PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Looking to Purchase 1st SLR Camera

KevinT707
08-20-2009, 09:52 PM
So my GF wants to purchase her 1st SLR camera for a photography class and neither of us know much about which brand & models are good so I am hoping to get some useful opinions. So far I only know that she seems to like the Sony A330L camera for whatever reason. Used or New is OK and price range is $400-650 for camera by itself, if an extra lens is included then up to $800 is ok.

Replies will be repped +1 ! :goodjob:
Thank You & Have a Nice Day

boostedb16
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
i have a couple of nice NIKON bodies w/grip's in the for sale section. check the out and let me know. maybe she will like the nikon better.

CHADbee
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
sony makes decent cameras but the lens are harder to come by at good deals. she really needs to stick with nikon or canon. in that price range my personal opinion the best bang for buck would be the nikon D90(same camera i have) or canon 40D

Blaze_Cunnings
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I personally like the Nikon D40x especially if youre not going to go crazy with photography

Tarzanman
08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
First: I would choose a budget. I only know Canon, so that is what I will talk about

$800 could get you a modern, used Canon Rebel XSi with 2-3 lenses OR 1 lens and a flash

If it is just for a class, then I would definitely buy used and shoot for a Rebel XTi or Rebel XSi. She will definitely want at least one prime lens (50mm f/1.8 is the best deal) and one zoom lens (18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6). The Rebels have a built in pop-up flash which you can use if you can't foot the bill for a heavy duty external flash.

MrGurley
08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
sony makes decent cameras but the lens are harder to come by at good deals. she really needs to stick with nikon or canon. in that price range my personal opinion the best bang for buck would be the nikon D90(same camera i have) or canon 40D

i agree!! my D90 is one of the better investments ive made!! its a great camera pretty easy to learn how to use and takes good video

00CelicaGT
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
kevin get her a Nikon D40 or D60, if u and here are new to photography theres no reason to go and purchase a D90. she doesnt even know where to start, personally i feel the D40 with the kit lens is a great camera for a beginer. ive had my D40 a little over a year and still havent mastered all its functions. a D90 has a bunch of functions and i believe it does video aswell (not sure on the video though)

u can find a D40 or D60 all day on craigs list in ur price range.