PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Not a Striper but bigger

Paree4g63
08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
On 8/17/09 straight after work, I headed off to this remote island that is still Lake Lanier. Me and my cousins Uncle wanted to try out night fishing since it's too dam hott to fish nowadays since it ain't April nor May anymore. Our goal was to catch some trophy stripers/bass that night as our goals were of that only. We were getting bites left to right but they were all misses everytime we tried to reel them in. We were assuming *alligator gar* were the ones messing with our baits that whole night. Finally, around 9pm while I was trying to fix my other fishing pole and just when I was about to throw out my bait into the lake, I heard something fall and when I looked, my pole holder was out the ground and my fishing pole was laying right on the water about to be pulled into the deep! Luckily, I grabbed it, set the hook to feel what it could've been. For the first few minutes fighting it and letting it drag my line I thought it was a big size striper/hybrid during the fight. I saw a glimpse of its body as it came to the surface and the body was pretty long. After seeing its body for the first time, I thought it was a striper because of what I had seen. After all the drag reels and adrenaline.. This is what I got!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_6c35dedd39f440db9f05ebcd33b0b7d6.jpg
Those shoes are a size 10 each; I think it weighed about 15-20lbs.

It took me awhile to get the hook out because of its dangerous mouth; had to kill it. Don't know if this Gar is good to eat but I brought it home anyway. My cousins uncle also caught one around 10ish but it broke the line when he was trying to bring it to shore. After that second Gar came, we decided to go home knowing there weren't any bass nor stripers anymore. Live blueback herring was what we used and these Gar's were tearing them up from us that night!

Look at what I had to deal with trying to tie a rope around this trap!
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_8c37426827aa4965b06d4c0a1dc1ee89.jpg

If anyone know's any hotspots that are biting right now, please let me know or else I'mma quit until next april/may. :D

eraser4g63
08-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Those things are mean as fuck, actually had a swimer bit by one the other day.

YoTa_BoX
08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Fun way to catch those is to get a white cotton rope, upbraid all the fibers except one end, tie the line to the still braided side and troll with it. Their teeth get caught up in the fibers when they try to eat it.

There are some huge ones in Lanier!! Back when i was younger my family had a 2 story dock and we would jump off of it all the time, well lol it was my turn to jump and as soon as i left the dock i looked down, and there right under me was one of those bastards about 4 feet long. I landed right on top of it, I dont think iv ever come out of water faster on my life. I swear for a moment i had Jesus feet.

Danny
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Those things are mean as fuck, actually had a swimer bit by one the other day.

That wasnt what all the commotion was about on Allatoona this past weekend, was it?

But man that gar looks mean, what kind of damage can those do to a human?

DamnDisLaOsBoY
08-19-2009, 10:58 AM
those Gars are dangerous they can eat up ur hand. we caught one at lanier the other night but cut the line so we dont have to deal with it.

dorin48
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Good grief! All the ones I've ever caught were around a foot long and scrawny... but that was in the gulf.

khaxnguyen
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
i want one for my tank! lol
reps =P

Elbow
08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Damn, I didn't know anything mean lived in lakes lol.

The Ninja
08-22-2009, 09:55 PM
^^ Besides crocs/gators, me neither lol.