a big deal, people do it all the time.
just make sure you read up on the rebuilt title process so you dont miss anything when you go get it inspected.

yeah i know you can. the process is kinda a bitch. but id rather not have one with a rebuilt title. mainly because of resale value later on. who knows though it all depends on the kinda deal that im gunna be getting.

AnthonyF
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Speaking of that, but buddy bought a Ducati Monster, i dont remember the year, the generation before this one that is released, for like 2500 or something. Awesome looking buy but had a salvaged title. Whoopi.

To me, a salvaged title only really affects me with automobile purchases. I'll never buy a wrecked car.

-Ant.

Mitchell1789
08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I know you're mainly interested in liter bikes, but my sister has an 06 or 07 gixxer 600 that is in GREAT shape, but some kid 12 o'clocked it and took the tail off and bent the subframe... PM me if youre interested at all

deathrex
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
pm sent and reps your way sir

Tarzanman
09-06-2009, 06:50 AM
First off, you usually need a dealer license to get salvage/wrecked bike from auction... otherwise you'll have to buy them from dealerships/used sellers.

Second, you'd better be careful buying a wrecked bike. Don't do it unless you know what you're doing (which you probably don't, since you didn't know where to find said bikes). Cracked frames, bent frames (which are way more common), frames with crappy welds, rims that aren't round, seized engines, messed up clutches or transmissions etc...

These aren't cars. If your engine locks up (happened to someone I know), clutch cable breaks all of a sudden (happened to me) or wheel gets all wonky (happened to me on freakin 285) then what you do next has a direct effect on whether you coast to the side of the road safely on the bike, or something more dangerous happens.

Oh yeah.... all that stuff above? That all happened on otherwise perfectly functioning motorcycles. I would hate to have broken a clutch cable on a bike that slips gears; gotten a rear flat tire on a bike with a bent swing-arm, or locked the engine on ANY bike (broken or otherwise).

I'm not saying that a salvage bike can't be fixed (done it myself), but make sure you know what you're getting into and diligently make sure the bike gets fully inspected.

Friend of mine bought a used bike about 1.5 years ago and the seller neglected to mention TWO CRACKS IN THE FRAME. That we didn't find till after he'd bought it and brought it home (they were well) hidden by the fairings which is why he didn't see them earlier