PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Lets all take a step back and look at things

TSiFTW
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
To begin let me say this is in no way an attempt to bash anyone in anyway. I think that everyone in our scene should take a few steps back and ponder the thoughts of what made this scene so big in its hey day. Why are the big shows going under? Why is the scene dwindling down right in front of us?

I have to say it is because people have lost perspective on what is important. Everything will evolve. Sometimes bad and sometimes good. Think of it as Major League Baseball. Several years back the home runs got totally out of hand. Steroid use was helping to set records that are likely now to never be broken. For baseball it was great for a while, then they started realizing that if they didn't do something the grass roots of the sport would be lost forever. That is exactly what is happening to our hobby/scene/lifestyle. We are losing site of our roots, what made it in the first place. Car modification was nothing new, but doing it to the more modern, compact imports was. It didn't matter if you wanted to go fast, make it show worthy, whatever your goal was whether it be mild or all out wild, we had to work hard to get it there.

Then remember the day when you discovered that all of a sudden companies were making aftermarket parts for our cars? Holy Shit. We made it. Then the only thing we had to do was pull up to shows that were dominated by hotrods and minitrucks and try to not be laughed out. Guess what we didn't care if they laughed. We were driving what we wanted. You remember the first time you seen, or even heard about a Civic outrunning a Mustang. Everyone called BS. It could not happen. We had huge meets of like minded people who didn't give a shit what other people thought about what they drove. Then soon we had HUGE shows dedicated to the scene.

Now all that is slowly disappearing. If you are an OG to the scene then take a step back. Hell even go as far as taking some noobies under your wing and show them the way. Help them understand you don't have to do everything just like everyone else. After all is that not how we got started in this? Doing things that everyone else thought was just ridiculous. Parts companies are suffering. Honestly does it matter that someone wants to go wild with their build. Not to me. Look at the Hot Rod scene. They are still around cause they build their cars for themselves. Not for everyone else. Hell the whole car modification scene in general was built on going farther, pushing the limits of your capabilities.

One of the most overused terms I hate to hear is " different is not always better". Well to each his own. Different to you may look like shit, but to the person that did it it may be bad ass. Every old schooler here has went to a show and gotten beat by a car that you thought did not look as good as yours. Now at a show it would be hard to make a decision as a judge because they all look so similar.

Point to all of this is whether you build your car to race, show, whatever do not be scared to think out of the box a little. That is the foundation of our whole scene. If you buy parts from the parts companies, they can afford research and development to make new better stuff. They can afford to set up vendor booths at the shows. Then we may have our big shows. There will always be trends, but it using our creativeness that sets you apart. One more thing. Everyone wants to have a fast car, but lets be real, the majority admit it or not build your car to impress. You don't go out racing all the time, you drive it around town and sit in parking lots showing it off. If you try to be creative and innovative you will get praise. Even if you don't who cares it is your car. On that note I will end by saying that it is what it is, but it will not grow unless we make it grow. It's not dead in other parts of the country but out here on the east coast it is slipping away.

PURP
08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
JDM fo lyfe nukka.

lulz

TSiFTW
08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
JDM fo lyfe nukka.

lulz

LULZ. I know. I just felt like saying what I feel. Started typing and couldn't stop. I don't give a shit what style anyone likes, just wish more thought was put into it. Like a bunch of damn JDM zombies.

PURP
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
LULZ. I know. I just felt like saying what I feel. Started typing and couldn't stop. I don't give a shit what style anyone likes, just wish more thought was put into it. Like a bunch of damn JDM zombies.

People are just scared to step out of the box. They are afraid of what people on import atlanta will say about their car. That's life tho.

RL...
08-17-2009, 10:23 PM
My car is more jdm than yours. WORD

TSiFTW
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
My car is more jdm than yours. WORD

My car was made in Normal Illinois. It has no JDM counterpart.

speedminded
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
To begin let me say this is in no way an attempt to bash anyone in anyway. I think that everyone in our scene should take a few steps back and ponder the thoughts of what made this scene so big in its hey day. Why are the big shows going under? Why is the scene dwindling down right in front of us?

I have to say it is because people have lost perspective on what is important. Everything will evolve. Sometimes bad and sometimes good. Think of it as Major League Baseball. Several years back the home runs got totally out of hand. Steroid use was helping to set records that are likely now to never be broken. For baseball it was great for a while, then they started realizing that if they didn't do something the grass roots of the sport would be lost forever. That is exactly what is happening to our hobby/scene/lifestyle. We are losing site of our roots, what made it in the first place. Car modification was nothing new, but doing it to the more modern, compact imports was. It didn't matter if you wanted to go fast, make it show worthy, whatever your goal was whether it be mild or all out wild, we had to work hard to get it there.

Then remember the day when you discovered that all of a sudden companies were making aftermarket parts for our cars? Holy Shit. We made it. Then the only thing we had to do was pull up to shows that were dominated by hotrods and minitrucks and try to not be laughed out. Guess what we didn't care if they laughed. We were driving what we wanted. You remember the first time you seen, or even heard about a Civic outrunning a Mustang. Everyone called BS. It could not happen. We had huge meets of like minded people who didn't give a shit what other people thought about what they drove. Then soon we had HUGE shows dedicated to the scene.

Now all that is slowly disappearing. If you are an OG to the scene then take a step back. Hell even go as far as taking some noobies under your wing and show them the way. Help them understand you don't have to do everything just like everyone else. After all is that not how we got started in this? Doing things that everyone else thought was just ridiculous. Parts companies are suffering. Honestly does it matter that someone wants to go wild with their build. Not to me. Look at the Hot Rod scene. They are still around cause they build their cars for themselves. Not for everyone else. Hell the whole car modification scene in general was built on going farther, pushing the limits of your capabilities.

One of the most overused terms I hate to hear is " different is not always better". Well to each his own. Different to you may look like shit, but to the person that did it it may be bad ass. Every old schooler here has went to a show and gotten beat by a car that you thought did not look as good as yours. Now at a show it would be hard to make a decision as a judge because they all look so similar.

Point to all of this is whether you build your car to race, show, whatever do not be scared to think out of the box a little. That is the foundation of our whole scene. If you buy parts from the parts companies, they can afford research and development to make new better stuff. They can afford to set up vendor booths at the shows. Then we may have our big shows. There will always be trends, but it using our creativeness that sets you apart. One more thing. Everyone wants to have a fast car, but lets be real, the majority admit it or not build your car to impress. You don't go out racing all the time, you drive it around town and sit in parking lots showing it off. If you try to be creative and innovative you will get praise. Even if you don't who cares it is your car. On that note I will end by saying that it is what it is, but it will not grow unless we make it grow. It's not dead in other parts of the country but out here on the east coast it is slipping away.I think this is why everyone should get involved with the "old school" scene. Doesn't mean they have to go out and buy and maintain a car, simply show up or help with the shows to see the roots of the cars they own today and how far they have come...

PURP
08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
The quote in your sig Jason, made me lol, after looking at the pic

DeeAOne
08-17-2009, 11:11 PM
agreed.

mkiv_gli
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Bump

speedminded
08-17-2009, 11:45 PM
The quote in your sig Jason, made me lol, after looking at the picGlad I could entertain you. :D The author claimed it wouldn't be amusing to anyone but me yet I've received quite a few reps on it lol! Not to mention all the comments on it got deleted :lmfao:

marcos713
08-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Agreed!, s3 magazine talks about the scene slipping away as well. Im pretty much a noob considering im 18, only bn in the scene for a lil under 2yrs so idk much about the history. I would hate for the scene to fade here in ATL b4 i even get to enjoy it properly.

zspeed24
08-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Feeling the same way after being gone for so long i came back wondering WTF happened to the custom type cars... there really aren't that many anymore guess i'm just getting old. Tryin to decide on resurrecting the ol cavi or building the wifes mazda.

TSiFTW
08-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Agreed!, s3 magazine talks about the scene slipping away as well. Im pretty much a noob considering im 18, only bn in the scene for a lil under 2yrs so idk much about the history. I would hate for the scene to fade here in ATL b4 i even get to enjoy it properly.

I should subscribe to them then.:goodjob: Also it is up to you guys, to keep it going. Try new things, step outta the box. You never know when something you decide to do starts ending up on other cars. We just need more leaders. Right now there are only a select few and everyone else follows.

Kevykev
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I will read this thread soon

PURP
08-18-2009, 12:55 PM

I understand you're young and not been in the scene long. But your car is a prime example of what's wrong with the scene. I know it's not your fault, being as you've been in the scene for very lil. But honestly, modding a car is not adding a jdm tyte lip and putting rotas on it. Again, that's not directed at you in any way.

Mr.Ek9
08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I understand you're young and not been in the scene long. But your car is a prime example of what's wrong with the scene. I know it's not your fault, being as you've been in the scene for very lil. But honestly, modding a car is not adding a jdm tyte lip and putting rotas on it. Again, that's not directed at you in any way.

Exactly, one of the main reasons that the scene as a whole is dying, is because of all of the people buying Rotas, sportmax, JDM STYLE products, and all of the other ebay-esque knock-off products. Buying these products only hurts the industry as a whole by not allowing the companies that helped found it the funds to continue R&D on new products.(TRUST, HKS, etc.)

TSiFTW
08-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Exactly, one of the main reasons that the scene as a whole is dying, is because of all of the people buying Rotas, sportmax, JDM STYLE products, and all of the other ebay-esque knock-off products. Buying these products only hurts the industry as a whole by not allowing the companies that helped found it the funds to continue R&D on new products.(TRUST, HKS, etc.)

Well put. +for you.:goodjob:

speedminded
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Exactly, one of the main reasons that the scene as a whole is dying, is because of all of the people buying Rotas, sportmax, JDM STYLE products, and all of the other ebay-esque knock-off products. Buying these products only hurts the industry as a whole by not allowing the companies that helped found it the funds to continue R&D on new products.(TRUST, HKS, etc.)lololol! So HKS coming out with a new blow-off valve is going to promote the car scene? If Endyne creates a new carbon fiber intake manifold then we'll have meets with 86,000 people and 6,500 cars at Atlanta Motor Speedway again like we did in 2001? Whether its Rota or Work, a booth at a venue costs the same for a vendor. No matter the company advertising space is going to cost the same in a car magazine. So please explain...

TSiFTW
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
lololol! So HKS coming out with a new blow-off valve is going to promote the car scene? If Endyne creates a new carbon fiber intake manifold then we'll have meets with 86,000 people and 6,500 cars at Atlanta Motor Speedway again like we did in 2001? Whether its Rota or Work, a booth at a venue costs the same for a vendor. No matter the company advertising space is going to cost the same in a car magazine. So please explain...

I think what he means in general is no one hardly actually buys real parts and truly modifies their cars. I mean come on knock off companies aren't gonna rent a booth at a big show or magazine space. They are in it for the money not the scene.

batlbrandon
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree and disagree. The Big companies are dying because they too have not evolved. The Big companies are also having a hard time because the Car manufacture is now making a "better" product. Just think about it. 6 years ago: name one easily available/affordable 300hp 6 cylinder car from the factory? Name 1 200 hp 4 cylinder under 25k? The whole industry is changing. The technology is accelerating so fast aftermarket can't keep up. It won't die, but it may be that we don't recognize it anymore. Just think in 10 more years we will be seeing more Supras and Skylines on Barrett Jackson. Well maybe not 10 but you get the point right? Fast and Furious editions and NOPI cars or Formula Drift restorations.

TSiFTW
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I agree and disagree. The Big companies are dying because they too have not evolved. The Big companies are also having a hard time because the Car manufacture is now making a "better" product. Just think about it. 6 years ago: name one easily available/affordable 300hp 6 cylinder car from the factory? Name 1 200 hp 4 cylinder under 25k? The whole industry is changing. The technology is accelerating so fast aftermarket can't keep up. It won't die, but it may be that we don't recognize it anymore. Just think in 10 more years we will be seeing more Supras and Skylines on Barrett Jackson. Well maybe not 10 but you get the point right? Fast and Furious editions and NOPI cars or Formula Drift restorations.

You are right but what is the percentage of people, just on this site who drive newer factory 300hp cars. Most still have older Hondas, 240's, DSM's, etc. To the ones that do drive the newer more modern cars, they are suffering from lack of research and development on theirs. How long did it take for good parts to start coming out for the Evo X. !0 years ago the parts would have been there soon as the first ones were hitting peoples driveways. Look at the 99si coupe, people were stopping by the aftermarket parts stores on the way home from the dealership.

Seun
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
6 years ago: name one easily available/affordable 300hp 6 cylinder car from the factory? Name 1 200 hp 4 cylinder under 25k?

I got my 03 Rsx-S back in late 02 for 22k OTD. :D

speedminded
08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I think what he means in general is no one hardly actually buys real parts and truly modifies their cars. I mean come on knock off companies aren't gonna rent a booth at a big show or magazine space. They are in it for the money not the scene.A majority of the "high dollar" items are all made in the same factory as the cheaper items. It's all marketing. Those that truly have a superior product with the management that can control it will remain successful.

The cost of a dozen or two peoples tickets is probably equal to the cost of a vendor spot at a show. Yes the market has been saturated with an influx of shops and retailers but the strong and wise survive and are able to give back to the community. Nopi couldn't survive or compete with online retailers that have 1/4th the overhead they did, I think they waited several years too late to close down their stores. Was keeping the stores open and paying the salaries of all those that worked there considered giving back to the community? Maybe yes and maybe no.

Take Richard Branson for instance, when he realized that CD's were going out because of newer technology that Virgin Records may not have control over he changed his business tactics and created the cell phone company Virgin Mobil. That change of tactics is needed...

What part of the car scene is dying? Shows with over 50,000 people and 5,000 cars? What does everyone want to see, what are they missing? More driving events vs. shows? Road Atlanta had a record attendance at Petit Le Mans last year with 113,000 people. Overall the 2008 the ALMS series attendance averaged out to be 80,000 people per race.

What is truly missing from the car scene?

EP3sAreFun
08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
When people talk about the "scene" and "trends" and "leaders" it just makes me cringe. You guys make it sounds like high school.

People don't do anything different? I think the import scene is finally evolving to be like other car groups. Motorcycles for example. If i'm on a 2007 CBR RR and i pass a 1980 harley davidson, chances are he will wave and i'll wave back. When i had my 99 GSX-R i would pull up to a light next to people on any bike, and they would say "a damn fine day for riding inst it?" I think alot of the car people in "the scene" are WAY too competitive. they have to be prettier, more original, faster, better, cooler. more everything than the next guy. Don't get me wrong, its good to a point. You need some competition to make people push themselves. but there's just no positive atmosphere i guess is what i'm trying to say.

I guess what I'm getting that is the scene is the people, not the cars. and when you have a bunch of super-competitive DICKS, your gonna have a shit group of people who are dicks and what-not.

Thats why the only car people i tend to hang out with is other Starion/Conquests. We have an understanding that we are more of a family and we stick up for each other. Sure we have arguments and what not, it can't be hugs and kisses all the time. But, over all there just seems to be a sense in camaraderie that i don't see throughout the rest of the import scene. I guess the same goes for alot of the old school fellas. We, the old school guys, know that if we need something for our cars we have to make something work or make a complete one-off part! we can't call a company and order a motor swap or body kit or suspension package.

I'm sorry if this came off as ramblings but i do hope i got my point across. thank you to whoever actualy reads and understands this.

Kevykev
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
I see people pouring their heart into this thread.

I commend you all.

TSiFTW
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I see people pouring their heart into this thread.

I commend you all.

Passion is what it is all about. Regardless of what you like or how you wanna do it if you dont have the passion then it means nothing. If you are doing what everyone else is doing just to be cool you are not helping the scene. I don't care if anyone thinks my car is cool. If I am passionate about building it it will show through into my car.

speedminded
08-19-2009, 12:55 AM
When people talk about the "scene" and "trends" and "leaders" it just makes me cringe. You guys make it sounds like high school.

People don't do anything different? I think the import scene is finally evolving to be like other car groups. Motorcycles for example. If i'm on a 2007 CBR RR and i pass a 1980 harley davidson, chances are he will wave and i'll wave back. When i had my 99 GSX-R i would pull up to a light next to people on any bike, and they would say "a damn fine day for riding inst it?" I think alot of the car people in "the scene" are WAY too competitive. they have to be prettier, more original, faster, better, cooler. more everything than the next guy. Don't get me wrong, its good to a point. You need some competition to make people push themselves. but there's just no positive atmosphere i guess is what i'm trying to say.

I guess what I'm getting that is the scene is the people, not the cars. and when you have a bunch of super-competitive DICKS, your gonna have a shit group of people who are dicks and what-not.

Thats why the only car people i tend to hang out with is other Starion/Conquests. We have an understanding that we are more of a family and we stick up for each other. Sure we have arguments and what not, it can't be hugs and kisses all the time. But, over all there just seems to be a sense in camaraderie that i don't see throughout the rest of the import scene. I guess the same goes for alot of the old school fellas. We, the old school guys, know that if we need something for our cars we have to make something work or make a complete one-off part! we can't call a company and order a motor swap or body kit or suspension package.

I'm sorry if this came off as ramblings but i do hope i got my point across. thank you to whoever actualy reads and understands this.It completely makes sense. When I was driving both my Z32 300zx and Land Rover other owners would always wave or nod or stop and chat if I was parked. In my Integra I'd just have a moron mean mugging and revving his engine next to me lol!

That's the main reason I like being in older cars...young, or old, people seem to appreciate them more. They're happy to see something like that running and they'll tell you they had one as a kid, as their first car, or maybe their parents drove one when they were younger.

That's another reason why I like older BMW's. Nobody really wants to race you because it looks slow. It's old, it's boxy, and doesn't look like it will get anywhere in a decent amount of time...and most of them won't lol! But if I was broken down on the side of the road I would safely bet another [older] BMW owner would stop to lend a hand and I'd do the same. I'm sure the same goes with the Starion/Conquests...or they'd just want to buy it for parts :tongue:

Speaking of Starions, I need a pair of seat sliders from an '87 or whatever other model is applicable. :goodjob:

marcos713
08-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Passion is what it is all about. Regardless of what you like or how you wanna do it if you dont have the passion then it means nothing. If you are doing what everyone else is doing just to be cool you are not helping the scene. I don't care if anyone thinks my car is cool. If I am passionate about building it it will show through into my car.

totaly agree! u have to have passion for the scene and wat ur doing to ur ride not just follow a trend and do things to ur car bcuz you see other pple doing them. its about just loving the scene and ur ride regardless of wat it is and being proud of wat u have accomplished with all ur hard work and help from friends. its great being a part of such a big scene, meeting new pple whether it be at meets, shows, or here on IA. 2yrs ago i got into the scene and along the way have learnd alot and met alot of new pple and friends.

like the saying goes "eat sleep jdm". u eat u sleep u wake up and ur already thinking about riding out or for example me for instance, got off work at 11pm, left marietta at 330am to go to IA in tenessee, tryd to get a lil power nap in but was to excited so cudnt sleep. i knw many other on here did the same as well. from wat i saw up there our scene is getting bigger and every1 i met there was friendly and loved their cars and didnt mind giving u a run down of their mods, ect. more than 6500 freakin carz!!! yes companies are going bankrupt like greddy and nopi but the scene is still pushing 4ward. our scene may slow down but it will never die! :goodjob:

marcos713
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM

not taken personaly, but yes i do knw that is not modding a car, i think my car looks practicaly stock on the outside. and about the rotas, i understand that buying from them is not helping out the scene at all thats y i dont lol. my wheels are buddy clubs and jus saying , they had a booth this year at IA selling my same wheels.

JITB
08-19-2009, 10:37 AM
The Vip scene will never die!

speedminded
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
totaly agree! u have to have passion for the scene and wat ur doing to ur ride not just follow a trend and do things to ur car bcuz you see other pple doing them. its about just loving the scene and ur ride regardless of wat it is and being proud of wat u have accomplished with all ur hard work and help from friends. its great being a part of such a big scene, meeting new pple whether it be at meets, shows, or here on IA. 2yrs ago i got into the scene and along the way have learnd alot and met alot of new pple and friends.

like the saying goes "eat sleep jdm". u eat u sleep u wake up and ur already thinking about riding out or for example me for instance, got off work at 11pm, left marietta at 330am to go to IA in tenessee, tryd to get a lil power nap in but was to excited so cudnt sleep. i knw many other on here did the same as well. from wat i saw up there our scene is getting bigger and every1 i met there was friendly and loved their cars and didnt mind giving u a run down of their mods, ect. more than 6500 freakin carz!!! yes companies are going bankrupt like greddy and nopi but the scene is still pushing 4ward. our scene may slow down but it will never die! :goodjob:
not taken personaly, but yes i do knw that is not modding a car, i think my car looks practicaly stock on the outside. and about the rotas, i understand that buying from them is not helping out the scene at all thats y i dont lol. my wheels are buddy clubs and jus saying , they had a booth this year at IA selling my same wheels.quoted to translate later!

RL...
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I think if we all adorned ourselves in head to toe with NOPI attire and tried just a little harder to be JDM the scene would be much better. True stuff.

Just_lookin
08-19-2009, 01:27 PM
It completely makes sense. When I was driving both my Z32 300zx and Land Rover other owners would always wave or nod or stop and chat if I was parked. In my Integra I'd just have a moron mean mugging and revving his engine next to me lol!

That's the main reason I like being in older cars...young, or old, people seem to appreciate them more. They're happy to see something like that running and they'll tell you they had one as a kid, as their first car, or maybe their parents drove one when they were younger.

That's another reason why I like older BMW's. Nobody really wants to race you because it looks slow. It's old, it's boxy, and doesn't look like it will get anywhere in a decent amount of time...and most of them won't lol! But if I was broken down on the side of the road I would safely bet another [older] BMW owner would stop to lend a hand and I'd do the same. I'm sure the same goes with the Starion/Conquests...or they'd just want to buy it for parts :tongue:

Speaking of Starions, I need a pair of seat sliders from an '87 or whatever
other model is applicable. :goodjob:

got thte same thing when i had my 280zx... i had older people always telling me how they had one back in the day... it just makes you feel good that your doing somethng diff... i got my 2nd 240 not cuz every one has them and not cuz i wanna drift it... i love the cars.. how they ride how you feel sitting in it the stance of the cars everything....

Just_lookin
08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
not taken personaly, but yes i do knw that is not modding a car, i think my car looks practicaly stock on the outside. and about the rotas, i understand that buying from them is not helping out the scene at all thats y i dont lol. my wheels are buddy clubs and jus saying , they had a booth this year at IA selling my same wheels.

car is still clean... i just hate seeing over done hondas that stick out worse than an orange hat w/ a lime green bill.....

HypnoToad
08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
The Vip scene will never die!
idk,but iim gonna say

domestic scene > import scene

u dont see all the trends and fads,just sticks to the roots.

THEONE
08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
this is good stuff. im impressed,ive always been the i build my car for me not you i follow no trends type of guy.if you like it i dont care,if you dont like it i dont care .so im diggin this thread.

batlbrandon
08-19-2009, 06:30 PM
It completely makes sense. When I was driving both my Z32 300zx and Land Rover other owners would always wave or nod or stop and chat if I was parked. In my Integra I'd just have a moron mean mugging and revving his engine next to me lol!

But see thats just it the current scene is looked down upon on by most old school hot rodders and the general masses because of the huge amount of ricers and dumbasses. There is no distinction between quality and garbage in those peoples eyes. That goes for the majority of people buying parts and doing work on the current cars too, no distintion between quality and garbage. Slap on some shit and run it into the ground. We that are "pouring our hearts out" are the minority unfortunately. I think the biggest difference in the old school hot rodders and the current scene is pure numbers. They had their "ricers" and we have ours but we have 100 times as many. In time the posers will fade and the die hard will remain, then the next crop will take over. We will look at their hybrids/plug-ins making 400 whp and shake our heads and say "what a turd" or "my dinosaur oil burning REAL car will blow the doors off that spark-o-matic" :lmfao:

Deke
08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Edit: ^LOL, QFT

idk,but iim gonna say

domestic scene > import scene

u dont see all the trends and fads,just sticks to the roots.

I agree 100%

I've got so many negative thoughts towards the "scene" and current trends that I don't even have the motivation to type them out.

I used to wonder what was up a lot of the old-timers' asses, but now I'm starting to feel like one of them.

1SICKLEX
08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Gets on soapbox....

Having personally thrown show, events both free and paid for what 7 years where are the torch carriers? I am not an O.G to the entire scene but I am to the Lexus one. Where are the people to carry things on? I also don't mean in a cursing, ranting, unclassy, talk crap way. Don't talk about it, be about it. There are people willing to help and show people how to organize things. You cannot DEPEND on the SAME PEOPLE all the time!!

What happened to doing like you say? Don't say AND POST your coming to a show or meet. COME to the meet or show. They need support. On the flipside organizers if you are going to ask people to come BE ORGANIZED, thus the name "organizer". Hell buy a $1 journal and write names and take a rollcall. Do as you SAY! Word is your BOND!

What happened to unity? We have a tremendous scene in Atlanta. Stop talking so much crap all the damn time. Stop being so judgemental. It's ridiculous. I have to catch myself sometimes from doing it. From shows, to cars to people, what is with all the negatively and acting like your shit don't stink? Stop trying to classify everything and stop saying you can't do this but you can do this. ARE YOU PAYING FOR THEIR MODS???? On the flipside LISTEN TO ADVICE and DON'T GET UPSET with opinions. People will share them. I ask try to be mindful with them. Mazda, Honda, Lexus, BMW, Lancia, SEAT, Jaguar, etc etc etc THEY ARE ALL CARS.

Act like you got some sense. There is a time and place to act a monkey. I did, I am not going to act like I didn't do silly things. However don't do it EVERYWHERE. It makes good people STAY AWAY from events. The damn burnouts, the loud ass music, the parking in 4 spaces like you drive a Ferrari Enzo. There is a time and place for that.

Now let me talk about show and event organizers.

I've held shows and been a judge at other events. I'm tired of half ass shows or shows that all look the same. I'm tired of shows with no thought. I think if you are going to charge people $20 or $30 etc LET IT BE WORTH IT. Have more than the same categories. The same cars are winning. Stop with the bias. People simply don't want to come anymore, they are TIRED of half ass events. Don't get mad people stop going to shows.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES. I don't mean login and chat shit all day. Go to the bookstore and read on cars. Research cars OTHER THAN YOUR FAVORITES and learn about them. OPEN your mind. Go to a race or two. We have ALMS here and Road Atlanta among other tracks. Check them out. Go to different shops, talk to them, check them ALL out, not just your favorite. Take your ass to the TRACK!!!

Last DO NOT LOSE YOUR ENTHUSIASM. I know we are hearing the doom and gloom, I know there are a lot of negative comments, I know a lot of new cars are just damn ugly :D I know CAFE standards are changing but DO NOT LOSE your LOVE FOR CARS. Things will evolve and GET BETTER. Every scene hits a slow or rough patch. One thing I love about watching Barry Meguiar on his show is he LOVES EVERY CAR and the ENTHUSIASM behind it.

Whats important is learning from it and making things better. And it begins with you.

Gets off soapbox.

P.S-sounds like its time for a SELOC supershow :)

TSiFTW
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Gets on soapbox....

Having personally thrown show, events both free and paid for what 7 years where are the torch carriers? I am not an O.G to the entire scene but I am to the Lexus one. Where are the people to carry things on? I also don't mean in a cursing, ranting, unclassy, talk crap way. Don't talk about it, be about it. There are people willing to help and show people how to organize things. You cannot DEPEND on the SAME PEOPLE all the time!!

What happened to doing like you say? Don't say AND POST your coming to a show or meet. COME to the meet or show. They need support. On the flipside organizers if you are going to ask people to come BE ORGANIZED, thus the name "organizer". Hell buy a $1 journal and write names and take a rollcall. Do as you SAY! Word is your BOND!

What happened to unity? We have a tremendous scene in Atlanta. Stop talking so much crap all the damn time. Stop being so judgemental. It's ridiculous. I have to catch myself sometimes from doing it. From shows, to cars to people, what is with all the negatively and acting like your shit don't stink? Stop trying to classify everything and stop saying you can't do this but you can do this. ARE YOU PAYING FOR THEIR MODS???? On the flipside LISTEN TO ADVICE and DON'T GET UPSET with opinions. People will share them. I ask try to be mindful with them. Mazda, Honda, Lexus, BMW, Lancia, SEAT, Jaguar, etc etc etc THEY ARE ALL CARS.

Act like you got some sense. There is a time and place to act a monkey. I did, I am not going to act like I didn't do silly things. However don't do it EVERYWHERE. It makes good people STAY AWAY from events. The damn burnouts, the loud ass music, the parking in 4 spaces like you drive a Ferrari Enzo. There is a time and place for that.

Now let me talk about show and event organizers.

I've held shows and been a judge at other events. I'm tired of half ass shows or shows that all look the same. I'm tired of shows with no thought. I think if you are going to charge people $20 or $30 etc LET IT BE WORTH IT. Have more than the same categories. The same cars are winning. Stop with the bias. People simply don't want to come anymore, they are TIRED of half ass events. Don't get mad people stop going to shows.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES. I don't mean login and chat shit all day. Go to the bookstore and read on cars. Research cars OTHER THAN YOUR FAVORITES and learn about them. OPEN your mind. Go to a race or two. We have ALMS here and Road Atlanta among other tracks. Check them out. Go to different shops, talk to them, check them ALL out, not just your favorite. Take your ass to the TRACK!!!

Last DO NOT LOSE YOUR ENTHUSIASM. I know we are hearing the doom and gloom, I know there are a lot of negative comments, I know a lot of new cars are just damn ugly :D I know CAFE standards are changing but DO NOT LOSE your LOVE FOR CARS. Things will evolve and GET BETTER. Every scene hits a slow or rough patch. One thing I love about watching Barry Meguiar on his show is he LOVES EVERY CAR and the ENTHUSIASM behind it.

Whats important is learning from it and making things better. And it begins with you.

Gets off soapbox.

P.S-sounds like its time for a SELOC supershow :)

One of the best damn posts I've seen yet. Reps to you sir when I can.:goodjob:

1SICKLEX
08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
One of the best damn posts I've seen yet. Reps to you sir when I can.:goodjob:
I commend you for starting this thread.

1SICKLEX
08-19-2009, 10:58 PM

I disagree somewhat. In America, its about money and not quality or safety which is fine, I am a capitalist. Thus ANYTHING from ANYBODY can be sold, thus big companies have to compete with some shoddy "look a like" things. In the "must have it now" generation, instead of saving and waiting to buy the real thing, well its fine to buy knock-offs. We live in a culture where "Do what you want" is fine, even if its not safe or logical. THINGS HAVE CHANGED and while I welcome and evolve with it, I am not going to say its always better.

In GERMANY for instance, they see cars completely differently and respect the consumer. You have to go through great pains to be able to sell modifications in Germany. THEY DON'T MESS AROUND. If the product is not up to snuff, it won't pass or be sold. Hell just look at THEIR license test and OURS. Completely different ends of the spectrum.

marcos713
08-20-2009, 01:05 AM
quoted to translate later!

Lol sry I was just trying 2 condence a lot of thots. But its stil understable