PDA

View Full Version : B20 civic is hesitating

B3AST
08-19-2009, 04:20 PM
UPDATE! alright i got the hestitation and misfire problem fixed but since i replaced the o2 sensor its been throwing p0170, p0420 and p0171, it has a gutted cat so thats why its throwing the p0420 but idk why its throwing the p0170 or why its running lean. i was thinkin a vacuum leak or cuz of the ecu which is a p75. any ideas where i should start?:thinking:

Hey guys, i traded my ek for a b20 swapped civic. I was told by him that the cel was only on for o2 sensors but when i got back it also miss firing in cylinder one too. it still drove and pulled hard till about a week ago, now sometimes its starting to hestitate like i put on the gas it wont do anything until im like past half throttle and its feeling really sluggish now even when its not doing that. Im thinking its not getting spark or the timing is screwed up or something i really dont know...whats yalls take on it?

edit: i was also reading something about the motor being on a closed circuit or something under 4k and it uses the upstream(or downstream which ever one is before the cat lol) o2 to get the correct air/fuel ratio, so i got another one of those but havent installed it, but if this is the problem wouldnt it being doing it all the time and not just ever once in awhile?

Barefoot
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
is this jons old coupe

99jdmLs
08-19-2009, 06:56 PM
check your spark plugs and wires.....to start.

CaTcH22
08-19-2009, 07:47 PM
check your spark plugs and wires.....to start.
x2 sounds like a fouling out plug or bad wire.

B3AST
08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
is this jons old coupe

asain kid? green coupe? then yes it.

B3AST
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
x2 sounds like a fouling out plug or bad wire.

i changed the spark plugs, gapped them to .044 the wires looked fine but ill pick up some of those today and see if that works

Barefoot
08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
asain kid? green coupe? then yes it.yup

SlamminCRX
08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
yea thats jons old coupe, you know wat it could be barefoot?

B3AST
08-20-2009, 05:14 PM
yea thats jons old coupe, you know wat it could be barefoot?

i called you and told you he said put a timing light on it, im about to go pick one up now

Barefoot
08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
yea thats jons old coupe, you know wat it could be barefoot?yah i just sent him my opinion in a pm

eghonda88
08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
well if you have a dead cylinder...and one is damaged i would do a leak down test before checking the time. Just to make sure no bent valves or head gasket gone

B3AST
08-20-2009, 07:25 PM
well if you have a dead cylinder...and one is damaged i would do a leak down test before checking the time. Just to make sure no bent valves or head gasket gone

i dont think its a headgasket, theres no smoke or coolant in the oil, it could be something wrong with the valves, if so its time to go b20/vtec lol

B3AST
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
alright, i just did a compression test, i got cyl1 200 cyl2 204 cyl 3 201 cyl4 204, double checked the gapping on the sparkplugs that was good, replaced the wires, the only thing i can think of it being now is the dizzy or the injector for the misfire

Barefoot
08-22-2009, 03:41 PM
alright, i just did a compression test, i got cyl1 200 cyl2 204 cyl 3 201 cyl4 204, double checked the gapping on the sparkplugs that was good, replaced the wires, the only thing i can think of it being now is the dizzy or the injector for the misfireim going to push for injector swap it with cyl 2 and see what happens.

B3AST
08-23-2009, 12:29 AM
im going to push for injector swap it with cyl 2 and see what happens.

yea i was going to do that tomorrow, go get it scanned and if it wasnt that i wasnt going to move the coil to cyl 2 and see if that is it

j0nbunklah0m
08-23-2009, 12:55 AM
its the timing. trust me

seanrg1116
08-23-2009, 12:55 AM
injectors....maybe

Barefoot
08-23-2009, 01:16 AM
its the timing. trust metiming wouldnt make it skip out of the blue on just 1 cylinder. the more i think about this more i think we was going in the complete wrong direction.

B3AST
08-23-2009, 03:14 PM
its the timing. trust me

cant put a timing light on it when its misfiring, but no worries i swapped the cyl1 injector to cyl2 went to get it scanned and the misfire was gone, i thought that was weird. i guess i unclogged it or something when i took it out idk? then i went for the o2 sensor for the hestitation problem, replaced the dummy one that the previous owner put in and it runs great and now i can do my timing, thanks barefoot and everyone else, now its time to tackle the tranny leak :goodjob:

ebkmike
08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
trade back the car and problem solve.

Barefoot
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
cant put a timing light on it when its misfiring, but no worries i swapped the cyl1 injector to cyl2 went to get it scanned and the misfire was gone, i thought that was weird. i guess i unclogged it or something when i took it out idk? then i went for the o2 sensor for the hestitation problem, replaced the dummy one that the previous owner put in and it runs great and now i can do my timing, thanks barefoot and everyone else, now its time to tackle the tranny leak :goodjob:happy to it works

B3AST
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
bump before class

Barefoot
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
bump before classim lost

B3AST
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
im lost

i updated my orginal post, check it out

j0natell0
08-26-2009, 11:31 PM
not the ecu.

p0170

Fuel trim malfunction (bank 1)

P0420

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
What does that mean?

The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light
if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
* The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 code include:

* Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
* Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
* Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
* Replace the catalytic converter

P0171
system Too Lean (Bank 1)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor
in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

Causes

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible solutions include:

* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

good luck. and

btw ship my garage opener

B3AST
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
um correct me if im wrong but only newer hondas run maf sensors, most, like mine, run MAP/IAT, which have been cleaned thats why i was leaning towards vacuum leak but i checked and have none and its throwing the p0420 cuz you gutted the cat.

btw i did ship it

Barefoot
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
cuz you gutted the cat.

btw i did ship iti told him it was a bad idea. they said they thought it was clogged. the thread is in here some place.

B3AST
08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
yea im just gonna get me a new cat, hey btw im trying to do the timing but i dont see a pointer or markerings on the pully. am i just blind, stupid or what? lol i just cant find them

B3AST
08-29-2009, 09:14 PM
damn it...now im throwing p1457 and p0505 this car is a pos lol owell