PDA

View Full Version : STI ?s

ruah_23
03-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok I'm planning to get either STI/EVO.
As far as reliability wise, which is better since this is gonna be my daily drive?
How abt the handling?

I also would like to know, what's the engine compression for the sti??

TRAY_STi
03-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Let the saga continue....

Really how far you want to go with it?
Stock vs Stock both are great cars. My girlfriend owns one. If you plan to drag race the evo 8 is a better option because the stock turbo doesn't have to be replaced Unless you want to go sickly fast. But, you will have to spend money on a aftermarket clutch. The STi is a great option too. But if you plan on drag racing realize you probably won't get more then 310hp 330tq out of the stock turbo. That is the negative side about the STi is you will have to change your turbo to go faster. Oh and parts are more expensive, and less stuff out for it. But its getting there.

Honestly you should drive both. Then decide.

WRX_STi
03-26-2005, 09:04 AM
You forgot to mention the Sti guys are way cooler lol ;)

ruah_23
03-26-2005, 10:36 AM

Stock vs Stock both are great cars. My girlfriend owns one. If you plan to drag race the evo 8 is a better option because the stock turbo doesn't have to be replaced Unless you want to go sickly fast. But, you will have to spend money on a aftermarket clutch. The STi is a great option too. But if you plan on drag racing realize you probably won't get more then 310hp 330tq out of the stock turbo. That is the negative side about the STi is you will have to change your turbo to go faster. Oh and parts are more expensive, and less stuff out for it. But its getting there.

Honestly you should drive both. Then decide.

Which dealership u go to?
And how much u paid for urs including everything?

Kevykev
03-26-2005, 11:23 AM

well, he wants it as his daily, seems like there are no plans for any big upgrades.

I personally would get the STi. I'm not a speed freak like most so i personally wouldn't do too many upgrades. The EVO has a higher After-market support but since i wouldn't be doing the extensive modding, i'd go with the Sooooby.

Plus in Honor of my buddy Mark Lovell I must get a Subie :bigok:

Dragonfly5338
03-26-2005, 02:57 PM
It really all depends on what you want. Tray is right, you need to go and drive both cars extensively before choosing. The EVO drives, rides and handles like a race car. The STi is more civilized for daily driving, but you lose a bit of that rawness that the evo has. The interior is nicer than the evo's, too. With both cars road noise is insane, hehe. But the evo has quicker steering and a ton of driver feedback, which is nice.

Just comes down to which one suits you better, man. Go drive 'em. :)

Tray got his in a dealer in CT for just about 30k even.

TRAY_STi
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey man shop at Troncalli Subaru in Cumming GA. I work there. I got 3 of my buddies hook ups on cars. All at invoice or under.

namahs
03-26-2005, 06:58 PM
the evo is hands down more reliable than the sti. be realistic, how long are you really going to keep it stock. with minor upgrades you can make 350 to the ground in the evo and it is still very reliable. as far as handling, the evo is setting track records all over the country right now, that speeks for itself. go drive both of them and compare the feel. the sti feels much larger than the evo but the body roll is deceiving, it still handles very well.

ruah_23
03-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks all.I'll test drive the evo tom and the sti prolly on monday at tray's workplace. Tray do u think I could get the deal of 30k OTD price?:rolleyes:

auxiliary
03-27-2005, 09:44 AM
You forgot to mention the Sti guys are way cooler lol ;)

subaru people are losers. Going to a subaru meet is like going to watch a bunch of people play D&D.

....and evo drivers are all guys that use to have hondas. So either way it's going to be lame.

Thank god it's not a nissan meet where half the people there are 16, or 15 and came with their dad.

ruah_23
03-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok so I just do some research at the subaru forums.
They said that the boxer engine consume a lot of oil after past 7k miles.
Is that true?I haven't heard anything wrong with the evo yet so far.As far as the model wise, I like the subaru better but what I am looking for is having the car without having to bring them to the dealer frequently.I am just sick of trouble cars and I have spent a lot of money on them.

Trey
03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
the evo is hands down more reliable than the sti.

Which is obviously your opinion. ;)

Fact: Mitsu cars are less reliable as a whole. :D

Here is a more reliable interpretation of how both cars handle on the track:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700334&highlight=track

And the last Atlanta region Solo-II where the two EVO's were slower than the three STi's (moreso driver and setup differences tho):

http://lists.carlc.com/pipermail/solo2atlanta/2005-March/012873.html

In a nutshell, both cars will handle the same to most people out there. If you have track experience, you will be able to tell the difference, which is very minimal. Start modding the suspension and that difference is even harder to distinguish.

I do like the EVO, don't get me wrong, I just didn't get one because the lack of dealer "support" and the reliability issues the company has been plauged with forever.

Did I mention that Subaru of Gwinnett has an AWD dyno and tunes cars there? They even flash the ecu. Rick Case would have a heart attack if that were his place. lol

Also, I have 20k miles on my car, it's been tracked and auto-x'd and it doesn't "consume" any oil at all. Don't believe the hype.

Oh and I still consider myself a Honda guy that just drives a Subaru at this time. :D

If you can't find the deal you want, check the internet. I bought mine from a dealer in Jacksonville because none of the ATL dealers wanted to "deal" back in 03. I got mine for $500 over invoice, which at the time was great.

Trey
03-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey Tray, you think I can trade in my 04 for an 05? :D

LMK, it's got a lil over 20k miles.

slowwrx
03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I had the pleasure of driving a modded EVO and a completely stock STI at the track last week. I was truely impressed by how fast the STI was around the track. If you were going to leave both of them stock then I would buy and STI. However we all know the likely hood of you leaving them stock is slim to none.

Matt

Trey
03-27-2005, 07:39 PM
lol, that's the truf! :D

I told my wife I wanted the STi 'cuz it already had go fast goodies on it.....sike! :D

SleepingTalon
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Matt, you did notice however that factory to factory it may have been a toss up. The EVO feels more nimble, and the factory tires are better, thats for sure. However, the STI is deceptively fast through the turns, and just when you think you cant push it more, you are suprised that it has more left. My impression after driving them both at the track with you and Dan was that the EVO felt like a smaller car when pushing it. Driving the EVO was a bit more different because of the massive power it has, at least that particular one. I would've like to seen what a stock one does at the track, no upgrades at all, but overall, I liked the feel of the EVO better. The STI was no slouch through the corners at all, infact, its probably more responsive, the displacement helps it thought turns, it just feels a bit bigger.

slowwrx
03-28-2005, 10:22 AM
You are correct sir.

I really prefer the styling of the STI over the EVO.

Stock for stock it would probally be a toss up.

If your going to mod the engine I would buy the evo.

Tracer
03-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm hoping that when my Sti project is finished, people will see that Sti's are great cars and everyone will stoping hating on them. Just give me sometime....... :)

ruah_23
03-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm hoping that when my Sti project is finished, people will see that Sti's are great cars and everyone will stoping hating on them. Just give me sometime....... :)

What do u plan on doing it?
I heard from the sti owner that u can chane from awd to rwd but just turning the button..Is that right?
Does the evo has the same kind of function?

Tracer
03-29-2005, 06:08 AM
I don't really want to discuss what I plan on doing to it on the forums. Cause there are eyes watching. But if you catch me at Batlground, I can give you some info. on this project. But right now the only people that need to know is me and Dan(Batlground).

TRAY_STi
03-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Dude. Dans car is about done. Do you really think he cares what stuff is going in your car? :lmfao: There are prolly more then a dozen gt35r setups on STi's on Nasioc. Whats the big deal? Building a time machine?

deep spot is lame
03-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Fuck you, maybe Jasons setup isnt as simple as a basic gt35r. Who fucking cares if Dans shit is done. Why do you ASSume that the eyes he is talking about are yours.

Hugs and Fucking Kisses
Matt

TRAY_STi
03-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Wow, a ignorant ass post again by another bg cheerleader. :goodjob:

deep spot is lame
03-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Why dont you just go back to licking Porters BALLS

MikeSRT4
03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
"Angry arn't we" :crazy: ,

this is a discussion, not a pit fight. We all can have fast cars. Also there is a big world outside of this forum and Atlanta. In fact people from "Out Of State" may come and ruin ALL of your days.

Just remember you may be the Big Fish in the pond.
But how big is YOUR pond.

Mike

ruah_23
03-29-2005, 01:20 PM
All of u pls stick to the topic and stop arguing.
thank you and have a nice day!

PS..nice meeting with u today tray.:goodjob:

Trey
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
:rolleyes: yet more drama.......

Anyway, No you can't make the STi RWD by turning the center diff switch (DCCD).

All the dial does is either lock the center diff at 50/50 or the opposite setting is 35%/ 65% with bias to the rear wheels.

Any setting inbetween is a static ratio within both settings above.

Tracer
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey Tray, Yeah Dan's car maybe about ready......but my setup is totally different that he could think about running. I don't give a crap what Dan has or what Top Speed has. By the way, I building something alot better with all my friends at Batlground. Just wait and see all you non-believers. F-you

WRX_STi
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
You know Jason I was pretty cool to you. You asked for help and advice in building up your car. I offered you my cell phone number, talked to you the day you showed up at Top Speed for about 30 mins telling you what I was doing, showing you my whole setup and giving you my opinion on stuff. i was trying to help a fellow subaru enthusiast and I never once talked bad about your shop. Despite what people say on here. I see how you act now.
If I were you I wouldnt show your face around me again.

TRAY_STi
03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Nice meeting you today Joseph. I hope George can help you out.

Tracy
03-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Can we not go there? I don't think all of that is necessary.

You know Jason I was pretty cool to you. You asked for help and advice in building up your car. I offered you my cell phone number, talked to you the day you showed up at Top Speed for about 30 mins telling you what I was doing, showing you my whole setup and giving you my opinion on stuff. i was trying to help a fellow subaru enthusiast and I never once talked bad about your shop. Despite what people say on here. I see how you act now.

YOU may not have talked crap, but everyone else did that day. I'm sorry that you happened to get mixed up in it. Jason is new to the scene. He didn't know that when he mentioned our name that it would cause problems. He ws exploring his options. He hadn't heard of the problems between the 2 places. He found out that day when he mentioned our name and "someone" told him that we only work on Supra's why would you bring your car there and proceeded to make him feel bad about bringing the car here.

Tray, I left you a message on your cell and PMed you a couple of days ago. Could you call me back. I've been trying to resolve some things by phone, instead of on the net.

Tracer
03-29-2005, 06:54 PM

What's that supposed to mean, Dan? If you think you scare me, you're sadly mistaken. I went to ******** to get another Suby owner's insight on my project. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't go there to start anything. It was ********'s employee who came to me bashing Batlground.

So before you start threatening people....think before you speak next time.

yerrow
03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
if i were just a casual observer, which in reality i am, i wouldn't be going to BG just because their custy's seem like assholes that do nothing but ruin a good shops name. remember that if you represent a brand/store, then you represent the good and the bad. But in all of these last threads that have been locked and deleted, it always seems to be someone affiliated with BG.

ct9a gsr
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM

I can't wait... time for some friendly competition soon, eh? :D

Miranda
03-30-2005, 01:41 AM
if i were just a casual observer, which in reality i am, i wouldn't be going to BG just because their custy's seem like assholes that do nothing but ruin a good shops name. remember that if you represent a brand/store, then you represent the good and the bad. But in all of these last threads that have been locked and deleted, it always seems to be someone affiliated with BG.

Look. I'm not going to try to excuse the behavior of any customers from Batlground who have come online throwing insults out at anyone. That's uncalled for, and when it happens, it's taken care of accordingly. Dan and Tracy have a right to stand up for themselves, however, and I'm glad that Tracy is the kind of chick who isn't afraid to do so.

Just be aware, there is always more to stories like this than most know. I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Batlground and its customers while exonerating ******** and its customers if I only saw the situation from posts on a message board.

~ Miranda

Miranda
03-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Back on topic though...

I'll give you my thoughts on the STi vs. Evo gambit:

Don't touch an '04 STi. Not worth it. The Evo vs an '04 STi? The Evo wins hands down. Now, you go with an '05 STi, and it becomes a little more difficult to say. I owned an '04 STi with swaybars, springs and some other mild mods. My mother still owns an '04 STi. My STOCK '05 was significantly faster on track and in autocrosses than my modded '04 was.

Upgrades from '04 to '05 (someone chime in if I'm missing some) -

- wider wheel hubs
- 17x8 wheels
- aluminum lateral links
- aerodynamic undershield
- plush interior
- ****DCCD-B with Yaw sensor*****
- new steering rack mounts

The performance upgrades really help the steering inputs on the STi, which has even had some of my Evo friends beggin for codrives. ;)

If you want a street car, I would go Subaru. It's steering isn't quite as "telepathic" but it's still very quick. I've also noticed a big difference in the ease of driving (the Evo I drove was pretty laggy in traffic, which kinda sucked).

If you want a street car that's gonna be put to use on track or in autocross, I might opt for the Evo. The steering is still a little tighter than the '05 STi. Now, the downside to the Evo for motorsports purposes is its slightly higher center of gravity. The STi is pretty easy to mod to get enough room for 17x11 wheels for stability and grip (trust me, I know :D), while the Evo has a harder time getting anything under the car that will keep more than 1-2 wheels on the ground in turns. I watched the Evos at Nationals come up on 1 wheel during several turns! :eek: It was pretty scary.

The STi's drawback in motorsports is its completely worthless rear diff. Until I get my diff replaced, I will have a hard time keeping the inside rear from lifting, coming down, jerking the car and cutting power to that wheel. :(

Hope this helps in some way.

~ Miranda

ruah_23
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks Miranda!I test drove the sti yesterday, and it's way better than the Z.The thing I was wondering abt is what's the IC spray for??:confused:

As far as the evo, I've yet to test drive one, but Rick case is being a hard ass and have not contacted me about anything.....

iloveboost
03-30-2005, 07:52 AM
The thing I was wondering abt is what's the IC spray for??:confused:

The intercooler spray is to cool down air temperature flowing through.

The Evo's sound system is very nice. Personally, to me, it's a toss up. Both are great cars. I'd probably stick with the STi because like others have said, you won't run into as many problems with them honoring their warranty.

Edit: Assuming you weren't modding it much. If you plan on more power, and performance... Evo. More aftermarket parts are readily available.

namahs
03-30-2005, 11:12 AM

YOU ARE MAKING YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A GREAT GENTLEMAN. BY THE WAY, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOP YOU GO TO. You must want to be removed from this board, threats are not taken lightly by the administrators. You are not a nice person. You are a very bad boy and i think you need a spanking. lol. Maybee its time for you to MAN-UP and tell the truth.

But you are not a casual observer so it doesnt count. If you were one of our customers you would know that we go above and beyond the call of duty on each and every car we work on. We stay late, get here early, give information to every customer who wants to talk to us and on top of that we do great work and stand behind everything we do. Did i mention we dont charge customers for un-needed work.

REMEMBER: JUST BECAUSE WE DONT TAKE SHIT FROM ANYONE DOES NOT MEAN WE DONT TREAT OUR CUSTOMERS WELL. EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS WE DO OUTSTANDING WORK. ITS REALLY FUNNY, ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS SOMEHOW BECOME OUR FRIENDS............WE MUST TREAT THEM LIKE SHIT AND THEY MUST LOVE IT.

lets all get back on topic.

Miranda is right on the money, i think that you should consider the upgradability of the car and the reliability of the vehicle based on your goals. Evo's are much reliable than Suburus if you put any mods in the equation. NOt including intake and exhaust, i am talking about real mods.

WRX_STi
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I am allowed to get frustrated and vent :) and i already pm'd Jason and "hopefully" we got things sorted out. After I calmed down I descided it was better forum in PM's than here. We will see.

paulblackgsx
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
My experience with driving an STi and EVO is this: The STi is a lot torquier (is that a word???) than the EVO. It's a little more liveable for every day driving and every day tasks. However, I've been VERY impressed with what you can get out of an EVO with bolt ons. Honestly, for a stay stock or very lightly modded, I would probably go with the STi. With modest mods, no doubt EVO. All out? Pick one. Of course, I'm a Mitsu guy so I've have a natural bias towards the EVO.

BTW If you like drag racing, you might be better off with the EVO 5 speed. EVO 6 speeds and STi have an extra shift required.

Just my two cents worth.

WRX_STi
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Evo's can definately be modded easily. Mainly because the motor has been around for so long. Bolts ons already existed. The Sti motor was pretty much an unknown and it took 1 year for the ECU just to be cracked. Some EM companies are still working on versions for it. So it's has been behind the learning curve alot. That said, people are really starting to see the potential of it now with adding new turbos and such.

yerrow
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
YOU ARE MAKING YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A GREAT GENTLEMAN. BY THE WAY, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOP YOU GO TO. You must want to be removed from this board, threats are not taken lightly by the administrators. You are not a nice person. You are a very bad boy and i think you need a spanking. lol. Maybee its time for you to MAN-UP and tell the truth.

But you are not a casual observer so it doesnt count. If you were one of our customers you would know that we go above and beyond the call of duty on each and every car we work on. We stay late, get here early, give information to every customer who wants to talk to us and on top of that we do great work and stand behind everything we do. Did i mention we dont charge customers for un-needed work.

REMEMBER: JUST BECAUSE WE DONT TAKE SHIT FROM ANYONE DOES NOT MEAN WE DONT TREAT OUR CUSTOMERS WELL. EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS WE DO OUTSTANDING WORK. ITS REALLY FUNNY, ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS SOMEHOW BECOME OUR FRIENDS............WE MUST TREAT THEM LIKE SHIT AND THEY MUST LOVE IT.

its a known fact that BG does great work. i know that other shops know that. its undeniable and shows in the cars you put out and the numbers you lay down...i only wish i had the money to do some of the projects you guys have been doing. but reading some of the comments from previous threads that are now long gone) that have been thrown back and forth from some of your custy's and sometimes yourselves leaves me wondering that since you guys are so good and your business is so strong, then why do you even insist on adding fuel to the fire or not asking some of your more devoted clients not do the same?
i have no beef with either of the shops, i have never been to either of the shops, and have also never met anyone from either of the shops. so i have no basis to be biased to one or the other (aka not condemning 1 shop and praising the other)

ruah_23
03-30-2005, 10:17 PM
The intercooler spray is to cool down air temperature flowing through.

Ok so what do I have to observe or look to sprar the intercooler??
As far as modding it, since the car cost more than 30 grand, I don't think I'll be modding it much at all.

All I need right now is a fast car,daily driver and reliable(doesn't need mantainance all the time)

deep spot is lame
03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
I love this board.

HalfBaked
03-31-2005, 01:11 AM
I love this board.

Most definately.

I like the nissan forum the best, those people there get offended soo easily. I can say like 1 thing and get a 100 post thread about shit started. I heart it.

Miranda
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Most definately.

I like the nissan forum the best, those people there get offended soo easily. I can say like 1 thing and get a 100 post thread about shit started. I heart it.

Is it really that different here?

~ Miranda