PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Civic Si Throw CEL

IloveLindaT
08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I have a 1999 Civic Si Throwing a CEL.

Car was boosted before, and Now back to stock.

But its a LS/VTEC now.

B18A1 Bottom end with Crower Rods, and CP 9:1 Compression.
B16a2 Original head, With dual valve springs and retainers.
Header, Hi-flow cat, and Magnaflow B pipe with Twinloop Axleback
Walboro 255lph still in the car. Stock P2T 99-00 Si ECU.
Stock intake box with MAF Sensor stuck in.

Its throwing a CODE P0170

Fuel System too Lean Bank 1.

I have a Brand new Distributor (so new cap new rotor buttom)
New Spark plugs and Wires.

I just did a Valve Adjustment today, Water pump and Timing belt.

How could I check to see if theres a Vaccume leak?

How could i check if the MAF Sensor that goes to the Intake is Faulty?

And is there a Way to Check if the O2 sensor is still good?

Please let me know. Im tired of driving on Tag Applied for Tag.

Barefoot
08-13-2009, 12:04 AM
id start with the ecu. stock b16 ecu on a ls vtec.

IloveLindaT
08-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Its only throwing a code for P0170.

Im using the Stock B16a2 Ecu because Im trying to get it to pass emissions.

Can some one help me diagnos this. Im in Gwinnett Area.

Me86Rob
08-13-2009, 01:50 AM
do what i always did on my mustang. put a piece of electiral tape over my check engine light and go when its near dark outside

Humphrizzle
08-13-2009, 02:08 AM
use a socketed p28

IloveLindaT
08-13-2009, 03:06 AM
But the car has to Stay in OBD2 Mode in order to pass emissions right?

Unless you passed with your Blue SI up there like that? More details.

Humphrizzle
08-13-2009, 03:15 AM
my si is stock b16a2.

you can have it tuned OBD1 and use p28 ecu.

mainstream, batlground or any reputable shop should be able to make the motor pass emissions.

IloveLindaT
08-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Its only throwing that code, I checked Vaccume, Replaced Primary and Secondary O2, New Hi-flow cat, Stock Fuel Components, and going to change fuel filter tomorrow.

COuld it be the MAF sensor that goes into the intake?

Is there a shop around Gwinnett that will help me diagnose this CEL and get me to pass emissions. Please let me know.

Barefoot
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM
my si is stock b16a2.

you can have it tuned OBD1 and use p28 ecu.

mainstream, batlground or any reputable shop should be able to make the motor pass emissions.smalls what. he will fail right off the bat if he takes the test with a obd1 ecu.

ok whats your current fuel pressure

Turbodude06
08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
do what i always did on my mustang. put a piece of electiral tape over my check engine light and go when its near dark outside

^That wouldn't work if it was OBD1 or 2:lmfao:.... OBD2 it would still read it, and OBD1 they have to see it come on and then click off:lmfao:.... And u would probably still fail the sniffer.....

smalls what. he will fail right off the bat if he takes the test with a obd1 ecu.

ok whats your current fuel pressure

^ yep the obd1 ecu will not read for the emissions..............................

I have a 1999 Civic Si Throwing a CEL.

Car was boosted before, and Now back to stock.

But its a LS/VTEC now.

B18A1 Bottom end with Crower Rods, and CP 9:1 Compression.
B16a2 Original head, With dual valve springs and retainers.
Header, Hi-flow cat, and Magnaflow B pipe with Twinloop Axleback
Walboro 255lph still in the car. Stock P2T 99-00 Si ECU.
Stock intake box with MAF Sensor stuck in.

Its throwing a CODE P0170

Fuel System too Lean Bank 1.

I have a Brand new Distributor (so new cap new rotor buttom)
New Spark plugs and Wires.

I just did a Valve Adjustment today, Water pump and Timing belt.

How could I check to see if theres a Vaccume leak?

How could i check if the MAF Sensor that goes to the Intake is Faulty?

And is there a Way to Check if the O2 sensor is still good?

Please let me know. Im tired of driving on Tag Applied for Tag.

Theres one of ur problems:goodjob:.... Get an 02 non fowler or a normal cat...... I would go with the non-fowler, I used them twice on civics, one with a test pipe, and the other with a high flow cat..... Both passed emissions:D......

preferredduck
08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
check O2 sensor, after my cat was gutted i got the same code, when i switched the O2 to an obd-1 i was rich. after putting the cheap universal O2 in the code went away. you may not need a new one but check it out, if you have a spare or a buddy with one hook it up and check it out. mine has always been trouble on bank 1 but in the past i would get an O2 code randomly because something did not read right in the ecu.

btw i am running a jdm b16a with CTR cams and more air flow too with a obd2-b Si ecu.

IloveLindaT
08-14-2009, 02:27 AM
check O2 sensor, after my cat was gutted i got the same code, when i switched the O2 to an obd-1 i was rich. after putting the cheap universal O2 in the code went away. you may not need a new one but check it out, if you have a spare or a buddy with one hook it up and check it out. mine has always been trouble on bank 1 but in the past i would get an O2 code randomly because something did not read right in the ecu.

btw i am running a jdm b16a with CTR cams and more air flow too with a obd2-b Si ecu.

So change Primary huh?

I just put a new one on like 2 months ago, Both New. Shit was expensive too.

Does that Non Fowler really work?

Im about to just give up and do it the illegal way. Im tried of dropping money after money and still the problem doesnt get solved.

Formally...
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
The problem you have is that you are running a bigger motor on the stock ecu. If you look at the fuel trims (OBD2 scanner with realtime data) you will see that the fuel trims are too high. This means that the ecu is seeing that the a/f ratio is lean and trying to add fuel. After a set time of the ecu seeing these high fuel trims it will throw a CEL for System too lean. The only easy way to fix this is too get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and raise the fuel pressure until the fuel trims get between -10 and +10. You will need a scanner with realtime data to see this. You may be able to just take off the vac line going to the FPR and plug the line. This has worked on a customer car of ours that had a B20/vtec and had to get emissions with the stock B16 ecu. Good luck.

Turbodude06
08-14-2009, 01:12 PM
The problem you have is that you are running a bigger motor on the stock ecu. If you look at the fuel trims (OBD2 scanner with realtime data) you will see that the fuel trims are too high. This means that the ecu is seeing that the a/f ratio is lean and trying to add fuel. After a set time of the ecu seeing these high fuel trims it will throw a CEL for System too lean. The only easy way to fix this is too get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and raise the fuel pressure until the fuel trims get between -10 and +10. You will need a scanner with realtime data to see this. You may be able to just take off the vac line going to the FPR and plug the line. This has worked on a customer car of ours that had a B20/vtec and had to get emissions with the stock B16 ecu. Good luck.

Are us sure? Cause he should be running the same injectors as his b16 right? I had an ITR motor with 11:5:1's in a gsr, with a factory gsr ecu and it passed emissions just fine.... And with it being it obd2 and that highflow cat is reading to much fuel, cause its not being burnt by the cat........

Formally...
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
^ You were running a 1.8L motor with a 1.8L ecu. He is running a LS/vtec with a B16 ecu. Yes he should have the same injectors but the ecu doen't know that it is a larger motor and needs a little more fuel.

OP you need to get a realtime scanner and see what it is doing. This will help you determine the next step.

Turbodude06
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
^ You were running a 1.8L motor with a 1.8L ecu. He is running a LS/vtec with a B16 ecu. Yes he should have the same injectors but the ecu doen't know that it is a larger motor and needs a little more fuel.

OP you need to get a realtime scanner and see what it is doing. This will help you determine the next step.

Oh ok I just figured same injector sizes, they would run the same amount of fuel.........:goodjob: But that said its still going to fail emissions/throw a code, with a high flow cat:cry:

IloveLindaT
08-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Weird thing is that my CEL light was only today, I drove to Autozone to get it check, but they didnt clear the code... So I drove to a cousins house about 10 miles, and the Code went away for like 20 minutes. Now its back on. Im freakin pissed.. I should have went and taken the test then and there.

GRRR

Im Fed up with this SI. Its a piece of shit. Imma just get a new car and call it a day with no worries. I've dumped about 300-400 dollars fixing things and buying O2's and Still havent fixed the problem.

IloveLindaT
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone with a Realtime Scanner in Gwinnett?

I would go to mainstream but this Heat and Traffic is going to kill me.

Barefoot
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
The problem you have is that you are running a bigger motor on the stock ecu.that reminds some thing this guy said but was majorly over looked because he is crazy.
id start with the ecu. stock b16 ecu on a ls vtec.

Tech5
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM

That is funny I have done this same swap same ecu with no issues!

IloveLindaT
08-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Dang. Well Mainstream Fixed the P0170 Code. Now its Throwing a P1336 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor. Shit is 95 dollars over at Honda. If Someone has one on here I will have to scoop it up. Will a Obd1 work? Thanks

NoWAyItZTOMmY
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
why dont u bypass it

Barefoot
08-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Dang. Well Mainstream Fixed the P0170 Code. Now its Throwing a P1336 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor. Shit is 95 dollars over at Honda. If Someone has one on here I will have to scoop it up. Will a Obd1 work? Thanksi got 1 for $5

IloveLindaT
08-15-2009, 02:01 AM
1 i got 1 for $5

PM me a number, is the Clip on the sensor still good and does the Sensor still work?? Comes with both 10mm screws? LMK.

Also does it matter if its a OBD1 or OBD2..

I also need a NON WORKING Distributor, So I can swap the Housings. Has to be B series Vtec OBD2.

IloveLindaT
08-15-2009, 02:03 AM
why dont u bypass it

Because maybe if I bypass it, it might not let me pass emissions. I've had the car for 6 days, and I dont ever go out past dark because Cops would be pulling me over just because they have a reason to check my license and stuff. But Im legit, though I just hate dealing with cops. Waste of time.

NoWAyItZTOMmY
08-15-2009, 02:22 AM
if u bypass it your cel goes away. did it on my uncles car so he can pass emission.

Barefoot
08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Because maybe if I bypass it, it might not let me pass emissions. I've had the car for 6 days, and I dont ever go out past dark because Cops would be pulling me over just because they have a reason to check my license and stuff. But Im legit, though I just hate dealing with cops. Waste of time.it will pass with a done.

IloveLindaT
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Changed the Crank Sensor today. Hopefully its done.