PDA

View Full Version : New AC system installation on 93 civic question

Schugg
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
i was looking to buy a new ac compressor after a bad experience with a remanufactured one i bought, probably from some bootleg company. but i couldnt find any new so now im just buying a orielly remanufactured one and trying that out. along with replacing the ac compressor, im replacing the condenser, and accumulator. im thinking of replacing the expansion valve but i have heard its a pain in the ass, i dont know if its bad or how to know if its bad, should i go ahead and do that since im doing all the other things or is it unlikely to have anything wrong with it. the car never had good ac, cause i bought it with a bad compressor, replaced that with a bad remanufactured one, and since then its been riding around with no ac parts in the engine bay. car has at least 325,000 miles and its a 93 civic VX. is there any other ac parts i should think about replacing?

AnthonyF
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Explain bad compressor? If the lines were leaking or leaking behind the pulley, you don't REALLY need to replace all of those items. Your AC will be much colder if you replace all of those though. If your compressor was making a ton of noise, then yes, you should replace all of those items BUT make sure you clean out the lines of any unwanted debry. If you don't, that trash can get back into the compressor and destroy it and you have to start alll over.

-Ant.

Barefoot
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Explain bad compressor? If the lines were leaking or leaking behind the pulley, you don't REALLY need to replace all of those items. Your AC will be much colder if you replace all of those though. If your compressor was making a ton of noise, then yes, you should replace all of those items BUT make sure you clean out the lines of any unwanted debry. If you don't, that trash can get back into the compressor and destroy it and you have to start alll over.

-Ant.dat right

Tech5
08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
wrong, a compressor with that many miles I suggest replacing all. If not all the trash and metal will get into your new parts and damage them!!!

I would replace all, the expansion valve is super easy takes me 15 mins..... not hard at all and will make a world of a difference and last a long time. BTW most companys will NOT warranty anything if you don't replace them all...Condensors can be cleaned out and reused and the evaporator also as long they are not leaking and the fines are in great shape....

I am a ASE certifed A/C Tech also

Schugg
08-16-2009, 05:14 PM

-Ant.

the original compressor it had when i bought the car, the guy said it ust needed recharged, but after i got the car home, i seen the compressor had a hole on the backside of it. so i called that one bad, bought the random companies remanufactured compressors, charged everything up at a shop and it wouldnt get cold, just started off cool and got hotter. went back to the shop and told them that it was a remanufacture and they said if it wasnt a good company they probably didnt replace all the seals and what not. so i was just like whatever, went home took it apart and it looked like shit inside so just assumed it was never reman'd and trashed it.

how would i clean out the lines?

Schugg
08-16-2009, 05:17 PM
wrong, a compressor with that many miles I suggest replacing all. If not all the trash and metal will get into your new parts and damage them!!!

I would replace all, the expansion valve is super easy takes me 15 mins..... not hard at all and will make a world of a difference and last a long time. BTW most companys will NOT warranty anything if you don't replace them all...Condensors can be cleaned out and reused and the evaporator also as long they are not leaking and the fines are in great shape....

I am a ASE certifed A/C Tech also

replacing all parts i named, or all parts as in those things, and other things i didnt list, and probably dont know about? what is a good way for cleaning the condenser? i can do that now since its still sitting in my garage.

Tech5
08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Reason it didnt get cold is your head presure was way to high....

The hint for the old compressor having a hole in the back is because it blew the valve out,,,

need to replace

compressor,expan valve,dryer

clean the lines with brake cleaner and compressed shop air,clean until all the black crap is out of the lines, clean the condenssor,evaporator also and the other lines if you can.... best of luck....

make sure you get the presure correct on the low side and high,.,,. 2 -12 oz cans feron tops

AnthonyF
08-16-2009, 05:43 PM