PDA

View Full Version : Back into photography D90 or 50D?

JessAlba452
08-16-2009, 12:42 AM
I read the Canon vs. Nikon thread and it's pretty much even. So I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma. Thinking of getting back into photography and I wondered what would you guys prefer out of these pro-sumer models?

Canon 50D - $1300 range w/ 28-135mm kit lense
Nikon D90 - $1100 range w/ 18-105 kit lense

If not those two then...
Canon 40D - $1000 range w/ 17-85mm kit lense

I've owned a Canon 40D before, and really liked it. A pro with the 50D is the extra MP, but is it worth it?! Though the 50D I've seen sometimes has more noise in the images than the 40D.

Pro's on the Nikon is the video mode and better kit glass I've heard. Only con I can see with the Nikon is that I'm so used to the controls of the Canon 40D that I'll have to re-learn using the camera lol.

I've also read that using flash with the Nikon would be a better route than using flash with a Canon. This I don't know why, but I am interested in getting into maybe wedding photography.

Do any of you who have had experience with a Nikon or Canon notice any lag in write time to the memory card. CF vs SD?

PS: If anyone has a D90 that wouldn't mind me shooting with for an hour or so lmk. Thanks for the feedback guys! :camera:

.blank cd
08-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Most of Nikons glass is superior

james
08-16-2009, 06:56 AM
At this point it would be an even draw, with for you, a slight advantage to canon. having knowledge of menu/camera layout already is a step up. If you don't already own a bunch of nice lenses, then its going to be up to you to choose. Head down to showcase and touch them both and test them out and stuff and decide from there. I'd rather have the 40-50D, and I have owned dslr's from both brands, but that's just me.

JessAlba452
08-17-2009, 01:59 AM
The only thing right now that would get me to use a Nikon is that it's cheaper than the 50D, with a better kit glass. I like the range of 18-105 more so than 28-135 or 17-85. I'd rather have that than to go out and buy another lens haha. :)

I will just have to check out more images from both cameras before I really decide. Right now it's between the 40D Canon & D90 Nikon...for price.

One thing I've noticed though is for wedding photography Nikon is more popular than Canon. Any reasons why?

Maybe I'll just have to flip a coin haha. :)

Nemesis
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
One thing I've noticed though is for wedding photography Nikon is more popular than Canon. Any reasons why?

Where are you getting this from?

Personally I had a 50D for a bit with some L lens, and while it was nice, when Im back in the market for another body and glass, im going back to Nikon.

there... I said it :ninja:

Tarzanman
08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I wondered what would you guys prefer out of these pro-sumer models?
Canon 50D - $1300 range w/ 28-135mm kit lense
Nikon D90 - $1100 range w/ 18-105 kit lense
If not those two then...
Canon 40D - $1000 range w/ 17-85mm kit lense
I've owned a Canon 40D before, and really liked it. A pro with the 50D is the extra MP, but is it worth it?! Though the 50D I've seen sometimes has more noise in the images than the 40D.

I haven't used the D90, but on paper, the features and specifications (and options) would make it the better choice than the 40D/50D.

As for whether the 40D of 50D is better... its not that the 50D is a bad camera, there are folks who feel that it isn't much of an upgrade over the 40D. If it were between those two, I'd get whichever you found the better deal on.

Pro's on the Nikon is the video mode and better kit glass I've heard. Only con I can see with the Nikon is that I'm so used to the controls of the Canon 40D that I'll have to re-learn using the camera lol.

I've also read that using flash with the Nikon would be a better route than using flash with a Canon. This I don't know why, but I am interested in getting into maybe wedding photography.
Nikon has more works-right-out-of-the-box off-camera flash options than Canon. As for lenses, Canon has the larger offering of mid-range lenses, which you might want to consider if you don't plan on only getting high end lenses.

Do any of you who have had experience with a Nikon or Canon notice any lag in write time to the memory card. CF vs SD?
Not with my Rebel. The burst-mode is limited by the camera processor/hardware.

CHADbee
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
should have asked i would have let you play with mine yesterday!!! i didnt know!

i really like my D90, the only thing is over the past few months nikon lens have went up in price alot. if you plan on buying f2.8 pro glass and you go nikon be prepared for some nasty sticker shock on those lens.

xbn83
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
D90's high iso noise performance is superior. Nikon CLS is awesome. Check out the "Hot shoe diary" by Joe McNally. D90 has build in wireless flash commander mode which uses the pop up flash to trigger wirelessly SB-600/800/900. Even kit lens 18-105mm VR is excellent. Don't know if you already checked out DXO mark:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/267|0/(appareil2)/294|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Nikon (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/%28appareil1%29/267%7C0/%28appareil2%29/294%7C0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon)

JessAlba452
08-17-2009, 01:56 PM
+ REP For everyone that replied!

should have asked i would have let you play with mine yesterday!!! i didnt know!

i really like my D90, the only thing is over the past few months nikon lens have went up in price alot. if you plan on buying f2.8 pro glass and you go nikon be prepared for some nasty sticker shock on those lens.

LoL I was tempted to, but I didn't want to hold up the photog session! You know the girls @ the meet were ready to go :lmfao:

But would def like to check it out. Handling it at WolfCamera just isn't enough time to really get a feel for things. I'll bring my SD card also so that I can take a look at the pics afterwords.

Where are you getting this from?

Personally I had a 50D for a bit with some L lens, and while it was nice, when Im back in the market for another body and glass, im going back to Nikon.

there... I said it :ninja:

LoL I heard you have a 50D for a little while!!! Hmm...maybe it's time to check out Nikon. If worse comes to worse, I can always sell and pick up a Canon! :D

I haven't used the D90, but on paper, the features and specifications (and options) would make it the better choice than the 40D/50D.

As for whether the 40D of 50D is better... its not that the 50D is a bad camera, there are folks who feel that it isn't much of an upgrade over the 40D. If it were between those two, I'd get whichever you found the better deal on.

Nikon has more works-right-out-of-the-box off-camera flash options than Canon. As for lenses, Canon has the larger offering of mid-range lenses, which you might want to consider if you don't plan on only getting high end lenses.

Not with my Rebel. The burst-mode is limited by the camera processor/hardware.

I agree the kit for Nikon is a bit better than the 50D...and about $200 less. :D
Also I was thinking about moving down to the D40 Canon since I agree, the upgrade isn't really worth $400 more. I did not know about their lenses though, sigh I need more $ lol. :) I will just have to stick with Sigma for the time being.

D90's high iso noise performance is superior. Nikon CLS is awesome. Check out the "Hot shoe diary" by Joe McNally. D90 has build in wireless flash commander mode which uses the pop up flash to trigger wirelessly SB-600/800/900. Even kit lens 18-105mm VR is excellent. Don't know if you already checked out DXO mark:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/267|0/(appareil2)/294|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Nikon (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/%28appareil1%29/267%7C0/%28appareil2%29/294%7C0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon)
Awesome :D Thanks for the link. I've only looked at dcresource + dpreview but this is a good site!

Kamikaze
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I love my D90. The only drawback, like stated earlier, is the price of pro glass. However, I do believe that it's worth it.

.blank cd
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I would say you had an advantage buying a canon camera since you already had one, but when I went from a d40 to a d200, alot of the buttons and stuff changed around so it was like learning it again. I also got a chance to play with a 5d and it only took me a few minutes to learn my way around it. I'm pretty biased so
I'm gonna say nikon but it's really all what you wanna spend.