PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods basic turbo engine build info needed.

THEONE
08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
i need to know a good camshaft kit one that will come with springs or atleast a reference to the correct springs for high boost. and should i replace my valves?should i do a basic rebuild on the head or get nasty with porting and bigger valves.im use to good old american iron so i gotta ask some of this is a little new..some of it
and what it the best reccomended head gasket for a d16y8
and how much hp will the stock igniton support and will i really need a msd box.
and also if i get me crank turned will it weaken the crank to where i should not run it with high boost the bottom end will be made up of eagle rods and im debating between vitara or higher dollar piston most likely vitaras and arp head studs rod bolts and so on.
1 more question i need to know the best rod and main bearing kit i can buy best quality.
if anyone as any ideas on the questions i have asked let me know and be serious. thanks

i lied one more question is there a such thing as a high performance oil pump and water pump for the d16y8?

and i have no idea at the moment of my hp goals or turbo size that is up in the air im am lookin to build a solid motor that can take a good bit of boost with ***stock cylinders**

Vteckidd
08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
on the SOHC my experience is simplest is the best.

Id look at CP Piston and Eagle rods, cheap, affordable, can handle 500whp (youll never make that)

Stock timing belt and water bump is fine. No need to upgrade just make sure its OEM and new.

Stock Oil Pump

ACL Bearings

Stock headgasket or even a cometic is fine. just use ARP headstuds

Camshaft wise, honestly, IMO, they are all junk. Ive seen multiple people make more power on stock cams than aftermarket. Keep the stock cam but id get like Skunk2 Springs and Retains so you can rev a little higher.

Sleeves are usually good to 300-350whp, as long as its tuned right. Maybe a blockguard is a good idea. anything past that i would sleeve it, but at that point you might as well go B Series.

Stock ignition will support 400-500whp, just get 2 step colder plugs correctly gapped and NGK Wires are the best.

Leave the crank alone, just balance it

Vteckidd
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Oh hit up Mainstream Performance 678-567-9384 they have a SOHC Turbo Built motor and turbo kit they are selling. Might get a good deal on all the stuff. Its assembled and ready to go. IIRC it made around 320whp

THEONE
08-20-2009, 08:27 PM
on the SOHC my experience is simplest is the best.

Id look at CP Piston and Eagle rods, cheap, affordable, can handle 500whp (youll never make that)

Stock timing belt and water bump is fine. No need to upgrade just make sure its OEM and new.

Stock Oil Pump

ACL Bearings

Stock headgasket or even a cometic is fine. just use ARP headstuds

Camshaft wise, honestly, IMO, they are all junk. Ive seen multiple people make more power on stock cams than aftermarket. Keep the stock cam but id get like Skunk2 Springs and Retains so you can rev a little higher.

Sleeves are usually good to 300-350whp, as long as its tuned right. Maybe a blockguard is a good idea. anything past that i would sleeve it, but at that point you might as well go B Series.

Stock ignition will support 400-500whp, just get 2 step colder plugs correctly gapped and NGK Wires are the best.

Leave the crank alone, just balance it

so leave out the cam swap i was woundering about that but springs i will do for sure what is your advice on the head should i spend extra for porting or let it be?on a 350 porting heads makes for big power when you add other things like cam good carb and tune but i dont know if its worth doing on this particular motor,and on the crank i might have to get it turned cause the block im building has a rod knock.and yeah 500hp is way more that i ever would attempt it would prob scatter the motor but i have read of some guys with sohc motor in the 450whp range with vitiara pistons and stock sleeves running 25-30 psi lol thats nuts.

so basically the stock ignition,oil pump and water pump will work for me nd what im doin.i really just want a strong motor that can take what im gonna give it and stay together for a long time basically over build it :D

and yeah im gonna stick with the d16 i like those little motors, and i wanna do it all myself except the tune im gonna use scotty again for that
i will have a ton of trans and suspension questions after i finish the motor hopefully with in the next 3 months with a little luck ;)

joshk5145
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
i'm doin the same research and from what i've gathered getting the head ported is pointless until close to 300. if i remember correctly valve job is what i have found to be strongly advised. (correct me if i'm wrong)

THEONE
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
i'm doin the same research and from what i've gathered getting the head ported is pointless until close to 300. if i remember correctly valve job is what i have found to be strongly advised. (correct me if i'm wrong)
oh yeah thats good to know where did you find that info?and yeah if i dont break the 300hp mark with what im workin on im gonna be pissed lol
i still think its odd that by improving the flow of the head and using larger valves it would be a waste it seems like it would allow me to be a bit more aggresive with the boost and tune to get more out of the motor. what turbo are you think of running?

dallasb84
08-24-2009, 12:01 AM
i have two buddys in va that have been boosted for years on ebay kits with stock internals. they used a hondata and chrome for tuning.

the d series are strong for sure.

im using acl bearings for my build.

ebay has a large amount of re-ring kits, gasket sets, and parts for super prices.

so far ive ordered. water pump and t belt kit, bearings, oil pump, full engine gasket set, ect and have spent 250 bux. parts came in and look very nice.

i was skeptical about the intake gasket since ive been a advocate of oem ones but..... its identical. and the whole gasket set cost just about what the oem one does.

Drummerboy
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Im boosting an F22 right now. have been for the passed year or so. I'm learning as i go as well.
I've found with the right tune, a SOHC can hang with anything out there within reason.

Check out Bisimoto. they have the worlds fastest SOHC (an f22, btw) and they make SOHC parts, and its quality stuff.

Im ordering their Cam/valves/springs before the end of the year. Still debating on resleeving and building the bottom end.
we have the same mindset, over build so you dont have to worry about anything down the road. Keep us updated!

THEONE
08-24-2009, 08:25 AM
will do man, i just need a good rebuildable block right now i thought i had one but i think its trash the more it look at it i posted pics in general tech section. help me find a good block !!!! has to be a sohc that i can use my y8 head on :D

punkr6
08-24-2009, 06:55 PM
D is the new B, just saying...

CaTcH22
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
D is the new B, just saying... :goodjob:

joshk5145
08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
i've got a d16y7 block has been rehoned in good condition. it is bare. pm me if your interested

THEONE
08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
D is the new B, just saying...

i prefer the d over the b .i had a ls vtec before and b18 but i love the sohc d's and dohc zc's dont know why i just do. i dont care if it will cost more im stickin with a d16

-S Double C-
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
oh yeah thats good to know where did you find that info?and yeah if i dont break the 300hp mark with what im workin on im gonna be pissed lol
i still think its odd that by improving the flow of the head and using larger valves it would be a waste it seems like it would allow me to be a bit more aggresive with the boost and tune to get more out of the motor. what turbo are you think of running?

i made 360whp and 280trq on 21lbs pump gas with vitara's/fjt rods and a bone stock head

THEONE
08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
i made 360whp and 280trq on 21lbs pump gas with vitara's/fjt rods and a bone stock head

awesome numbers how long has it held up for ya?

-S Double C-
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
held up for 9 months then it saw a 34lb spike on pump gas with the new turbo while running some bikes and knocked a chunk out of the sleeve if i had never let it go over 21 lbs no doubt in my mind it would be running perfectly fine today. I beat on it nearly everday for 9 months

THEONE
08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
held up for 9 months then it saw a 34lb spike on pump gas with the new turbo while running some bikes and knocked a chunk out of the sleeve if i had never let it go over 21 lbs no doubt in my mind it would be running perfectly fine today. I beat on it nearly everday for 9 months

oh damn i think you could have gone past 21psi if it were tuned but how in the heck did you end up with a spike in boost like that,thats like 13psi more. i have seen some write ups a of people using vitaras,eagle rods and arp stuff. running 25-35psi and running this on stock sleeves with a block guard and head work . google it there are write ups on it going back to 07 i think 1 guy in puerto rico claims he was the first to use vitaras in his sohc.

THEONE
08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
checkout this video these guys are nuts they also have a 608whp run they claim its a vitara stock sleeve d16 record with a ported y8 head and a pretty big turbo without a block guard they were at 440 i think and now like 551whp . check it out its crazy way to much power for me lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk61nozNgW4&feature=related

-S Double C-
08-26-2009, 08:07 PM
checkout this video these guys are nuts they also have a 608whp run they claim its a vitara stock sleeve d16 record with a ported y8 head and a pretty big turbo without a block guard they were at 440 i think and now like 551whp . check it out its crazy way to much power for me lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk61nozNgW4&feature=related

i was planing on building the head and going 28lbs and c16 till that happen and im sure with good tuning it would have held over 21lbs go autoworks has had a stock d15b tuned on 24lbs for over a year and it just now finally let go. and speedfactory 600+whp hatch split sleeve number 3 after making over 30 track passes high 9's

THEONE
08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
i was planing on building the head and going 28lbs and c16 till that happen and im sure with good tuning it would have held over 21lbs go autoworks has had a stock d15b tuned on 24lbs for over a year and it just now finally let go. and speedfactory 600+whp hatch split sleeve number 3 after making over 30 track passes high 9's

wow but now im convinced a stock sleeved d16 can handle 400whp but 600whp is just nuts. makes me feel pretty confident that my build will hold together pretty well since i wont be near those numbers.

THEONE
08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
has anyone heard of ETD rods i saw them on ebay they say they support 600hp are these tuner toy rods?they are made of the same material as eagle rods are they any good? they are 225.00 with shipping .

B3AST
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
all you really need is arp headstuds, vitara pistons, eagle rods, a decent turbo kit and a good tune and you can get 250 whp maybe close to 300 and the sleeves and cams are good for 400+ whp. port and polishing really isnt necessary unless your going for alot of power but it will help you get to your goal alil easier. you should head over to d-series.org, great site with alot of info

this is a good build http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/114315-d16z6-budget-build.html

B3AST
09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
has anyone heard of ETD rods i saw them on ebay they say they support 600hp are these tuner toy rods?they are made of the same material as eagle rods are they any good? they are 225.00 with shipping .

never heard of them, but isnt the arp and eagle rods combo only like 300 on ebay?

bigbadjohn07
09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
what all do i need to replace my stock y7 head with a y8 head? Im also looking to build my motor i wanna see how much i can get out of this thing and i heard that i would need to put a y8 head on it cause later i wanna turbo it

scttydb411
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I personlly like the y7...I make 255whp stock internals and head. the y8 manifold makes a diff but the head not so much.

punkr6
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I personlly like the y7...I make 255whp stock internals and head. the y8 manifold makes a diff but the head not so much.

what turbo and at what lbs. of boost ?

THEONE
09-11-2009, 10:57 PM

255whp! its all in tha tune lol nice !

bigbadjohn07
09-12-2009, 01:06 AM
so i can just put a y8 intake mani on my y7 and still get good numbers..sorry if i sound dumb this is my first build lol

punkr6
09-12-2009, 02:38 AM
YES......

scttydb411
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
what turbo and at what lbs. of boost ?

gt25r @ 14psi

it's seen a few trips to 17.5psi, but it was on the street so i don't have any dyno numbers @ that psi. i'm assuming around 275-280ish, but have nothing to confirm it.

ueyedgr8tness
09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
d series=heaven on earth:)

JJSPEC Racing
09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
50 Trim + Eagle Rods/ SRP Pistons + DC2 Integra = 11.6 in the 1/4

00CiViC00
09-13-2009, 08:07 PM
My y8 with a 14b makes 183hp , 160tq At 10psi but my motor was weak ,I should have made more ( says Scotty who tuned it )

THEONE
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
anyone on here know anyone running a bisimoto nonvtec turbo cam? if so, any good?im thinkin about it along with thier springs and retainers and cam gear.

punkr6
09-14-2009, 05:26 AM
anyone on here know anyone running a bisimoto nonvtec turbo cam? if so, any good?im thinkin about it along with thier springs and retainers and cam gear.

you can make over 300 with the stock cam...

00CiViC00
09-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Don't get a cam , the only thing u might need are springs and retainers

THEONE
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
is this a good machine quote?

clean block 40.00

bore block (.020) 95.00

rework head including valve job resurface and inspect for cracks 135.00

im waiting on my freakin stupid pistons to come cause they need them to do the bore damn stupid slow mail haha.

and yeah im stuck on doin the cam swap i really think i should hehehe

pebojelly
09-18-2009, 02:55 PM
The cam is a waste of money and will be 100 times harder to tune,but if you feel you must,please come back and explain how much you wish you saved the money and listened.

Your not building an all out race motor and even if you where a girdle or sleeves would be way better investment then a cam.

THEONE
09-18-2009, 08:52 PM
look at these beauties!! i waited a while for these these are vitaras ....but they are not ycp these are nippon and made in japan

they are suppose to be tha best and have an extra oil port where the rod attaches and they came with matching rings. now i get to drop my block off at the machine shop and let the games begin!! and i am awaiting the arrival of my rods too haha damn mail.

punkr6
09-19-2009, 06:17 AM
is this a good machine quote?

clean block 40.00

bore block (.020) 95.00

rework head including valve job resurface and inspect for cracks 135.00

im waiting on my freakin stupid pistons to come cause they need them to do the bore damn stupid slow mail haha.

and yeah im stuck on doin the cam swap i really think i should hehehe

those prices seem pretty cheap, where is this from ?

scttydb411
09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
The cam is a waste of money and will be 100 times harder to tune

it's not really any harder to tune, but i haven't been too impressed w/ many d-series aftermarket cams.

i've tuned a few w/ the bisi cam and that's the one i'd lean toward or the skunk2, however i've seen one of each break. if you go non-vtec the only real option is the bisi.

the one car that broke the bisi cam actually had a better powerband after putting in the stock cam.

THEONE
09-19-2009, 08:31 AM
those prices seem pretty cheap, where is this from ?

Ewing auto machine snellville.