PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors NEW BOW TO ME - first shots today

Truegiant
08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I have not posted alot in here yet. I used to hunt alot with bows a couple of years back but about a year ago I got injured real bad on my right shoulder at work (US ARMY) and had to sell my bow. I tore everything in my right shoulder and ripped half of my rotator cuff. I was told I would never be able to shoot again. I sold alot of my high power rifles and like I mentioned before my entire bow setup. Bow, sights, rest, arrows, release, cube, etc..

Well after almost a year of physical therapy I started looking for a bow with a light pull. I was put on to Bladerunner bows that are made here in GA. I am all about keeping my money local so I did my research. I actually found one on here lightly used (thanks again buddy) and snagged it up. These bows are really nice. You can adjust the draw weight without having to buy new limbs. You can adjust the draw length with a pair of $10 modules and you can do all of it without a bow press. Sounded like my kind of rig.

I started doing some research on sights, rests, arrows, etc.. I decided to head over to my local archery shop. I headed down to "shop will remain nameless". I can honestly say I felt pushed off when I went in as a noob. I had never really gotten real serious with a nice rig. I had a nice setup that I was comfortable with before but wanted somethign that was going to last a good while. They really tried pushing me into a direction that I didnt want to go. They wanted me to buy one of there "name x" rigs and shoot there custom "name y" arrows. I asked them to help me put something together with my current bow and they were just not interested.

I headed over to the trusty old bass pro. I spoke with 2 nice gents there. One shoots some amatuer tournys locally and the other was a young fella who worked there. Both were extremely nice and both bounced ideas off eachother and me to help me pick a nice setup. Neither overly pushed something based on a price or a big named brand. They helped me pick the items they thought would help. Being that they have a range there it allowed me to shoot something and then put it back if I didnt like it.

MY SETUP - Bladerunner ISO FORCE BOW
http://bladerunnerarchery.com/
31" Draw
42lb draw weight
26" axle to axle

I purchased a set of Carbon MAXX 3000's with 2" blazer vanes. They were cut to 30.5" and installed with 100gr field tips. There total weight was 380grains. I wanted something that would work with the current light draw weight but still be suitable for a heavier pull. They both told me I would be happier with these. They said it was a good mixture of kinetic energy and speed. I enjoyed whisker biscuts before because I didnt want to rush into a shot and drop off the rest. I purchased a nice whisker biscut. I then purchased a 5 pin trophy ridge fire wire V5. It has the inline pins instead of the 5 up and down. I shot both and I actually preferred the V5. Both gents said it was the brightest day sight they had ever shot. I was impressed with what it did and also impressed that it was on sale.

Using one of there releases we headed into the range. Bass pro guy shot the bow with 3 arrows first to gauge how they tore through the paper. He was amazed at the speed and how smooth, quiet, and perfect the arrows went through the paper. The guy said he had never seen one shoot that perfect out of the box so to say. We then headed to 10yds to setup the V5 sight. After 3 shots we moved her around. 3 more and we were hittin the bull. He commented again at how fast it was at that light of a draw weight. He asked if we could shoot it one more round and he pulled out the hand chrono. It average 220fps. He said that it was roughly 42ft/lbs of energy and it wasnt bad at all for the draw weight. Anywho.. We both were curious what it would shoot at 75-80lbs.. haha.

Anywho.. I was surprised at how quiet and smooth she shoots. I am sure that I will get many a year of huntin with her!

I will give some new photos with all the goodies tomorrow. ITS LATE!

cobalt9123
08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Awesome that you can hunt again.
I'd make sure you're at close range with that draw weight, most deer will be able to jump out of that arrow's way, but good luck :)

Truegiant
08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
haha.. please explain to me how you have come at this conclusion. I am pretty sure that people have been killing deer for centuries with bows that shoot well below 150 ft/sec. 220fps was the norm in the mid 90's. My bow creates more than enough kinetic energy which is plenty good for a large bodied deer.

Gotta take into consideration this is a super quiet bow too. Compared to my last bow this one sounds like a sewing machine racing a big block with open headers.

cobalt9123
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
haha.. please explain to me how you have come at this conclusion. I am pretty sure that people have been killing deer for centuries with bows that shoot well below 150 ft/sec. 220fps was the norm in the mid 90's. My bow creates more than enough kinetic energy which is plenty good for a large bodied deer.

Gotta take into consideration this is a super quiet bow too. Compared to my last bow this one sounds like a sewing machine racing a big block with open headers.

Years of bow hunting is how I've came to this conclusion haha. I've seen deer buck at 55-60LB pull bows that were very quiet. Just make sure you're close(that's what the people in the old days did) :ninja: .
42LBS is plenty enough to penetrate I'm just talking about actually hitting the deer.

Truegiant
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
ok.. well i have never had that problem but i will take it into consideration. Indians used to kill buffalo with long bows out to 400yds. I wouldnt say that is close.

Anywho.. Updated pics to come after I am done shooting tonight.

Truegiant
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Well. I spent about an hour shooting today. Did a little tinkering with the sights and the overall bow trying to get used to the new setup. After playing with it for a little while I started trying to sight her in.

I sighted the first pin in for 10yds. Most folks would think that is to short but its what I wanted so enough said there.
My groups at 10yds were fairly spot on. It took me a while to get back into the mechanics of it with stance and breathing.

I sighted the second pin in at 20yds. I noticed that she was shooting dead on at 10 but a little to the right at 20. My main focus was to get the distances adjust properly.

I then shot just a couple at 30yds but didnt mess with the 3,4 and 5 pin yet.

I will say that I am becoming more and more confident with the bow. It is a very forgiving bow I think. I dont expect to shoot 1" groups at 40-50 yds but i do expect it to hit point of aim. The pictures below of the target are just a couple of shots. The ones in the top right are at 20yds and I was super impressed with how she shot. The ones in the bottom left are the only ones i shot at 30. just wanted to see how close she was. I havent shot a bow in well over a year so i felt that i jumped back into the swing pretty good.

I did get kind of miffed. I was getting ready to shoot my last 30yd shot and i got stung in the leg by a bee right when i was going to release and i jerked to the left. I shot the brand new arrow into the wooden fence. Enough said it broke trying to pull it out. Oh well.. Spoils of war.

I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY THE PHOTOS!! Please feel free to critique anything you see. Thanks again.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/Hunting/DSCN1146.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/Hunting/DSCN1147.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/Hunting/DSCN1148.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/Hunting/DSCN1149.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/truegiant/Hunting/DSCN1150.jpg