PDA

View Full Version : ROYAL PURPLE........

blackshine007
08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Is the biggest waste of purple piss oil I have ever purchased in my life. I will never buy that bullshit again. I've had the generic synthetic last longer than RP and around 2500 miles my oil was getting black. My oil don't start to get black until 4500 miles. Rotella synthetic 5w40 ftw!

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:00 PM
RP has a high detergent value, it turns black faster because it's cleaning. You cant really judge RP from one use. That and.... the oil is purple... obviously its not going to maintain its color like other oils.

Probably not the best oil for a higher mile DD, The dirt could be holdin urs together.

STRteg
08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Used royal purple in my 01 gsr teg burned it up in about a week switched back to mobil 1 never burned oil again

southside
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Friend used it on his SOHC then he realized it wasnt doing shit for his motor.So now he went back to castrol.

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:15 PM
A lot of people say the same thing.... in an older engine, the immediate effect of using RP is often negative because of the high detergent. Continued use will get your engine clean and keep it clean. Using it in a new engine will keep it clean.

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
If you read the RP website it even tells you that you have to change ur oil more often in an older/dirty engine.

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
" Royal Purple recommends following the manufacturer’s maintenance intervals while the vehicle is under factory warranty. In clean engines that are no longer under warranty, oil change intervals may be extended up to every 12,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Oil filter changes should be done as recommended by the filter’s manufacturer and oil should be topped off as needed.

In dirty engines, Royal Purple recommends the standard 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil and filter change interval until the engine oiling system is clean and free of deposits left by lower quality oils and / or poor maintenance or mechanical problems. This will allow time to gradually remove existing deposits without overloading the oiling system. Mechanical problems such as fuel dilution, coolant leaks into the crankcase, poor air filtration and / or failure to maintain proper oil level are all detrimental factors to the service life of any engine oil. Any one of these factors can significantly shorten the useful service life of any oil.
"

blackshine007
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
RP has a high detergent value, it turns black faster because it's cleaning. You cant really judge RP from one use. That and.... the oil is purple... obviously its not going to maintain its color like other oils.

Probably not the best oil for a higher mile DD, The dirt could be holdin urs together.
Nice try but my motor has about 80k miles on it. My compression numbers are no less than 218 psi and no higher than 223 psi. If you take off my valve cover it's a light gold. I keep up on the maintenence. My oil is changed every 5-6K and I never run it low on oil. Due to the fact that It revs to 8k on occasion it's gonna burn some oil, but no more than 1qt between oil changes. The oil felt as if it was breaking down very early. Not all engines are designed for high detergent oils. RP is just plain crap. I gave my extra qt of RP away to someone who thought it was the shit and let them tear their engine up.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/529756/fullsize/torrn-apart.jpeg

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice try but my motor has about 80k miles on it. My compression numbers are no less than 218 psi and no higher than 223 psi. If you take off my valve cover it's a light gold. I keep up on the maintenence. My oil is changed every 5-6K and I never run it low on oil. Due to the fact that It revs to 8k on occasion it's gonna burn some oil, but no more than 1qt between oil changes. The oil felt as if it was breaking down very early. Not all engines are designed for high detergent oils. RP is just plain crap. I gave my extra qt of RP away to someone who thought it was the shit and let them tear their engine up.

i understand you hold ur engine in high regard... but 80k miles is HIGH MILE. Usually the build up in an engine is whats keeping the old oil seals together. High detergent oils break away those deposits and often expose a prexsisting leak or weaken an old oil seal. It's not rocket science. An oil that is not suited for your particular use does not make it a bad oil. High mile oils lack the detergents and do more to condition old seals. Oils like lucas condition and fill in the old seals and help compression. RP is a cleaner, it cleans whatever build up is in your oil system and in an older engine, you run the risk of exposing a leak or weak point in your system. It has nothing to do with the oil itself. It's YOUR CAR. I dont doubt that mobile or any other HM oil works better for you, but your opinion on RP is baseless. You expect it to be jesus juice for your engine or something and that is not the case.

MINI
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Castrol full synthetic FTW!

Amazing stuff!

Sinfix_15
08-11-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.thezstore.com/store/graphics/00000001/large809007.jpg

blackshine007
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
^^That looks expensive :yes:

http://base.cygnuspub.com/images/Products/FMS/2008/May/300x300/ShellOilComp_TSynthetic5W40Mot_FMS_0.png

This is in my budget :yes:

rizzler
08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
i used royal purple in my 97 altima... burned. used mobil 1.. perfect.

now only mobil 1 goes into my civic...
mobil 1 fully synthetic ftw

Capt._Ron
08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I dont know about other engines but I have run royal purple in my sr's for years and beat the shit out of them with no problems at all.

southside
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM
^^That looks expensive :yes:

http://base.cygnuspub.com/images/Products/FMS/2008/May/300x300/ShellOilComp_TSynthetic5W40Mot_FMS_0.png

This is in my budget :yes:Just wondering what kinda Rotella I should use if my car is suppose to use 10w30? All the Rotellas I see at walmart and other places are like 15w45 or something odd.I have heard nothing but good things about Rotella oil.

marcos713
08-12-2009, 12:24 AM
ive used royal purple in my car and didnt burn for the 1000miles i drove normal. but in high rpms i burnd it faster than i usualy burn oil in high rpms. all n all i like RP bcuz it does clean ur engine but for a high mileage engine its just a waste of money, IMO its better to stick to 10-40 oil like castrol, rotella, mobile ect.

HypnoToad
08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
never tried the RP,i just run normal castrol 10w40 in my 155k mile SBC...never burns oil or gets low between changes.

Sinfix_15
08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
people keep posting the same comment about RP... i'm assuming not a single person took the time to read the explination for why its happening.

zombieslider
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
dont worry about it, they arent gonna understand it no matter how many times you explain it

people keep posting the same comment about RP... i'm assuming not a single person took the time to read the explination for why its happening.

WTF?
08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
dont worry about it, they arent gonna understand it no matter how many times you explain it x2 people just dont understand about RP, i use it in my car and way better than mobil 1 that i was using.

zombieslider
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
i used to only use mobile 1 then i saw some studies on oils and it didnt do so hot(actually it was one of the worst) castrol did really good and royal purple did the best as far as wear goes. When i rebuild my engine or if i get a low milage car im only gonna use royal purple in it

eraser4g63
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I have 6 Quarts of RP in my Garage that i will not use, I tried it once he Wankle disliked it switched back to Mobil1

BABY J
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I dont know about other engines but I have run royal purple in my sr's for years and beat the shit out of them with no problems at all.

BINGO!!! I won't anything other than RP. :goodjob:

speedminded
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
i used royal purple in my 97 altima... burned. used mobil 1.. perfect.

now only mobil 1 goes into my civic...
mobil 1 fully synthetic ftwThere is no Mobil 1 in the United States that is fully synthetic. Actually, I don't think they make it any where in the world now. They may still offer a true synthetic in Europe but I doubt it.

You're paying for a 100% PAO based Group IV oil yet Mobil 1 does not have a 100% synthetic oil. It is all a Group III conventional oil mix despite saying "fully synthetic". When they quit producing synthetic oil in the US nearly a decade ago they failed to mention it to their customers or adjust their prices accordingly. Their price has continued to go up even though all Mobil 1 is refined crude base oil, not synthetic.

I WAS their number 1 fan until Mobil 1 jumped on the band wagon of scamming the public.

*Update*

In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified mineral oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils.

tdurr
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
reps to the ppl who know their oils.

to the op, you need to do ur homework. Read up on ur oil facts, find some independent oil reviews with dynos(the silver 350z, anyone have that link?)

I have run nothing but RP in my car after i broke the motor in and everything looks brand fucking new. Hell my head is sill pure silver none of that "light Golden" shit.

hehe...

Motivation
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I ONLY ran RP in my DSM. After I started parting it out, I took motor apart. The head and underneath of the valve cover look NEW. all the parts are clean. The car ran great with it, it didn't break down that fast. I will definitely use RP in my next car I build.

speedminded
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I ONLY ran RP in my DSM. After I started parting it out, I took motor apart. The head and underneath of the valve cover look NEW. all the parts are clean. The car ran great with it, it didn't break down that fast. I will definitely use RP in my next car I build.Breaking down and being discolored because of the detergents cleaning the engine are two different things. Dark oil doesn't mean it's lubricating properties are lost, it just means it's cleaning the engine. The filter is absorbing any contaminates that may damage an engine anyways...or they're stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

BABY J
08-12-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206476

Z0_o6
08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
there will be arguments on this topic until cars are no longer around. i stay away from royal purple because i see it as nothing but a gimmicky marketing ploy. same for mobil 1. i use castrol GTX for dino oil, and when i need synthetic oil i pick up rotella t, amsoil or motul. i use honda oem filters on anything they will fit, but the newer honeywell filters don't seem to be of the same quality, so i may be searching for a new one soon. believe it or not the sti even uses a honda filter :)

BABY J
08-12-2009, 09:05 PM
At the end of the day, use what works for you. But the prob is most people have NO CLUE what does and doesn't work for them. Don't run RP b/c Baby J swears by it - PLEASE don't. Run it b/c you wanna see for yourself. And don't just look at the oil color and say "it sucks" - look at fuel consumption during that time, power delivery, engine temps... etc.

RL...
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I started using royal purple and my tranny shifts smoother, my redline has increased by 500 rpms, and I gained atleast 3.14 hp. I swear to allah this is true. My car even stays cleaner longer!

Sinfix_15
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Glad to see a few intelligent people chime in on this topic.

browningboy7
08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Man, I thought someone was calling out the mini cooper...*leaves*.

Sentra
08-13-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.thezstore.com/store/graphics/00000001/large809007.jpg

all your issues....are fixed here.

KevinT707
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Just use whatever oil fits your budget and makes the most sense.

I definitely don't use Royal Purple or any of the expensive oils.

Nemesis
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Mobil 1 bishes

Tech5
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
RP is the shitt!!!!

Yall kids don't know how much technology that has gone into making this oil!!!!

If we can trust it with our $50K engine in our outlaw car then I assure you boys could with your $1,000 motor

MrSVT
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Ow50 for the win!!!

Evil Goat
08-14-2009, 09:36 PM
jesus christ you guys are overpaying for oil....i use regular ol' 5w30 every oil change in the gto....now granted, i usually change my oil around every 4th trip to the track, and i average 3-4 passes a night, so if i drive the car there and back, with 4 runs, im putting somewhere around 280 or so miles on an oil change, i ran "synthetic" and k&n filters for the longest, but the gto takes 6qts and that shit started to hurt, once i bought my dd i stopped using high dollar oil and started changing it more often...probably the same price in the long run, but insuring i always have good oil in the car and not half spent oil towards the end of it's life cycle is a bonus, ive drained oil from my car that i shouldve rounded up and poured in the dd during an oil change, lol

FasTech
08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Lucas all day!!

CaTcH22
08-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Royal Purple XPR is a good oil for any car that is turbod or spraying nitrous. The XPR has an additive that breaks down any extra fuel that bypasses the rings and gets into the crankcase...and I dont give a shit about how much you pay for oil, but if you thin it out to the point were the viscocity value is changed...you WILL spin a bearing. If you dont believe me then the next time you boost or spray your car, pull the dipstick and see if it has a fuel smell....AND see if the level has actually gone up some. If you have this happening, you need the XPR!

Sinfix_15
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Royal Purple XPR is a good oil for any car that is turbod or spraying nitrous. The XPR has an additive that breaks down any extra fuel that bypasses the rings and gets into the crankcase...and I dont give a shit about how much you pay for oil, but if you thin it out to the point were the viscocity value is changed...you WILL spin a bearing. If you dont believe me then the next time you boost or spray your car, pull the dipstick and see if it has a fuel smell....AND see if the level has actually gone up some. If you have this happening, you need the XPR!

quality post. :goodjob: