PDA

View Full Version : General Chat flat black on larger parts *help*

THEONE
08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
i need some advice on rattle can painting larger parts like hoods,
everytime i do a hood it end up with a ton of streaks fenders and doors no problem they look great but hoods and trunks look like ass.
do you think it would help to take the hood off and paint it on its side? i used 5 cans of flat black already on the hood and sanded and cleaned it before the last coat also.still looks like crap.
oh and where can i find that roll on paint kit?

Arm&hammer
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
don't do rattle can.
But if you must.
wet sand the fuck out of it.
Primer then spray.
Make sure not to spray too much and spray in one direction.

boostedb16
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
i need some advice on rattle can painting larger parts like hoods,
everytime i do a hood it end up with a ton of streaks fenders and doors no problem they look great but hoods and trunks look like ass.
do you think it would help to take the hood off and paint it on its side? i used 5 cans of flat black already on the hood and sanded and cleaned it before the last coat also.still looks like crap.
oh and where can i find that roll on paint kit?thats just rattle can. its something to do with the aerosol in the can.

HillClimbGuy
08-16-2009, 11:15 PM
It works better when you use Dupli-Color spray cans the nozzle gives it a better fan and it does not ''spit'' that bad. you will pay more for it tho:D :D :D

JessAlba452
08-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Yep ... rattle can if you must will have to be duplicolor. :) Otherwise you're going to need a spray gun, and compressor...plus other things lol.

jdm_integra
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM
use a roller my brother n law painted his whole car with it and doesnt look bad at all

B3AST
08-23-2009, 12:37 AM
yea you can always do the $40 paint job, which really isnt $40 its more like $100 but your going to have to do it right to make it look alright, but it would be a pain in the ass to get your car painted the right way after you go for the $40 paint job

VQ35 Star
08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.siwid.com/IMAGES/satajet3000.gif

B3AST
08-23-2009, 09:52 AM
^:goodjob:

egibbs123
08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
you can buy a $40 spray gun at lowes.....worth the investment if you do a lot of painting.

VQ35 Star
08-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Lol if your gonna be doing a lot of painting you might aswell get something nice.
Satas your best bet. But you can argue iwatas could be better if you know how to use them.

If you must rattle can try to give a little more space between can and panel and go a little lighter and do 80% overlaps with each pass. there is a trick with paint. Its not heavier and less coats its ALWAYS LIGHTER AND MORE COATS, until coverage.

THEONE
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
yeah i know i use to spray with real paint years back i have a compressor a gravity feed spray gun i used for clear and a siphon i used for base coats and a crap gun for primer ive got buffers and rubbing compounds all that stuff.actually the guns belong to a moderator on here he bought a bunch of stuff and forgot to take the guns i think it was btlfed.ive been holding them for 3 years lololol

ive just never been able to pull of a decent rattle can flat black ever. ive tried every way possible on side panels it looks good but hoods and roofs looks like crap.
i would use my paint guns but i have no place to spray so im gonna give the rustoleum thing a shot 1 quart of flat and some thinner and a few foam rollers its not to exppensive like 35.00 for material since i have all the sanding stuff already and tape.

Z0_o6
08-23-2009, 08:48 PM
main thing is to back up and spray it with thin light coats to that you can get even coverage. if it is streaking you are going way too heavy with it, you have to almost dry spray or dust it with the paint.

THEONE
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM
main thing is to back up and spray it with thin light coats to that you can get even coverage. if it is streaking you are going way too heavy with it, you have to almost dry spray or dust it with the paint.

when i do that even after 4 or 5 coats it looks fuzzy like it has little hairs stickin up

Turbodude06
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM

^yep thats the best way:goodjob:. But it is very hard to get a large surface with a can very good.....

AnthonyF
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Invest in a cheap paintgun. You can get a paint gun for like 50-100 bucks and you'll have a much better result and it will end up being cheaper if you continue to paint items.

-Ant.