PDA

View Full Version : have a NEWB question

firstgensir
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
so i have been using the D40 for a couple months and i love it.just have a couple questions.whats the key to dark photos like lightning and night photos.i tried tonight but the pictures dont take or they take way too slow.im just using the kit lens right now cause i dont kno what to get next.just some tips if ya got any

Mr. Clean
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
there are a couple of things...

if you're trying to shoot a still car at night then set up your tripod and set your shutter speed really slow... like 5-10 seconds if need be.

OR you can turn up your ISO, but that will make your pictures really grainy

OR you can just get new equipment. the key to your situation right now is just a tripod and not a lot of movement. there's no way around it with what you've got.

firstgensir
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
but what im thinking is i need a different lens.just not sure what would be my best option

Mr. Clean
08-19-2009, 06:54 AM
the lower the f/# the more light it will let in, in a smaller amt of time. but they also get a WHOLE lot more expensive. you probably have a 3.5-5.6 or a 4.5-5.6 right now which will work for now. i mean you're still not going to get excellent night shots w/o a tripod even with hella expensive lenses.

firstgensir
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
kool thanks for the tip. what about photo editing.i have this awsome pic i want like a black and white but with some items colored.its that in a photoshop program or just one pic overlayed over another

AE86Raptor
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM
That would be both since you can use layers in Photoshop.

firstgensir
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM
but your not just using photoshop that comes on the computer.

Mr. Clean
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
kool thanks for the tip. what about photo editing.i have this awsome pic i want like a black and white but with some items colored.its that in a photoshop program or just one pic overlayed over another

there's a million different ways to do it. just post the pic.

Tarzanman
08-19-2009, 09:52 PM
so i have been using the D40 for a couple months and i love it.just have a couple questions.whats the key to dark photos like lightning and night photos.i tried tonight but the pictures dont take or they take way too slow.im just using the kit lens right now cause i dont kno what to get next.just some tips if ya got any

Unless you are into spending multiple $1,000's of dollars on fast lenses (f/1.4's or faster), even a relatively 'fast' prime like an f/1.8 wont' give you great results if it is really dark and you can't deal with the slow shutter speed.

Mr. Clean is giving you good info. Most good night shots involve using a tripod.