PDA

View Full Version : Electrical engineers step inside

X-Runner
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I need some wiring help. I have an electric motor that is a standard red and black 2 wire motor. I have a switch that will make the motor run forward or reverse with 3 wires, one green, blue and black. The green closes the circuit with the black one way and the blue the other way.

Now, I need to build a control unit using relays (I think 2 should do it) to make this motor and switch work. Its been a while and I'm having a hard time, any help?

green91
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
As long as its DC this is very easily accomplished with 2 relays. The biggest thing here is the relays will need to have both 87 & 87a poles. 87a being normally connected and 87 being connected when 85 & 86 are energized. Majority of 12v relays are only 4 pole.

EDIT: Here i used to do this exact same setup to reverse polarity to power door lock actuators. Heres a diagram

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/actuatorrevpol.gif

Substitute your switch to ground for the alarm lock/unlock outputs in this diagram, and the actuators output as your motor.

X-Runner
08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you. I figured this out about 20 minutes ago but it would only run one way, one of the prongs on my relays was broken off. About to replace it and try again.